OWC Mercury Extreme Enterprise SSD announced today... are better specs available?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spaceballl, Jan 26, 2010.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

A new Sandforce-based SSD was just announced today. Here's the release page where you can buy it.

I'm looking for better power consumption / heat specs. I'm probably going to buy the 200GB version, and I want to make sure that it will have lower power consumption than my current SSD. Can anyone find power usage numbers for this thing? Thanks!

2. Bosman macrumors member

Bosman

Holy crap that is a nice SSD from OWC! I just looked there two days ago and they only had intel and crucial. The spec on that drive is faster than a runcore! for a reasonable price comparatively i would say.

3. m85476585 macrumors 65816

Does OWC actually manufacture hardware like SSDs and RAM, or do they just rebrand stuff?

4. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

Rebrand.

5. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

wonder who is the maker ?
    would probably stick with a g2 intel drive though

6. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I don't care if this is a rebrand. Nor do I care if someone recommends the Intel (which is significantly slower btw)... What i DO care about is if someone has more specific specs! :D

7. m85476585 macrumors 65816

What it is rebranded from could lead us to more specific specs.

8. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I don't think it's a rebrand. I think it's built off the sandforce reference design. Check the link in the first post for the OCZ SSD based on this controller.

9. Bosman macrumors member

Bosman

I have 3 OWC drives and they all use Quality equip. Sorry that i don't remember the drive brand but i think it was Hitachi.

I will buy all my mac stuff there and only today i can say that because i was thinking ssd from Runcore. Now i am def going for the OWC SSD. I think their customer service is top notch. Their OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro aluminum enclosure external drives are well made too!

10. hoya87eagle91 macrumors member

Lloyd Chambers' blog gave the OWC Mercury Elite SSD a very positive review. Can anyone concur?

http://macperformanceguide.com/Reviews-SSD-OWC-Mercury_Extreme.html#Striped

"Compared to a 4-hard-drive stripe of the Hitachi 2TB 7K2000 on the fastest side of the drives, the 2-drive RAID 0 stripe performance of the Mercury Elite SSDs almost matches the write speed within ~20MB/sec, and exceeds the read speed by about 20MB/sec.

These SSDs are so fast that the Mac Pro’s SATA ports throttle the top speed to about 600 MB/sec, but when used externally higher speeds can be achieved."

11. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

I really wish reviews would focus on small random read/write speeds as much as large sequential speeds. The former matters more in day to day use for the average person not repeated opening and closing files > 1 GB.

12. galahan macrumors member

Isn't that what's on p.10 of Anand's review? 4kb random reads/writes

13. gfiz macrumors 6502

gfiz

terrible prices. 100GB for $399? No thanks, I'd take 160GB from Intel for $460.

14. MikeSantor macrumors regular

I have never seen a bad review on any of OWCs stuff but it seems like a lot of there stuff is overpriced... Nice looking SSD nonetheless.

15. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

Yes. Anand's reviews are always good. It's the macperformanceguide.com review that was a little lacking.

Someone asked this before, and I think most of us assume it, but is the OWC product identical to the OCZ SSD? I've never heard of OWC making their own drives, so I really don't know who produced this.

16. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

or a 80GB G2 for around $200, or a pair of 60GB OCZs for around 260. These prices for the OWC SSDs are a joke.

17. MikeSantor macrumors regular

Link?

18. gfiz macrumors 6502

gfiz

more like $250 before you use any of the numerous Bing cash backs and what not (I have seen get as low as $210 with various coupon codes)...but still. No way I'd pay $150+ more for 20 more GB for in some cases small performance improvments (and in some cases less)

19. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Any idea when the new Intel SSDs are coming out? The rumor has been going around long enough. It will be very interesting to see the price points on the new drives. Hopefully the prices can start coming down, though the demand seems pretty strong. Time to really start increasing the production volumes and let the economies of scale take over? I think once the prices will start coming down, the volumes could increase quite significantly.

20. MikeSantor macrumors regular

More like 280 after coupons and shipping... NewEgg had the first batch of the Intels cheap after the first bit of stock ran out it was back up to 300 for the 80GBs.

21. gfiz macrumors 6502

gfiz

ummm...no, more like $250 before rebates and coupons. Newegg has been overcharging for Intel SSD's since the get go due to a horrible automatic inventory and pricing management system.

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Mainstr...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1266008597&sr=8-2

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5256782&CatId=4212

http://www.ecost.com/detail.aspx?ed...google-_-ewbbase-_-Storage&CAWELAID=372595882

edit: for some reason the link to Circuit City doesn't work...but you can find them there for 249.99 too.

22. fibrizo macrumors 6502

fibrizo

If you want to do a little work/lurking you can get them for cheaps

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167016R

I got mine from there... the box was open, but the drive was still sealed in the plastic packaging from intel. So basically a new box that the tape got cut on and had to be resealed. I paid 167$+5.99 shipping.

Just gotta check back often and they have them from time to time.

Here's one for 229 with free shipping from newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211412

It's a rebranded intel drive G2 80gb

23. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

The ones based on the 25 nm process are expected Q4 2010.

24. gfiz macrumors 6502

gfiz

careful on that, they're not identical. They don't support the same firmware, don't carry the same warranty, and at.least for the 160GB version, they don't have the same specs listed (250/100 versus 250/70). Still a good drive I'm sure, but there's a reason they're cheaper.

25. fibrizo macrumors 6502

fibrizo

The 80gb one has been flashed by many people to the newest intel firmware. Also if you flip the drive over, it says SSDSA2M80G2GN.... on the standard intel sticker. It even uses the standard 02HA firmware (which is straight up intel firmware). The consensus is that this is an intel drive with A-data stickers on it.

Heck the 160gb drive is listed as the same specs according to newegg, which is another intel. If you are looking at another one of their drives ( they have a whole lineup of other SSDs also with different specs that are not intel drives.) I don't think the website that A-data has in english is 100% right, but the 160gb is actually a bit faster than the 80gb.

On the otherhand, you are right, these are covered by A-data instead of intel, and may only have a 2 year warranty (though some people who called the company say it is 3 years) compared to the intel 3 years. but then again it's 229$ w/ free shipping and no tax for most lol