Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Molson1020

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
So I own a MBP that I do most of my graphic design work on, and I also own an iPhone 4, but lately I am considering getting an iPad... but I ask... is it too much?

Here are some of reasons I was planning on buying one...

• My MBP is a 17" so it might be nicer to have a more portable media device.
• I would probably use it a lot as an ereader
• I would use it as my portfolio to show to prospective employers via portfolio app (allows me to show video, high res print pieces, and it shows I'm up to date with technology)

But I'm afraid that I may get the buyers remorse after owning one, and realizing that I dont have that much need for it after having my MBP & iPhone.

So if anyone here owns both a MBP & iPad, how does it work out for you and do you feel you get your money's worth out of owning both?

Thanks!

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I think the iPad is a nice tool to discuss design results with customer. Much more handy ompard to MBP 17". That's quite a bulky device. An iPad you can easier hand over and let the customer"touch" your work.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
i have an mbp and ipad. the mbp does the heavy lifting (adobe acrobat pro, searching through my files, creating final drafts of documents, etc.). it gets used a few hours each day.

most of my work, though, is done on the ipad. ipad + keyboard + incase origami workstation = content consumption (ereader, movies, web surfing) and content creation (notes, drafts, and revisions) with about the same weight as the air, about the same size, but half the price, twice the battery life, and the ability to function as an ereader. a man purse is all i need to carry all of my gear (including my entire personal library: tens of thousands of pdf files in it and on the cloud).

for the uses you describe, the ipad seems a little superfluous. however, if you go digital (digitize books, notes, handouts, etc.) then the ipad will earn its keep at the very least as an ereader. here is how i use it:

1. Getting Things Done with the iPad
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1197650/
2. Going from Paper to iPad
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1198956/
3. Getting Things Done: iPad for Academics
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1189442/

Itxdjx

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2010
R.I.
Hey there I'm in the same situation as you. iPad, ip4 and MBP 13". And maybe at first I had buyers remorse like you said maybe be a tad overkill. But after a while with them all I enjoy having them all and love having them all.

They are times one one is better and vice versa. Obviously the pro is the place to go for heavy duty anything, writing, 'multitasking', editing the iPad and iPhone just are not as powerfull, so I def would feel it if I didn't have it and had to reply only on the phone and pad. and you having the 17 incher I think and iPad would shed some wait now and then. I find the 13 heavy at times.

The iPhone is obvious great for when your out and about in the streets where the iPad or the MBP is not the best for the situation. Small quick to use and a bit more inconspicuous then MBP or pad. and the iPad is easily interchangeable here if that's what youd want.

Now for the iPad. I find that the iPad is really, for me, a gaming, media consumtion basically for pleasure/personal. I wouldn't use the MBP for what I could do on the pad like web surfing, unless of course I need some flash support then it's either the Galaxytab 10.1 or the MPB :x. And you can't beat the keyboard on a laptop.

But after getting used to all three and finding what I use each for. I found that as long as you can find good uses for all and balance then it's Great. I really enjoy going to and fro.

If I had to pick one to live with I prob would pick the MPB. iI just does everything great and fast especially with lion (still early but it's great) and the MacApp store can make it just as good of gaming as the iPad. I find the thing I use less is the iPhone but it makes calls lol.

Video chat can be done on all three witch I like. (FaceTime, Skype) and all are good for music. (Spotify free is just amazing no the MBP)

I think you would enjoy and iPad for what it is and iPad, not that you would need it, but if you can find a void for it to fill, it will. So if you can afford it try it out you can always return.

I would go with a iPad one that you could get for cheap (300? If you don't want to splurge of the two) and if you'd like it, sell it, go for the two or wait for that mysterious iPad 3, that apparently is coming out soon.

No buyers remorse here.

AppleTech22

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
US
I have a MacBook pro and will be upgrading to the air soon, with an iPad and iPhone. I use the iPad mostly for checking things like twitter, YouTube, news, and then it makes a beautiful clock with weather hd when I'm sitting at my desk using my pro(air) or gaming. The iPad has become something that I might take around the house and to friends houses, but my pro usually stays home unless I'm taking a big trip somewhere. For me already bought the iPad and it has been more a decision to heat the air.

jsh1120

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2011
I'll make a prediction that you'll find the functionality of the iPhone is more superfluous than that of your MBP. The iPad is my only Apple device but I find my "serious" laptop/workstation (as well as my very serious quadcore desktop) get as much use as ever.

What doesn't see nearly as much use except for phone calls is my very capable smartphone and the neat little HP netbook I used to carry on a plane.

kevingaffney

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2008
I have All three and its my iphone that suffered. Only use apps on it in an emergency. No comparison between apps on an iphone and ipad. As with the others my mbp does the heavy duty stuff

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
So I own a MBP that I do most of my graphic design work on, and I also own an iPhone 4, but lately I am considering getting an iPad... but I ask... is it too much?

• I would use it as my portfolio to show to prospective employers via portfolio app (allows me to show video, high res print pieces, and it shows I'm up to date with technology)

But I'm afraid that I may get the buyers remorse after owning one, and realizing that I dont have that much need for it after having my MBP & iPhone.

So if anyone here owns both a MBP & iPad, how does it work out for you and do you feel you get your money's worth out of owning both?

Thanks!

I have an iPad, an iPhone and the MBP 15". I use them all, and love them all. My MBP is my primary computer - I haven't had a desktop in years. But, when I travel I take the iPad with me.

I also use the iPad at home, of course. Use it attached to my exercise bike, I use it in bed, and so on.

I don't think you'll regret the purchase, but if you do - then you return the product.

