Owning/Using a Mac in peace?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by blueshogun96, Apr 11, 2015.

1. blueshogun96 macrumors regular

blueshogun96

I originally got a Macbook Pro primarily to do iOS and MacOSX app development, nothing more, nothing less. Before then, I had no interest in using or owning a Mac and was almost strictly PC & Windows. So, when I get my first Macbook Pro, it was a gift because the previous owner had an A1226 model with a bad GPU and he didn't want to go though the trouble of fixing it. After a while, I discovered that I really liked MacOSX, and Snow Leopard was a really nice OS. Eventually it got stolen though, so I had to buy another one. Even bought a used Mac Pro 1,1 and upgraded it to run Mavericks and much more. Now I use OSX more than I use Windows, especially for all the UNIX perks. It's great for work, and very suitable for all the development projects I do.

But if there's one thing I noticed it's that it's darn near impossible to own a Mac and live in peace about it. Let's say I'm on a forum or a chatroom, and I mention that I'm using a Mac, porting some source code to it, or anything that's Apple related, it's immediately followed by "Apple sucks", "Macs are for f*gs", "are you a hipster?", "you are retarded", "get a real computer", "enjoy your expensive paperweight", "Apple fanslave" and so on. What's worse is that if you even attempt to defend your reasoning for owning a Mac or even challenge them to a logical explanation as to why I am all of these labels you are applying to me, I get the usual "Apple's PR" comment. Of course, when I challenge their reasons, 90% of them have never used a Mac or haven't touched it in a decade. When the argument is over, I normally have them speechless, repeating the same material even though I gave them facts to the contrary, or they start resorting to ad hominem attacks and strawman points in a pathetic attempt to continue arguing. Their usual criticsms are regarding the price tag and the library of games. It's mostly about the games, but they'll defend Linux to no end even though Apple has a larger selection of games available on Steam and the App Store than Debian Linux does. I like Debian Linux and I'm not anti-Windows either (although Windows does piss me off sometimes), but MacOSX just happens to be my most used OS atm. It's not because I'm an Apple fan, it's because I'm getting my money's worth out of this hardware.

Anyone else having similar experiences? I really don't care what anyone says about me and my Macs. I'm passed the point of caring what people think of me because I use/own X (this isn't high school). They work well, and I can afford them on my salary. Plus, while they are trolling me, I'm steadily making profitable software/games ;)

Shogun

2. satcomer, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2015

satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Take care in the fact if you are developing for OS X or iOS Mac users are more wiling to shell out for good shareware!

Most Mac users use the Mac App Store and MacUpdate.com.

Now since you talk about Linux users giving you grief about using OS X don't worry. As a Mac users you have to grow a thick skin and just feel sorry for any fanboy trying to put your choice of computer. Life is to short to really let fanboys get under your skin! Just live by the saying" Whatever floats your boat" and "live and let live" and have confidence you can fix, update and get around more that one style of computer. Besides if you miss another computer you could always use emulation software and/or Apple Boot Camp to load all sorts of operating systems on your Mac.

3. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I started using Macs as my personal computer in 2003. People thought I was stupid. When the people making fun of using Mac OS > XP finally took a look at my PowerBook and Mac OS, they fell in love. I switched all of my close friends to Mac in a matter of a couple years.

Honestly though, are you really this offended by people criticizing your choice of operating system? Does it really matter? Do you feel personally victimized? How does this actually affect you?

4. blueshogun96 thread starter macrumors regular

blueshogun96

I think you missed the part where I said:

"I really don't care what anyone says about me and my Macs. I'm passed the point of caring what people think of me because I use/own X (this isn't high school)."

No, it's not about offense. I'm a black person and I've been called a "******" multiple times in life, and not even that offends me because to me, it's just a word. Just like when trolls talk, they are just words. It gets annoying that in most spaces I can't have a productive conversation about software dev when Mac is brought up, but offended? Trust me, offending me is a hard thing to do.

Shogun.

5. chown33 macrumors 604

One simple approach is to simply not respond to the shrill postings of fanboyists. Engagement is your choice. Argument needs opposition.

Worst case, you have to wade through a sea of noise to find some useful signal. If the S/N ratio is too bad, find a different forum.

6. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

People can be articulate and not like Apple gear too. Those are the best threads because they always know what the heck they're talking about and are not just students who are tight on money. :D

You have to accept your differences though.

7. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Let them know they're haters lol. Especially windows lovers.

8. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

Haters gonna hate. Be a loner like me and ignore the idiotic haters and fanboys. :rolleyes:

9. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

No I saw it, but you had quite a rant going there :) I'm glad you're not blowing out of proportion as some die hard fanboys/fangirls might like the way a child would. As you clearly are aware, there are much more serious forms of discrimination in the world. Being a Jew, especially being raised up in a predominantly Christian area, I can relate to your experience. I've been called a slew of racial slurs in my lifetime.

Anyways, I'd take the other member's advice. Just ignore it. If you argue, it will antagonize the opposition. Obviously, that will lead the conversation astray. If despite your lack of engagement it persists, go elsewhere or don't mention your OS preference unless necessary. Or just stick around here with your own kind :cool:

A wise woman named Taylor Swift once said "Shake it Off"

10. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I think I was criticised once over what computer I use and I just shrugged it off. Hardly a major issue is it?

11. Scepticalscribe, Apr 12, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2015

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agreed. I wouldn't class this as a major issue, either.

While I have read and noted the points made about discrimination, insults and offensive behaviour where race is concerned (and that is what I would regard as a major issue), I think the sensitivity surrounding what make of computer one owns is a lot less important.

It has only become important because a lot of youngsters, especially, seem to derive a fair degree of their sense of self, and their invested identity, from the sort of computer that they own.

