owc sale on 240gb ssd!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by philipma1957, Jan 31, 2011.

1. JustSomeDude macrumors regular

Are there any advantages to the owc drive over other ssd's with the sandforce controller chips? There are several ssd's with sandofrce controller on newegg cheaper than this.

2. armanjt, Jan 31, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  3. JustSomeDude, Jan 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2011

JustSomeDude macrumors regular

From what I can tell, in terms of performance, the owc looks roughly equivalent to the vertex 2 in performamce. Are there some performance advantages I'm missing? I've only looked at a couple of reviews, so maybe I missed something. Is there a reliability or some sort of mac compatibility advantage?

Regardless of if there are definitive advantages, thanks philipma1957. Very cool of you to share deals with others.

4. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Yeah, from what I can tell, they look identical. I actually wouldn't be shocked if they were the exact same drives with different casework.

5. FluJunkie macrumors 6502a

Well, there's the whole "support a company that does tons of Mac-based support and product development" angle.

The Mac Performance Guide also really likes them - he's got some stats showing they suffer less of a performance hit over time.

6. quidire macrumors 6502

quidire

Is there any reason to believe that the MPG is somehow related to OWC? They sell a prepackaged Mac Pro (the MPG Pro Workstation) through OWC.

-RS

7. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Still way too expensive. Hopefully by this time next year, prices will be halved..

8. philipma1957 thread starter macrumors 603

philipma1957

9. FluJunkie macrumors 6502a

I believe he makes deals with retailers he likes - he gets a cut, his customers get easy-mode, pre-configured, admittedly badass workstations.

Regardless, other folks who don't - Maximum PC, etc. also really like OWC.