Papanate

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
North Carolina
I have an iPad, iPhone and a MBP. I no longer use the iPhone for anything other than Calls and Text.

I travel quite a bit for work - so the iPad has supplemented the MBP on planes, trains and automobiles - I have the 3G/WiFi version - and has also been my go to at Hotels and Conventions. I mostly do email, web cruise and
some client presentations.

The main reason I use the iPad more than the MBP is that the footprint is smaller (better for Air/Ground Travel) and Hotels/Airports etc...are charging $8 - $15 for WiFi. AT&T's 3G plan allows me to turn on Cell Data for 30 days - then off without a penalty. So If I'm traveling for 5 days I save about $150 on average.

The MBP gets the bulk/heavy duty work...designs, photos, audio and video editing etc.. I can't do that kind of work easily on the iPad.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
I have an iPad, iPhone and a MBP. I no longer use the iPhone for anything other than Calls and Text.

This.

Same here, i could't believe how much the use of my iPhone has go down since i got the iPad.

In OP related question, i think its not too much. The iPad is a very nice addition to the MBP. As stated before, MBP for the heavy lifting and iPad for regular use.

Great combo.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
This.

Same here, i could't believe how much the use of my iPhone has go down since i got the iPad.

In OP related question, i think its not too much. The iPad is a very nice addition to the MBP. As stated before, MBP for the heavy lifting and iPad for regular use.

Great combo.

Strangely, I still use my iPhone as much as ever. It's definitely my pocket device - I take it with me absolutely everywhere (I am NEVER without it) whereas although I use the iPad extensively, I don't carry it everywhere.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
I have All three and its my iphone that suffered. Only use apps on it in an emergency. No comparison between apps on an iphone and ipad. As with the others my mbp does the heavy duty stuff

Same here. I contemplated not even bothering getting an iPhone because I use the iPad so much. The iMac and MBP get a lot less use than they used to as well.

MagnusF

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
I have all three. The iPhone apps i use wayyy less. The Macbook pro i only use when i really need a keyboard or something the iPad cant do, and the iPad i use all the time

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland
I use my MacBook Pro when I'm in the house. I use my iPad when I'm out and about in a coffee shop, or as a sheet music reader on gigs. I use my iPhone as quick access to things like Twitter, looking up stuff, and short emails/texts.

All three have separate uses, so having all three isn't a bad thing.

bunit

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2007
Westerly RI
I was also in a similar situation, as I had a Macbook Pro and iPhone 4. I debated and debated and finally got an iPad and don't regret it at all. I have to say it has me reading more, and if your longing around, it's so much easier to grab the iPad rather than the Macbook Pro. I think you'll find that you will use it more as a personal device rather than work related. Great addition to the Apple lineup!

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I have both as well and I use them both differently.

I use my MBP for 95% of work stuff, for when I want to do a lot of different things at once, by having lots of windows open, when I want to do some heavier photo editing, for organizing all my media, etc.

The iPad is my more relaxed device. I use it for reading, for some light web browsing or tweeting in bed before going to sleep or before getting up in the morning, catching up with news, watching a movie in bed when I don't want my heavier MBP on my lap... Also I use it for some work tasks sometimes, if I happen to be sitting somewhere with some time to kill. My iPad goes pretty much everywhere with me (I'm a girl so I just carry it in my purse), the MBP doesn't. Some things the MBP does better but I don't really want to carry it everywhere.

In your specific case I think the iPad would be really good as a portfolio for your work. There's something to be said about actually touching and manipulating content that it's so much more enjoyable on a tablet device than on a laptop screen.

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
I'll chime in, too. I got an iPad mostly because of the geek factor, but I had an iPhone 4 and a MacBook Pro 15" - the iPad gets a lot of use for the basics (browsing, email, IMs, Twitter) and some content creation (mostly writing, but also presentations). Its battery is much better than my my MacBook Pro and it's lighter and more convenient. Often, it sits on my coffee table to be the ultimate "couch-computer". It also doubles as another TV if I'm watching something on Netflix or video podcasts and want to take it to my office.

The MacBook Pro is still my go-to device for hoarding media (not illegally, just that I use Amazon, iTunes, and others to get my music and the iPad's version of iTunes is a little lacking in comparison), web development, graphics work, and heavy-duty browsing.

My iPhone is the best for when I'm away from both. Unlike one of my friends, who carries her iPad in her purse, I will not resort to a satchel or man-purse, so my iPad gets left behind more often. I also use it for Pandora, Tune In Radio, MLB At Bat audio, GPS, and serving up my own music while driving.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
My MBP is on the way, but I already have an iPad 2. But even with my current laptop, both devices have found a place in my life. I use the iPad when I want to casually browse and I want something more portable. But even from the possible reasons you listed, I think an iPad will fit in nicely for you.

sehnsucht77

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2008

Thanks!

buyers remorse? give yourself time to consider all the possible needs for the item and what you would do with it that you can't accomplish using an existing machine. i own a mbp and will be buying an ipad 2 for commuter reading and reading other things that i do not want to use on a laptop if it is shut off and i am in bed. the mbp is my work computer and can do everything the ipad can, however, the mbp is NOT portable which is where i plan to use the ipad mainly. i dont care about the fanboy factor; i care about whether i can USE an item i buy from apple and how well the item will help me accomplish that task -i don't care about the geekery, just the efficiency of how well the tool will get the job done.

JohnBossu

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2011
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I have all of them and each has its own function. MBP is for study related work and some photoshop works for hobby, iPad2 is more for fun, watch movies when I'm too lazy to leave my bed, browsing at the train, and the iPhone is for almost anything whenever I don't have the other two with me (I always leave my iPad at home except when I go to the Uni)

They are perfect as complement to each other.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.