OWC vs G. Skill

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Mpulsive81, Apr 11, 2007.

?

Which would you prefer?

1. OWC

13 vote(s)
    52.0%
  2. G. Skill (from newegg, of course)

12 vote(s)
    48.0%
  1. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

Lately I've been looking to upgrade the RAM in my macbook and have been debating between these two brands. Both come from companies with great track records, but G. Skill's about $50 cheaper these days. What are your experiences with either?

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I've been very happy with OWC (friends/family have had good experience with them too). They also offer trade-ins for Apple modules. I don't have any experience with g-skill.

3. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

I never had any problem with the G.Skill ram I bought. Worked great, and considering that, I'll never pay $50 more again just to have a better-known brand. Granted, I don't condone buying just ANY RAM, but enough people around these forums have had success with G.Skill that I honestly laugh at those who still pay more "just because". If a product works and works well, then why pay more for something that'll do the same job?

4. Makosuke macrumors 603

You'll probably do fine with G.Skill for a newer computer, and they've got a lifetime warranty, but personally I always go with DMS--been using their stuff in computers at work for years without any problems, and the one time I got bum sticks from them (DOA, not failures after time), they replaced them no questions asked.

And while yes, even total junk RAM probably will work fine, the two times I've had a problem caused by bad RAM it was a MASSIVE pain to isolate, so if there's a better chance of getting a good, reliable stick from somebody I'm sure as heck going to go with them--the hassle and time isn't worth it.

5. Mpulsive81 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm getting responses for G. Skill but people are voting OWC. Those that are voting, can you explain what sways you one way or the other?

I'm thinking G. Skill for the price and the experiences w/ NewEgg, but I know nothing of OWC other than they're very Mac friendly, judging from their website. :)

6. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

My package from newegg just arrived, I'll let you know if everything is ok with my G.Skill RAM. I'm cheap so I always try to get the best value for my money. OWC is not going to make my computer any faster than G.Skill so why pay the extra price.

7. Mr. Gumby macrumors newbie

I upgraded my intel mini with 2GB of G. Skill from Newegg about a year ago. No problems whatsoever. I'm sure the OWC RAM would work just as well too, but if it's $50 more expensive than the G. Skill, I know which one I'd get (again).

I've never had problems with Newegg or OWC for any of my mac purchases either, so I can't really recommend one vendor over another in this particular situation.

8. edub23o3 macrumors newbie

I'm in college, so $50 is a significant price difference for me. I guess it just matters how much you are willing to pay. I went with 2 GB of G.Skill because it was cheaper and most people seemed to have success with G.Skill. Never dealt with OWC, and have never hand any problems with newegg.

9. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

Installed the G.Skill this morning and everything is perfect. Do yourself a favor and save a few bucks. :D

10. phidauex macrumors member

G.Skill works great. Ram doesn't really need to be 'certified' for Macs, it just needs to work. The days of extremely picky RAM specs are largely over, so there is no need to pay a premium for that anymore.

I installed 2GB in my Macbook this afternoon, and it works great, passed a full round of memtest tests too. 115$ was hard to beat.

I'll pay a little extra for a good company and some extra support, but not THAT much extra.

-Sam

11. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

If you want 2GB today, swing over to your local Best Buy, and you can get 2 1GB PNY SO-DIMMs for Macbooks and Macbook Pros for 75 for each 1GB SO-DIMM. Its Micron RAM, and they're rather well built, unlike their older generic crap RAM.

Hold onto that receipt though. For that "lifetime" warranty, they need the receipt to see when you purchased it. o_O'

Sale ends today though. If they're out, get a raincheck. :D

Other than that, G.Skill rocks. Awesome RAM, pretty decent quality, cheap price, and it overclocks pretty nicely.

I'm thinking about adding another 2GB to my computer.

12. Mpulsive81 thread starter macrumors 6502

$25 dollars difference now between the two. $109 for G Skill vs $134 for OWC