Overpriced Items in Mac App Store

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ugp, Jan 22, 2011.

1. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

For one... Green Eggs and Ham... $24.99 Really??

Why is this so expensive.

And $49.99 for Call of Duty 4... Why are Mac Games overpriced?

They need to work on some of their pricing decisions.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

There is a huge thread about MAS being greed. In the end, it is developer's choice. It's not stupid who asks, it's stupid who pays.

3. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

Oh really i think bejewled is priced very reasonable compared to the ios version:D

4. ugp thread starter macrumors 65816

ugp

Some games and Apps are priced well but others are just insane.

5. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

I ment that the price difference is only 24€ For th same game

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

But like I said, developer makes the choice, not Apple (I think). I could make the simplest and most useless app in the world and ask 99$ for it. Obviously, some devs are greedier than others but there is nothing you can do. If nobody buys it, it should be discounted at some point

7. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

And name it "i am rich"

8. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Because someone invested lots of work into it and wants to recoup the money?

9. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

No-one if forcing you to buy them. If you think they cost too much, consider an alternative source or simply just don't buy them.

10. snberk103 macrumors 603

roadbloc is right.

This is why they call it the "free market". Sellers are free to ask any price for their product, and you are free to accept or decline.

Incidentally, Apple doesn't set the price. The developer asks what they think it's worth, and Apple takes 30% of the price for providing and supporting the storefront, providing all of the distribution backend, supporting the distribution back, doing all the storefront bookkeeping, and advertizing the store.

If you had a killer app, you could make a whack of money without having to spend anything more than the initial developer fee. So the first app has some costs involved, but any apps you create after that you only have to spend the time to code it.

11. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Call of Duty is priced identically to the other platforms the same game is available for. How is that overpriced?

Dunno about that Green Eggs and Ham game, but if it's well-done, then people will buy it at that price. If not, they'll lower the price or it will fail to sell many copies.

Overpriced is only based on whether it sells. There's a lot of effort that goes into these types of programs usually, so they need to sell it at the right price to recoupe that investment. For some software, that price will be higher than others, and graphically-rich games are often among those that are higher priced (as are niche but essential apps like Photoshop, which is quite a bit more expensive than Call of Duty).

jW

12. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Honestly I think we're spoiled by the low prices on the iOS App Store. On the Mac App Store most of these "overpriced" apps are full-featured desktop applications/games. In a lot of cases these apps are available elsewhere for the same price or more and nobody complains that they're over-priced.

I'm no developer but I do know that desktop apps tend to be more complex and have more features than mobile apps. That takes more time and money, and thus they have to charge more to make money, especially if the apps have a limited market (Such as Coda, which sells for $100 on the App Store).

13. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

29$ for the PC version.

14. Megadooomer macrumors newbie

Megadooomer

I think the question is not iTunes vs App Store pricing but rather AppStore vs Amazon/eBay boxed pricing. Also, you can't compare these prices on games to gamestop or whatever since they're the Mac ports which have always been more expensive.

This reminds me of the debate/failure of the PSN store pricing structure; tech consumers look for bargains, nobody pays full retail for a digital product! Steam is successful because they offer better products (no losing CDs, serial codes, Win7 patches/compatibility) at much lower prices ($6.49 for l4d2, $3.49 BFBC2, etc).

15. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

If you mean CoD MW is the same price as the most current one, Black Ops, 3 releases later, then you'd be correct. The one in the Ap Store is a 3-4 year old game

16. snberk103 macrumors 603

Interestingly, the Green Eggs and Ham title on MAS is getting trashed in the reviews as being overpriced, and not working as expected. In one sense the OP is correct, the GE&H app is overpriced....but because the market seems to be telling the developer that - not because somebody was complaining on an unrelated board.