P-51 Crashes Into Crowd at Nevada Air Race

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by ucfgrad93, Sep 16, 2011.

1. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Oh, this is just tragic. Early reports have 3 killed and over 50 injured. I hope it wasn't a result of some medical condition that struck the 80-year-old pilot in the middle of the race.

www.foxnews.com/us/2011/09/16/plane-crashes-at-nevada-air-race/#ixzz1YAurK5T6

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

This was covered on the KRNO LiveATC.net feed, if you want to hear everything as it happened. I'm not going ot post the clip of the comms here, as it is available at the forums at LiveATC, but I'll warn you it isn't pretty.

As far as the pilot and the aircraft go, I hate to say it but I'm leaning towards something medically happening to the pilot from other reports, that P51 was recently inspected and given a clean bill, so it was in good order. It may have even been one of the P51s that was here the week prior at the Capital Airshow in Sacramento. There were a group of P51s here, but without catching the aircraft reg. number, I won't know for sure..

The rest of the Reno Air Race is cancelled (obviously), and there is talk of cancelling them period. $85 million tourism hit to Nevada.

BL.

3. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I hope this doesn't end up being the case. Obviously there's an element of increased risk when pushing airplanes to the limit, and everyone involved is well aware of the risks (including the spectators). It's a shame when something like this happens, but shutting it all down isn't the solution, IMO.

It's just speculation, but I've been hearing that the pilot lost a control tab on his elevator. Ugh...

4. ucfgrad93 thread starter macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

That is what I have heard as well. I'm glad that it doesn't appear that there was some sort of medical issue with the pilot. In my opinion, 74 is too old to be doing something like this.

Unfortunately, the death toll has climbed to 9.

www.foxnews.com/us/2011/09/17/feder...aused-deadly-crash-at-air-show/#ixzz1YFibmxdF

5. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Saw this... pretty horrific from the footage, glad to see it didn't take out all the grand stands... like the one about ten years in Rammstein.

6. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

That 74 year old was in better shape then a lot of 50 year olds!

It seems in 1998 a very similar incident happened, the YOUNG 30 something pilot also blacked out, fortunately his 51 headed up and he recovered and landed safely.

----------

that one was about 25 years ago.

(suks huh)

7. Huntn, Sep 18, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2011

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I've talked to a guy who has been to the Reno air races and he says at the closest point to the grandstand they are a quarter mile away. I know at airshows, in the U.S., they can't do maneuvers perpendicular to the crowd. That was why so many got killed in Ramstein. Now for this case, if the guy blacked out or had a mechanical failure, and stopped pulling the required Gs to stay within the course boundaries, I could see it would not be that hard to drift out and down into the crowd. You know all aviation related rules are written in blood. It will be interesting to see what regulations come out of this accident.

[​IMG]

8. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Reno air races follow a track that avoids the stands as much as possible.

Unlimited race track:
    [​IMG]

Witnesses and Video of what 51 did seemed to show is suddenly climbed upward, then started to roll to right, in direction of stands, and kept rolling as it headed down and hit the ground (unfortunately some people).

I just discovered that a member of my CAF club was one of the casualties.

It was a freak accident.

9. alphaone macrumors 6502

The attached picture pretty clearly shows that the pitch trim tab did separate from the aircraft. Similar to what happened a while back to Voodoo: http://www.warbird.com/voodoo.html (scroll down).

Attached Files:

10. Trudy macrumors regular

I was in Germany then, about an hour away luckily. It was back further, 23 years ago, 1988.