Overwatch not coming to Mac OS X

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by cycledance, Oct 28, 2015.

1. cycledance Suspended

2. AngusYoung macrumors newbie

This really surprises me, bad move from Blizzard.

3. Washac, Oct 28, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2015

Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

Very strange when it it is in the Mac Battlenet launcher.

From what I found and read it's the BETA that will be Windows only, developers do this to get it working on their main platform of choice then they have a good product to port over, easier to work on one rather two two.

http://eu.battle.net/overwatch/en/blog/19919176/

Do not panic I think Mac users interested in this game will be OK.

4. AngusYoung macrumors newbie

There was a Hearthstone and a Heroes of the Storm Beta for Mac...

5. Cougarcat macrumors 604

They clearly state that it is being developed for Windows only. Maybe their future plans will allow for a Mac version, though.

Blizzard was literally the only AAA company left making Mac and PC versions simultaneously, so this makes me sad even though I have no interest in the game.

6. nolankvn macrumors member

nolankvn

Really bizarre. I'm guessing their Mac developer team is being stretched thin. Can't think of any other reason as to why they'd do this.

7. Yaboze macrumors 6502a

Yaboze

What do you expect when Apple puts 2GB mobile GPU's in their "5K Desktops"? I love Apple, but come on guys, your desktops need to have.....desktop power.

8. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

I for one really do not like those all in one skinny imac things, I will be hanging onto my 2009 Mac Pro for as long as possible, least I can configure internally to make it bigger and better. Where I go when it finally is not viable any longer I do not know, because using a Windows driven PC sends shivers down my spine :(

Apple really needs to get a grip on the desktop side of things as you say.

9. Yaboze macrumors 6502a

Yaboze

I agree and I did leave out the Mac Pro because it's just not accessible for the average joe. It's a beautiful machine (the new one), but it lacks the ability of the older ones to just throw in off-the-shelf parts like a newer Geforce GTX or Radeon card, etc.

Things aren't going to change unless Apple takes desktop GPU's more seriously. Metal is a step in the right direction, now they just need the hardware.

10. jeanlain macrumors 65816

The beta will be Windows only. Doesn't mean anything for the final game. Most of the gameplay bugs won't depend on the platform so it makes sense not to spend time and effort on a Mac public beta.

11. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Here they state that "at this time they are only developing for Windows" and "We're developing Overwatch for Windows-based PCs only." Can't get any clearer than that. In the past, there have been Mac public betas of Blizzard games.

I like nolankvn's theory. They are working on more things than ever before. Hopefully it's just a matter of resources and they'll get to it at some point.

12. Yaboze macrumors 6502a

Yaboze

It could come to OSX, it doesn't look that graphically intensive and Blizzard has skilled Mac programmers. I believe it's a F2P game, so maybe they'll see how it does on Windows first. Bringing it to the Mac shouldn't be that difficult once it's out of beta.

13. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

Not developing for the Mac does NOT mean there will not be a version does it ?

Develope on the PC and once out of beta port to the Mac, easy.

So the answer given in that link is correct, but does not mean there will not be a version.

14. MacAlien macrumors 6502

MacAlien

It's not coming to Mac in the foreseeable future, even when it goes Live. Their Mac team is too tiny at this point in time to be able to take on another project at this point. They should've communicated this tiny tidbit to the community before the Closed Beta. Doubly fun when one gets an email for the beta, then find...no client. lol. The worrisome part should be whether this will become more and more common with them for anything else.

PS: Just install Bootcamp...as said by one of their devs.

15. cycledance thread starter Suspended

i am tired of ppl saying to install bootcamp.
    you have to buy windows. what is it? 100 bucks? then you have to boot into yucky windows and leave mac os every single time.

why is the overwatch button and advertising in the mac battle.net client? they should never have put it there and should remove it now at least.
    blizzard is one of the greediest companies. as is apple btw.

