Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Owners of iPhone XS and XS Max, can you please post your battery graphs?

I want to compare how far behind my X is.

And both graphs please.

Also, how much does your battery drain overnight on standby? Standby battery drain with iOS 12 is the issue on all devices I have at home. X. Pro 10.5. 7. SE.

iPhone X / Other iPhone owners feel free to chime in with your graphs.

Here are mine:

57FF2AB2-753B-4B79-96F6-C100A1DBB11A.png

A9F16351-B643-4591-A62D-C8CC3E81EA33.png

jgiannakas

macrumors member
May 26, 2014
I can’t see any problem here. Between 3-6 it was 100% even though it wasn’t plugged in. During the day you’ve been using it non stop (12-2) so the battery drained.

Libertas

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2018
I lose around 2 percentage points per hour when phone sitting screen off zero use.

Today battery dropped to 53% with about an hour of screen time total. The weather app was using location services even though I didnt use the app or have it open.

I get about 23% battery use to watch youtube for one hour. Oh, and there is now NO way to know how long your battery lasts as in standby vs use, time since last charge.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
I lose around 2 percentage points per hour when phone sitting screen off zero use.

Today battery dropped to 53% with about an hour of screen time total. The weather app was using location services even though I didnt use the app or have it open.

I get about 23% battery use to watch youtube for one hour. Oh, and there is now NO way to know how long your battery lasts as in standby vs use, time since last charge.

Which phone do you have?

keeper

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2008
Can’t really see any point in this as each phone will be different in terms of usage , app setup background refresh , screen brightness etc etc etc.

jgiannakas

macrumors member
May 26, 2014

That’s not what the graph says though. You ended up at 50% with a bit over 2.5-3 hours of constant use. It really depends on your screen brightness and what you were doing in those 2 hours to judge whether that’s good or not.

Also while the phone was on standby you lost no battery (maybe 1-2% for the 4 hours it was not used).

Libertas

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2018
That’s not what the graph says though. You ended up at 50% with a bit over 2.5-3 hours of constant use. It really depends on your screen brightness and what you were doing in those 2 hours to judge whether that’s good or not.

Also while the phone was on standby you lost no battery (maybe 1-2% for the 4 hours it was not used).
I didnt post a graph,

jgiannakas

macrumors member
May 26, 2014
I didnt post a graph,

Sorry mistaken you for the OP!!

Loosing 2% per hour is on the high side. If I were you I’d disable location services for the apps that you don’t need, or at least change them to when using only. Also disable background updates for all apps besides the ones you want to actually do things in the background (eg. Netflix downloading a movie while the app is in the background). That should help quite a bit.

Libertas

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2018
Sorry mistaken you for the OP!!

Loosing 2% per hour is on the high side. If I were you I’d disable location services for the apps that you don’t need, or at least change them to when using only. Also disable background updates for all apps besides the ones you want to actually do things in the background (eg. Netflix downloading a movie while the app is in the background). That should help quite a bit.
Way way ahead of you, i have location services turned completely off even for stuff I want it on but keep it off till I need it, though I have it on for a few necessary things. All of it while using, never always. Worst offender is WAZE so I have to turn it off always. All push stuff is off too. Background app refresh turned completely off too.

WuMyster

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
I’m pretty pissed about my XS battery life. Spotify in the background drains my battery 50% in 2-3 hours.

Also this is my 4th day with my XS and the battery health dropped to 99%. I’ve literally done less than 5 full battery charges.

This worth returning?

Libertas

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2018
I’m pretty pissed about my XS battery life. Spotify in the background drains my battery 50% in 2-3 hours.

Also this is my 4th day with my XS and the battery health dropped to 99%. I’ve literally done less than 5 full battery charges.

This worth returning?
Dont know if you should return it but this is why we are no longer ALLOWED To know how long our battery lasts, without doing a tremendous amount of math, unlike before when it specifically told you. Oh well. We have MUCH bigger problems right now and I assume I am not allowed to discuss them.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016

Most of the time that day I was out in the sun. So it was a mix of YouTube on full brightness on 4G to web surfing on 4G at around 75% brightness. And some lighter WiFi usage with like 50% brightness with just home screen, surfing etc. Most days aren’t like that though.

Techman82

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2016
I wish apple would go back to the old way of monitoring battery life. I liked the standby time and actual usage time since the last 100% charge.
I'd assume this way of monitoring battery now is purposely done to either confuse or that the user will not bother going to the trouble of figuring out how much they've actually been using the phone since last charge, apple knows people take screenshots of battery life and how easy it was to compare with the previous iphone, that's why they changed it, they won't give a decent fast charger even though every reviewer and customer is sick of the greed, didn't take them long to change the bagel though did it, typical, cause it didn't cost them, that's why!

Libertas

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2018
I'd assume this way of monitoring battery now is purposely done to either confuse or that the user will not bother going to the trouble of figuring out how much they've actually been using the phone since last charge, apple knows people take screenshots of battery life and how easy it was to compare with the previous iphone, that's why they changed it, they won't give a decent fast charger even though every reviewer and customer is sick of the greed, didn't take them long to change the bagel though did it, typical, cause it didn't cost them, that's why!
Apple was getting so many frustrated service calls over the battery and those stats that we used so they got rid of them. And when they want to sell more phones they will release an update that destroys your battery.

I should change to Samsung but they cant be any better. If we lived where regulations were a thing people understood and respected we could FORCE them to do things differently.

adamgbiggs

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2013
UK
Here’s mine, I have used my Xs a lot today so far...

D741AC4A-7C8F-4C74-82F7-03E6D1208D18.png

Screen on time is 10h 8m and battery is still at 41%.

Adam.

Libertas

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2018
Here’s mine, I have used my Xs a lot today so far...

View attachment 795513

Screen on time is 10h 8m and battery is still at 41%.

Adam.
10 hours is over the last 24 hours, if you charged it less than 24 hours ago then that figure is not the same.

I get 4 screen hours for 80% use. I assume most get much better but I am used to any phone I ever buy not getting good battery.

adamgbiggs

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2013
UK
10 hours is over the last 24 hours, if you charged it less than 24 hours ago then that figure is not the same.

I get 4 screen hours for 80% use. I assume most get much better but I am used to any phone I ever buy not getting good battery.
oh lol, thanks for the correction, I really don’t know how it works, I thought it gave screen usage since last charge.

Adam.

Aftermath747

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2015
Here’s mine on a XS Max.

Attachments

• D75BF466-2EAA-4C6F-846C-802EE2CAF2F4.png
    D75BF466-2EAA-4C6F-846C-802EE2CAF2F4.png
    562.3 KB · Views: 479
  • 9A8940C4-08D9-4CC3-9E28-CA1107A3C7AE.png
    9A8940C4-08D9-4CC3-9E28-CA1107A3C7AE.png
    674.3 KB · Views: 667

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone

That’s because weather apps use gps location and report back so weather app provider can sell info to advertisers.

You have to turn off location in weather app to prevent it. If you have several weather apps they are all doing it. So bigger drain.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
And if XS owners leave their battery at less than 100% overnight on standby, how much drain do they get?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.