Overuse of "@"

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by lionheartednyhc, Sep 22, 2009.

1. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

Is anyone else getting annoyed at the overuse of the "@" symbol since twitter has become popular (don't even get me started on that). I keep seeing it everywhere; for instance in front of URLs and such.

AAAAAAAH
    :eek:

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

I actually have found it to be very convenient.

3. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

@lionheartednyhc: I'm not sure what you mean. :D

Actually, I kind of like it on comment threads where there isn't a true quote or reply option. It helps clarify which comment the response is for.

4. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

I think the OP may be referring to uses on social networks that don't even make sense. Before Facebook added the @ functionality to status updates, I would see people using it in this manner:

"I went out to lunch with @Johnny today and we had a great time at the diner."

Why would you do that?! :rolleyes:

5. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

6. MasterDev macrumors 65816

Do people really do that?! If my friends started to do that, I would get really annoyed...

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

@ MasterDev, Yes, they have.

@OP, I also find it annoying to the point I sometimes loose myself in the micro post.

@Iscariot, not an easy solution for OP.

@myself... STOP SAYING @ DAMIT:mad::mad:

8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

9. gibbz macrumors 68030

These people were likely making use of the feature that would allow Twitter to update your Facebook status. So whatever they typed in Twitter showed up in Facebook, which is why you see the @Johnny.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

@lionheartednyhc, I think people are just making it easier to reference who they're "speaking" to and this is a good way. I do it, but you won't find me doing it outside of web forums and such.

11. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

I think it's role in a social networking site is probably great. It can also be used in a forum environment in the form of a reply. In fact, if vBulletin was a bit of a more Web 2.0 (3.0?) system, I think that using "@" to reply to comments would be pretty handy.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It makes me think of Twitter, which annoys me :p. No thanks I'll stick to bolding names and the like.

13. johnhw macrumors 6502

Wasn't the @'s symbol purpose is to signify "at"? I don't see any problem on Twitter users... (I know it's overused though.)

14. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ill play, lol@you. its just a colloquial thing to do. you could be hip if you use it :p

15. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

It's possible you may need to get out more if things like that are starting to bother you. (you're among people who understand.)

I use it sometimes to let a person know I am referring to them; alternatively, sometimes I bold their username. I don't think I over-use it but even if you think so, that's just too damn bad. :p

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not on twitter and I don't follow people twitter so I've not really noticed an uptick in "@" usage.

[crawls back under rock]

17. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

im not on twitter either but i still see it used a lot. doesnt bother me at all.

18. Vogue Harper macrumors 6502

Vogue Harper

As a lawyer, I am normally incredibly intolerant of things which deviate from standard conventions or have come into common usage due to the Internet or trends.

However, I have absolutely no problems with the use of the @ symbol. I don't think it is overused at all, unless you believe things like e-mail addresses are overused. On twitter it is used in front of a person's tweet ID to address a tweet to a particular person. Nothing wrong with "Having dinner with @Elmo @Grover" (except perhaps the fact that the world probably doesn't want to know I'm having dinner with characters from Sesame Street).

I guess the reason why I don't have a problem with this is because it does not break the convention for the use of the @ symbol. It is perfectly correct to use it as an abbreviation for 'at'. Emboldening names etc to convey the same might work on forums like this, but it doesn't work on things like SMS or twitter for obvious reasons.

The above all said, I don't believe the @ symbol should ever be used in formal drafting/writing on the basis of the rule that one should not abbreviate in such circumstances (so no abbreviated apostrophes, ampersands and @ symbols).

19. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I agree. I don't find it particularly annoying (in fact not at all), but I only use it on Twitter for replies or to condense a tweet. Or for email addresses, obv.

In Teh MR, I prefer bolding a name if I want to direct my remarks.