PAC Code. Orange issues....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hubble1990, Nov 21, 2007.

1. hubble1990 macrumors member

I've been with orange for nearly ten years and think it's now time for a change. After minor credit issue with o2 I am now the proud owner of a new iPhone and an 18 month contract. A heavy price to pay but worth it. The phone is just superb.

I was on a Pay as you go with Orange and not a contract so the termination policy wasn't painful or so I thought....
    The fun started a few days ago when I contacted Orange for the PAC code as I wanted to migrate my old number across. The chap promptly asked who are you going to and why??

I simply replied that I was going to O2 and because Orange's (back-hander to Apple) wasn't as big as O2's...Just kidding. I just said that I wanted the iPhone and you just don't offer them.
    If they did then I would have stayed with Orange.

Anyway they said the PAC code would take a couple of days to arrive. I said can you give me the info over the phone - no he said it was a matter of Data protection and all that. Anyway after waiting a few days the PAC code still hasn't arrived so I called them up again this morning and pleaded with them to release the code. Sure we can do that and even send it to my mobile! Two minutes later the text arrived with the PAC info and wait for it my mobile no in-place of the where PAC code should have been?????:confused:

Once again on the the phone to Orange and asked why had they sent me my mobile no instead of the PAC code. They were left speechless.
    He replied "I'm sorry sir but we have a strict policy and PAC codes are never meant to be sent via text messages or over the phone" "Whoever sent you that code was breaching company policy"

Here we go i thought.....:rolleyes:

'We will send you another letter shortly with the information to require......"

So the bottom line is looks like I'll have to whistle for my dinner and wait for my PAC code:(

2. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

As long as your PAYG sim is registered in your name you are entitled to your PAC Code without further ado. Some networks let you have it over the phone, others (including Orange, I think) will text it to you, and some will only despatch it by post.

Good luck with it!

3. MacMonkee macrumors regular

MacMonkee

I had big problems with Orange too. I had a contract with them and called them over a week before the iPhone came out and they told me that the PAC code would be sent in the post and I would recieve it in a matter of days.

A week later and I still hadn't received any letter so I was a bit worried as there were only about two lefts until iPhone was out. So I called them up and told them that I really needed it for the Friday and they told me that I hadn't even requested a PAC code and that despite their cock up they still wouldn't send me the code via any other means.

Eventually I got the code from them but was a couple of days after i got the iPhone and then had to wait a week to get the number ported :mad:

4. sara123456 macrumors member

Just to let orange customers know that if they want to keep there number to ring up now and ask for there PAC code, so you get it in time for the 11th of July. Orange seem to be the only company that sends them by post so its best to be on the save side :)

5. ajthomason macrumors 6502

I switched from Orange to Vodafone because Orange has no signal in my house, phoned up 9 months ago and they sent the PAC by post. Now I'm moving from Vodafone to o2 for the iPhone 3G, so I thought that I'd play it safe, assuming that they would post me my PAC, to my surprise I phoned up Vodafone and within 5 mins I had the code and now am just waiting to give it to O2 - I don't see why I had to wait 5 days when I asked for it from orange last year!

But you're right - best to order it with plenty of time to spare. They last 30 days, so you should be OK.

6. sara123456 macrumors member

Yeah did does seem funny that orange are the only company that takes time to send the PAC code most other networks seem to texts you or tell you it when you ring them. Don't get me wrong I don't have any problems with orange I have been with them for 10 years but I have to leave as its the only way to get an Iphone. :mad:

7. atiffarooq macrumors 6502

atiffarooq

Hi guys. I'm leaving Orange as well (to get the iPhone) and have a quick question about the PAC code. What happens if you don't use the code within the mentioned 30 days? I assume your contract with Orange just continues and you have to request it again?

8. sara123456 macrumors member

Yeah if you don't use the PAC code within the 30days you just have to ring up and ask for it again. The Letter they send you doesn't really say much about the PAC code more about them persuading you to stay :)

9. atiffarooq macrumors 6502

atiffarooq

I'd stay with them, but when I went to upgrade they were really ar$ey with me asking questions about my new upgraded contract, so that really cheesed me off! So they're going to have a job on there hands if they think they can persuade me to stay. That, and the fact that they don't have the iPhone :p

10. Badgerguy macrumors member

Orange's policy seems to be that on the first request, to issue your PAC code by post, which should arrive within 3-5 working days. If you don't receive it, then call again, and they should issue it by text message (why they can't do this on the first attempt is unknown).

Of course, they may try to persuade you to stay, and perhaps even tempt you with deals. They'll also contact you again after you've given the PAC code to O2 to ensure that the transfer is authorized, and again to persuade you to stay.

DO NOT cancel your contract with your current operator - the number you wish to port MUST be active for it to be ported, the cancellation of your old service will happen automatically when the porting takes place.

The only circumstance in which an operator can refuse to issue your PAC code is if you are still in the middle of the minimum term on your contract, or have outstanding bills, or have cancelled your contract and /then/ try to get your PAC code.

If they are withholding your PAC code for no good reason, or repeatedly tell you that it's 'in the post' and it never arrives - call OFCOM for assistance.
    --
    BG

11. badgerman macrumors 6502a

My orange contract finished on the 15th June I rang up to give my 30 days notice and they said it would be easier to go on PAYG then get PAC cos they charge for 30 days after PAC. :eek: Didnt make sense to me. So still on contract and have a PAYG sim at home. Should I swap to PAYG or stay on contract and ask for my PAC code now and give it to O2 on the 11th?

12. atiffarooq macrumors 6502

atiffarooq

If your contract ran out on the 15th June then you can ring Orange and ask them for your PAC code and they should get this to you in 3 - 5 working days. They then send a final bill, which includes charges up to the day that your number is transferred. They can't charge you for anything after the number has been transferred.

