Overwhelmed by choices in monitors

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by StegKate, Jan 17, 2009.

1. StegKate macrumors newbie

Hello. I have a year-old MBP. I do a lot of freelance shooting and editing and while I cant afford a new tower yet, I can afford and do need a large monitor. Like a lot of people, I am pretty bummed about the new 24" LED ACD not working with my MBP.
    At first I thought I would just wait for an adapter, now I'm thinking of just committing to a monitor now.
    Today I was looking at the 30" ACD. This is more than I wanted to to pay, but I'm willing to do it if it's a good investment. But I cant get the feeling out of my stomach that the whole monitor thing is about to be turned ass-over-teakettle. Like, everything will go Displayport and LED very soon and whatever i get will be obsolete.

So, here is my wish list: I would really like to stick with mac, but I could be convinced otherwise. I need to go from 24"-30" I can't pay more than 2,000.00 and would really rather not pay more than 1,500.00
    I really love the idea of LED monitors. I'm willing to wait longer for something to come out, but dont want to wait longer than another month.
    Plus, and i know everyone is sick of this question... but I'd really like to be told that an adapter for the new LED is on the way.

Thanks!

2. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

Why don;t you look at some high end dells or samsungs, they usually make pretty good displays, I am no pro tho, there may be some other brands out there that make some great ones

3. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I have a good 24" Samsung model 2443BWX. It's not a S-IPS panel, but it's one of the best TN panels according to reviews. It's a hard-coat so no glossy, and costs around $400.

5. StegKate thread starter macrumors newbie

And what about the 30" ACD? What does everyone think about it as an investment?

6. Mjmar macrumors 65816

Why not look into a refurbished 23" apple cinema display?

7. StegKate thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, they don't have those on apple.com -- the refurb 23", I mean.

Macmall?

Can someone please pots the link to the LED adapter thread? I'd like to follow the latest news.

8. Mjmar macrumors 65816

They have refurb 23" cinema displays at this link on the apple site...
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/F9178LL/A?mco=MjE0NzU0OA

9. Mr Rogerss macrumors member

With what apple has now, wouldn't bother looking.

Check out dell, you could dual monitor two 24 inch monitors from them for $1400. Dell makes some of the best monitors, and they have all your price ranges.

10. StegKate thread starter macrumors newbie

Crud. They sure arent making it easy to stay a mac loyalist. Can anyone weigh in on the 30" ACD?

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It was a wonderful display in its time... its time has passed.

It's still a good panel (H-IPS), but it's an old H-IPS panel and the hardware itself sucks now.

There will be an updated LED 30" released when the Gainestown Mac Pro is released. Wait for that if you can; it will use only Mini DisplayPort.

12. StegKate thread starter macrumors newbie

Crud, then I'll still have the issue that my MBP is a year old and doesnt have display port out.

ARGGHH!!

13. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

I think I might wait for the current 24" ACD to hit the refurb store. IMO, there's a huge gap between the bottom and the top when it comes to monitors...

14. StegKate thread starter macrumors newbie

But then again, wont there still be the adapter issue? I'm looking for the best monitor that will work with my MiniDVI out.

15. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

If you have a MacBook Pro, you have regular DVI out. any DVI monitor will work in this case.

16. StegKate thread starter macrumors newbie

Just not the new LED ACD is what I'm saying; contrary to the advice of waiting for a refurbed 24" LED

17. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I have a client that does photography, graphics, and etc and has 15 of the 30" ACDs. I have asked some of the employees about switching to a less expensive model since basically same specs for years now on that display. Everyone I ever talk to says the 30" ACD is the perfect size for intensive work and large files. Most say they also have them at home and would never go with anything else. They all say color and quality is unlike anything else on market. Now, I am not a designer/photographer/etc... but I can say that I have looked into pricing on similar displays as IPS panels and the ACD is really fairly priced. I have another client company that has over 30 engineers. Every computer there has a 30" ACD. Same experience there also. Everyone says once you get used to having a 30" display, you will never go back. The size really allows you to work more efficiently.

Best wishes with your decision.

18. StegKate thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much for taking the time with that. It helps.

19. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

Presently, the 24" ACD only works with the new MB/MBP, but I'm sure Apple will release a backward compatible cable soon enough. If not, well, they just alienated a ton of potential customers.

Either way, I think their monitors are in limbo right now - half way between a transition with lots of unanswered questions. I think we're going to have to wait a bit to see where Apple is going with this mini-display port. But then again, I know s*it all about monitors :p

20. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You could get the Dell 3007WFP; comes with a ton of different ports and the monitor is cheaper than the ACD (while using the same if not better components).

21. StegKate thread starter macrumors newbie

I should have mentioned that I am very superficial when it comes to interior design, and that I consider money spent on matching my aluminum MBP with my stacks of Gdrives and monitors worth some extra bucks.
    Some may balk at this,

22. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well sorry I can't help with that. The 30" Dell UltraSharp looks very nice.

23. StegKate thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks; it's an embarrassing thing to admit, i know. But then, if I was the only one interested in the look of my peripherals then mac wouldnt make so much money with their sexy designs.

24. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

Apple's 30in ACD is brilliant. Brilliant enough to pay the premium over a comparable black plastic brand? And is it brilliant enough to later need an adapter to use with your next Mac? For me, I'm avoiding answering those questions and not committing to a monitor for a while. I was about to buy a new one (ACD 23 refurb) but my MBP was just swapped for the new one so I'm waiting for more MDP monitors to roll out at the moment.

25. StegKate thread starter macrumors newbie

Interesting. And how long do you expect to wait? I should have written, how long are you willing to wait?