Unfortunately, I suspect that Apple may have helped to create an environment where a degree of antagonism became inevitable as a result of some of those highly effective and rather influential ads from the 80s, (the ones where Apple - and those who bought it and bought into its world view - was portrayed as cool, and cutting edge, whereas Microsoft was the world of boring suits). While Apple did get the name of being cool (and more cutting edge, stylish, expensive), it also possibly got a name for being arrogant and condescending. Hence, brittle reactions to some Apple products and owners.

In a society driven a lot by capitalism, the market and the idea of consumer choice, the issue is not whether people buy different brands of certain products - they do - but whether they seek to be defined by these brands, and, if so, is this a cause for concern or criticism?

Seriously, I think there is a lot more to worry about than one's choice of computer.

12. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

For the most part, I'm not on internet sites where my equipment is really a concern, question, or where there's too much bad mojo. On dev sites, real developers know the value of a Mac - just pop into a good shop anywhere in the world and you'll see rows of Macs.

I was just in SF, and we used a nice work site to pound away at the prototype all day, pretty big joint - about 85% Macs. Many of these folks weren't sitting around surfing the net, they were writing badass apps, coding in Obj-C, Node, Rails - and in our case, writing C++ and doing 3D VR design. :cool:

I just laugh at the halfwits when I'm not ignoring them. I mean, I'm sitting here using my Mac(s), 2 blocks from the ocean in a beautiful house, with a smart/sexy wife, and amazing kid, having a blast with what I get to do - they're mostly shaking their angry anti-Apple e-fist at the world from a cubicle or their bedroom in their parents house :D

One thing I've never, ever encountered - though I've read a few posts about it occurring - is ANYONE saying anything to me in person about my choice of phone, computer, tablet. Mostly people are friendly, sometimes even interested/curious, but of course, _never_ever_ anything like how they act online - so that's something to keep in the back of your head too, when you're reading posts from weak little internet warriors :D

BTW, if you need practice, just wade into the news section right here on MR ;) There's plenty of "adults" who spend HOURS posting dozens of times in various threads policing other people's posts, you know, keeping things straightened out, because that's a good use of their time, hahahaha .... !

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I don't know where you hang out at, but I've never had anyone criticize me for my choice in computers. Maybe you need to stop hanging out with children.

14. Roller macrumors 68020

I agree. All online forums, including this one, have their share of uncivil people, but I wouldn't hang out on any one where comments like the ones the OP quoted are routine. That's why I rarely participate in the online discussions that follow stories on many news sites, because they often devolve rapidly.

Back in the mid-late 1990s, I was sometimes asked why I continued to buck the trend and use Macs instead of Windows computers. That doesn't happen to me these days, though the differences have diminished considerably over the years.

15. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I've never been attacked when I mention my Mac usage on a predominantly Windows forum, although I won't say it's never happened to anyone.

16. Meister Suspended

Meister

I have experienced very hostile reactions from work colleagues. Mostly swearing. :p
    I've also observed severe prejudice towards :apple: products in stores and other places.

I remember a huge conflict at an institution I was at, where all the PCs were replaced with Macs.

Some of the reasons for the hostility are:

• anti-americanism
    • anti-technologyism
    • supposed privacy issues
    • price!!
    • compatability

Oddest reason a work colleague gave me last year: ":apple: works too well and I don't want my devices to work to well, otherwise I will start using them too often." :confused: :p :( :D

17. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Hilarious. :)

18. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Actually, I have never experienced any hostility about my ownership of Apple computers.

If anything, I have been on the receiving end of a respectful curiosity, and (from fellow Mac users) an understated mutual appreciation - of our respective computers - session.

But if people invest some of their growing sense of self in their choice of computer, especially youngsters, who are notoriously sensitive to brand identity while they attempt to work out who they actually are, then, yes, I can see how they might run the risk of being a bit thin-skinned when criticised about their choice of computer.

Seriously, it is not anything to lose sleep over. There are far worse problems in the world.

19. samiwas macrumors 65816

Maybe I hang around the wrong people, but I can't even remember the last time someone accosted me over my use of a Mac.

Who are these people?

20. Happybunny macrumors 68000

After that RANT, and I'm meant to believe that you really don't care, yeah RIGHT. :rolleyes:

I've never experienced any negative feedback because I use a Mac.

21. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

There's more to life than what computer or smartphone you use. Thankfully I'm old enough where that sort of thing means zero to me, my family, and friends. Like what you like, screw what anyone else thinks. Life too short to worry about nonsense..

22. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agreed. I think the OP doth protest too much……..about the fact that he doesn't care about the reactions of others…...

The voice of maturity and common sense.

You know, I am sorely tempted to let the youngsters on the forum into one of life's great secrets, which can be classed as one of the advantages of ageing gracefully, (yes, there are some) and maturing, like a vintage port, with balance, flavour of richly lived experience and deep depths, and it is this.

You really, really, don't give two hoots for what anyone else thinks of your computer (or clothes, or car….) by the time you reach your fifth decade. Seriously. You don't……….

23. Meister Suspended

Meister

... the people that react hostile to my mac and other electronics are almost all 50+.
    Young folks often use macs themselves.

24. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Seriously?

I thought it was a problem experienced solely by the young, consumed by brand (and human) identity crisis.

Anyway, I have to say, quite seriously, I have never experienced it anywhere, not from any age group, no matter where I have worked.

25. Meister Suspended

Meister

Of course seriously. There are no people younger than about 25 at my workplace and I tend to ignore anyones opinion below 30 in general. Some even start arguments about iPhones with me. They are mainly concerned and upset about privacy issues, which I somewhat understand.

I also know several people who don't comprehend the concept of a smartphone.