This is what I believe to be correct. Maybe someone who has been through the process can just confirm this?

13. Badgerguy macrumors member

I got my PAC code in the post yesterday (had taken 3 working days to arrive), it states that the code is valid for 30 days - if I don't use the code within the 30 day period - nothing happens, your contract will just carry on as it would have done if you'd never requested the code.

Sounds like you spoke to someone who was prepared to bend the truth to try and get you to stay with Orange.

Bottom line is this: If your contract is over, and you intend to switch to the iPhone on O2 on the 11th - call and insist on getting your PAC now so that you'll have it in plenty of time for the 11th - then all you need to do is make sure you're in line at your local O2 store so you get one before they sell out ;)

--
    BG

14. alFR macrumors 68020

That's pretty much how it worked for me last November, except the final bill arrived a few days after the number was transferred.

15. spinalman macrumors newbie

I am on Orange, out of contract and rang today to get my PAC code. The Orange operator disuaded me from doing so because he stated that if I don't get an iPhone within 30 days of the PAC code being issued then I lose the number. He said that "a customer had said that an O2 dealer revealed that the first batch of iPhones were defective and that there would be a waiting time of 2 months". I took that with a wheelbarrow of salt and said I had not heard anything to corroberate that.

16. brulafu macrumors member

I called Orange earlier today and spoke to June (really nice woman) who said that it wasn't a problem. I explained that I didnt want to leave orange but didnt have a choice - she said that is fine no problem. Then said she would send the PAC code out and I would get it within 2 - 3 working days and once ported across would take 3-5 working days. Once that happened my final bill would come in.

Now here's the weird thing. My 18 month contract with them was due to bu up in October, but she said that it was already up and my account would just be cancelled once the number gets ported over.

Im really surprised how easy that was......

July 11th.....bring it on !!

17. zed2 macrumors 6502a

well I was with orange and moved to O2 for the original iphone... they screwed up the PAC code first time and sent the mobile number... called them straight back and they sent it to me by get this: text, e-mail, and letter.

So they can and do and do it!

--Zed

18. Badgerguy macrumors member

Hmm, I'd be skeptical unless you can get a definate confirmation - it's incredibly rare for any operator to just let you cancel a contract early with no charge.

19. Badgerguy macrumors member

As previously noted, Orange's first approach is to issue it by letter - if that doesn't arrive and you find yourself having to call again, then they will issue by text.

The policy of all the major operators in the UK can be found HERE.

--
    Mark Lomas

20. Badgerguy macrumors member

Lol, what allot of utter nonscense! I'm guessing that the service representatives have been told to bend over backwards to stop people opting to leave for O2 to get an iPhone - and this probably includes bending (or even totally breaking it seems) the truth!

You will NOT lose the number if you don't use the PAC code - Orange's official letter to me yesterday (with my PAC code) states that if I don't use the code - nothing will happen and my contract will continue.

So, the absolute worst that can happen, the absolute bottom line, will be if the iPhone sells out and you can't get one within the 30 days - in which case your number will continue to operate with your current operator, and you'll have to get your PAC code again when new stock comes in and you're ready to try again.

Now, there is the possibility of these 'early signups' that I keep hearing about, whereby you get the ball rolling with your new O2 contract in advance of July 11th, but have your account suspended until you actually go any buy the handset. If this does become possible, then one question I would like answered, is at what point will O2 actually attempt to use the PAC code? Also, does my registration of a suspended 'advance iPhone contract' mean an iPhone will be reserved for me, thereby avoiding any issues here?

--
    BG

21. brulafu macrumors member

I agree too, but I got her name and will follow it up if need be.....

I'm sure my contract was up in October....but we'll see....it could be that I've mistimed it and it is up already. Also to be fair to Orange, I didnt tell them I was moving to O2 but was moving for work reasons and didn't have a choice.

We'll see what happens and i'll let you know when I find out :)

22. atiffarooq macrumors 6502

atiffarooq

Quick Question ....

I've just rung Orange and requested my PAC code, they said that it would be in the post and with me in 3 - 5 working days. All in all the conversation lasted about 30 seconds and they only asked me why I wanted to leave, and when I said I was moving to O2 for the iPhone he seemed to know there was no convincing me to change my mind :p. I have one quick question though. If I use my PAC code and the number is transferred to O2, if I then decide that for some absurd reason that the iPhone is not for me then I'm assuming I can cancel the contract within 14 days and return the phone? What happens if I then want to take my number to another operator? Is that allowed and can O2 provide another PAC code?

23. zed2 macrumors 6502a

yes O2 will provide the PAC code!!...

btw.. did you know that orange still route your call!.. basically the original operator still receives the calls for your mobile number and then "forwards" them over to your new operator who then sends it to the phone.

--Zed

24. Badgerguy macrumors member

Well, once you've given the operator the PAC code and the transfer has gone through, then your number will be 'owned' by the new provider - so you'll need to get a PAC code from O2 to port to someone else. As someone pointed out though, the quirk of the way this all works is that the number you originally got is part of a 'pool' of numbers assigned to your original provider - so when you port, the number stays with them and is simply routed to your new provider!

For me, regardless of quirks or anything else for that matter, my number is precious to me - i've had the same one for a decade now. However troublesome it may be, the ability to keep my number is crucial to me for switching - thankfully, this is something all operators must allow you to do, else you can tell their Mums! (Or OFCOM!) :)

--
    BG

25. brulafu macrumors member

I didn't realise this......interesting stuff !!

The number I have now was originally a Vodafone number, ported to Orange. (This may be a stupid question but....) If calls are routed does this mean my new O2 calls will be routed through Orange & Vodafone or just vodafone...? Not that its interesting...