16. Miharu macrumors 6502

Miharu

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/19580947919#9

Read this good post by Tiapriestess. Mac gaming is basically dead, Apple has long since abandoned it. With Metal, all they're basically doing is making it easier to port casual little iOS games to Mac App Store. I have been an avid Blizzard gamer for 10 years now, when I bought my first Mac. Macs have changed so much and game performance has either gone down or not improved at all, and with even faster OS X release cycles where everything breaks, it's not feasible anymore to develop. I am sad for Aspyr and Feral who are still doing Mac ports, it must be really tough. I wonder how long you guys can hold out. I would put the blame on Apple's changes rather than Blizzard for this one.

17. cycledance thread starter Suspended

both to blame. blizzard should talk with apple and tell them what they want. and hire mac devs.
    apple is a soulless dead company since years and blizzard joined them. it's purely business and no vision.

i can see myself buying a cheap windows laptop or ipad and be done with computers altogether in the not to distant future.

18. jeanlain macrumors 65816

I don't think Blizzard's decision reflects the state of Mac gaming overall.

The only Macs that were good gaming machines were specially configured Mac Pros or PowerMacs, which constituted only a tiny portion of the install base. Gaming on the Mac is not worse now than it was before (the first intel GPUs used in intel Macs were utterly pathetic). The Mac market share is rising steadily. I think that porting houses like Feral do better than ever, so Mac gaming is stronger. Metal, even if incomplete, is a good sign. Retina displays mean nothing to gaming. Just play at non-retina resolution.

Regarding OS X updates... There was the deprecation of legacy openGL (which had to go sooner or later), but other than that, I'm not sure why the yearly update cycle should be a problem for games. It's generally a problem for GUI apps that use deprecated system frameworks like Carbon and certain Appkit classes, or those that did not follow the guidelines (using folders that are now protected by SIP, against Apple's recommendations).

19. Lexdexia macrumors regular

Lexdexia

I got bootcamp so I'm covered, I guess...

After all this anticipation, I feel kinda disappointed Blizzard won't be making Overwatch for OS X.

I straight up don't like using Windows and avoid booting into Windows as much as possible. Overwatch better be worth my time.

20. DaveNinja macrumors 6502

DaveNinja

I installed the Overwatch beta on my windows bootcamp partition. I didnt even check to see if an Os X version was available since most games i play seem to run better in windows lately anyways.

21. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

It's interesting reading on some of the Wow sites. Many people are stating that Blizzard will announce at Blizzcon that they are partnering with Microsoft (Microsoft and Blizzard are teaming up for Blizzcon) to release Overwatch to the PC and Xbox.

If that is the case, it doesn't sound like a shortage of resources to work on Overwatch OS X but, is instead Microsoft exclusivity.

It almost sounds like a repeat of Bungie gaming on the Mac.

22. DaveNinja macrumors 6502

DaveNinja

Overwatch would/will make a great console game. default settings have gamepad keys already set up. I think they were xbox controller buttons (color/letter)

23. cycledance thread starter Suspended

console overwatch already leaked before.

http://www.overpwn.com/news/77-overwatch-for-consoles-officially-confirmed

Overwatch is Blizzard’s team-shooter for PC and consoles. Choose your hero from a huge roster of soldiers, scientists, adventurers, and oddities, each with their own unique set of abilities. Bend time, defy physics, and unleash a dizzying array of extraordinary powers in concert with your allies. Lead your team to victory in iconic locations across a near-future Earth. The world needs heroes!

and pretty much confirms that it's never coming to mac.

24. Noble Actual macrumors 6502a

Overwatch is using a new engine.

People say Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm had betas and were released on Mac but that's because Hearthstone uses Unity and Heroes uses the Starcraft II engine.

Also Blizzard got a huge sponsorship from Microsoft (using Windows 10 in all their Blizzcon championships).

I can see this being on Windows 10 PC and Xbox One but not Mac.

25. cycledance thread starter Suspended

so what?

you know where i can see this? in my mac battle.net app since a really long time. non functional forever.
    how stupid will it look when they release overwatch characters in heroes of the storm on mac?

blizzard is abandoning the mac. after 21 years.