Owc ram 4gb

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by bama175, Aug 1, 2011.

1. bama175 macrumors newbie

This might be a dumb question, but wanted to confirm.

I just purchased the new Mac Mini base model with the i5. I didn't opt for the larger ram at purchase because of the cost for OWC Ram. Anyway, I was wondering if I could purchase 1 4GB stick of OWC Ram and use it with one of the 1GB sticks that comes with the machine, thus giving me 5GB total?

Thanks in adavance!

2. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

you could but I like to match the chips. your ram is most likely hynix I would want to put a hynix 4gb stick in, but owc's should work ( owc uses different chips micron hynix etc)

3. JimDut macrumors member

Mixing two of the same Gb is one thing, but mixing a 1Gb with a 4Gb means it won't run dual channel because of the 1Gb stick... I'd go for buying x2 2Gb Sticks.

4. bama175 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys.

I ordered the 4gb stick of OWC today. Going to buy the 2nd in a few weeks. Just didn't know if I should wait until I get the 2nd or go ahead and put the 4GB stick in with one of the 1GB sticks.

I assume I could run the one 4GB stick by itself,?correct

5. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

yes it should run with 1 4gb ,

but a 4gb and a 1gb will do more.

A lot depends on what you run. I have found with all models That I tested 2006 to 2010 mac minis more is better . This was also true of the 2009 iMac I have. I used every possible combo of ram in its 4 slots more was best a 4 a 4 and a 1 were better then fours 2's in every test I did.

I have not fully tested the 2011 minis and they are a new cpu,it is supposed to hyperthread.

so a pair of 2's that total 4 may be better then a 1 and a 4 if you lose hyperthreading by having a 1 and a 4

this was not the case with 2010 mac minis or 2009 mac minis.

6. haruspex macrumors newbie

i love OWC and whatever but i paid $5 more for 8GB RAM from Newegg than you did for 4GB from OWC (assuming you got OWC brand RAM).

7. bama175 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate it.

haruspex, how is your mini running with that ram? Can you send to me a link to the exact one you purchased?