Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Accessory company Pad & Quill today announced the "Aria Smart Keyboard Case" for the upcoming 2020 refresh of the iPad Pro. Pad & Quill's cases are available for pre-order in both 11-inch and 12.9-inch sizes, and they include a square camera cutout for a triple-lens camera.

pq-aria-ipad-pro-2020.jpg

We've seen square cutouts in leaked iPad Pro cases over the past few days, with rumors pointing to the 2020 iPad Pro family gaining similar cameras as those seen on the iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro.

Yesterday, leaker Ben Geskin shared a few images of a case allegedly fitting the 2020 iPad Pro, with a similar square camera cutout. Now that Pad & Quill has launched pre-orders for its own official cases, it appears more likely that we can expect a similar camera setup on the upcoming iPad Pro line.

Apple is expected to update the iPad Pro sometime in 2020, perhaps in the first half of the year. The new models are rumored to have the same 11-inch and 12.9-inch dimensions as the previous generation. Not much else is currently known about the new iPad Pros, other than the rumored triple-lens camera.

Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo backed this up with a prediction of his own, stating that the 2020 iPad Pro will come with a triple-lens camera system with support for 3D sensing for augmented reality. This unveiling could happen during an Apple event rumored to take place in March.

The Aria Smart Keyboard Case is $99.95 for the 11-inch model and $109.95 for the 12.9-inch model. You can use the code PQ15 to take 15 percent off your order as well.

Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Pad & Quill. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Article Link: Pad & Quill Launch Pre-Orders for 2020 iPad Pro Leather Keyboard Cases With Cutout for Triple-Lens Camera

Reactions: jazz1

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I just want to know who buys this sort of portfolio to stick Apple’s portfolio in. I mean, the keyboard case is already a portfolio case.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I don’t think Apple inform these case makers that they are about to update their devices. These guys simply guess and or pay attention to the rumours, just like the rest of us.

Reactions: katbel and Dj64Mk7

Roscorito

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2018
The spring event is coming sooner rather than later, methinks. Curious, is anyone actually buying one of these things knowing that the 5G miniLED version is coming out in the fall?

Reactions: aviddk

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
The spring event is coming sooner rather than later, methinks. Curious, is anyone actually buying one of these things knowing that the 5G miniLED version is coming out in the fall?

Wouldn’t say “knowing” :)

I’ll certainly hold off, but then I have last year’s 12.9” so it will take quite a bit to get me to upgrade. Especially in a year where I’ll likely be buying a mid-year-refreshed 16” MBP :cool:

Reactions: JayMysterio

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
I was going to hold out for the new iPad Pros, but honestly, the only thing the current iPad Pros need is upgraded RAM and perhaps some structural rigidity. Not sure why Apple didn't make 6GB of RAM standard on such a powerful device they're touting as more powerful than most laptops, which they are. But they are way overpowered for iPadOS as it is. An A13X or A14X is nearly useless from a processing power standpoint without greatly increasing functionality of the OS. I may pull the trigger on a 1TB refurbished iPad Pro to get the upgraded RAM.

Last edited:

Roscorito

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2018

I’ll certainly hold off, but then I have last year’s 12.9” so it will take quite a bit to get me to upgrade. Especially in a year where I’ll likely be buying a mid-year-refreshed 16” MBP :cool:
The 3D scanner is the thing that’s going to be most tempting for me, but given how awesome HDR is it will be worth the wait. Would be amazing tho if they released the mini LED version in March, but that’s not what Kuo says.

Reactions: HVDynamo

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Setting aside the moral failure of putting a dead animal carcass on your iPad, this design is terrible. They actually think that putting an elastic strap across your camera lenses (which by it's very nature will rub back and forth) is somehow a good idea.
[automerge]1582659308[/automerge]
I was going to hold on the new iPad Pros, but honestly, all the current iPad Pros need is upgraded RAM and perhaps some structural rigidity. They are way overpowered for iPadOS as it is. An A13X or A14X is nearly useless from a processing power standpoint without greatly increasing functionality. I may pull the trigger on a 1TB refurbished iPad Pro.

I have yet to run into the 6gb ceiling on my 11". So unless someone just hands me another $2k, I'm just fine with the one I have.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
The 3D scanner is the thing that’s going to be most tempting for me, but given how awesome HDR is it will be worth the wait. Would be amazing tho if they released the mini LED version in March, but that’s not what Kuo says.
What do you think the scanner will be useful for?

imola.zhp

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2010
Mud Island (Memphis), TN
I just want to know who buys this sort of portfolio to stick Apple’s portfolio in. I mean, the keyboard case is already a portfolio case.

Weird, right? I guess someone that wants to class up their iPad?

Our first iPad had LTE, loved that little guy (Mini 2). Our current iPad pro is just WiFi, if I need to use it on the go I just tether from one of our iPhones. Saves $10/month plus taxes and regulatory fee's.

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
I was going to hold on the new iPad Pros, but honestly, all the current iPad Pros need is upgraded RAM and perhaps some structural rigidity. They are way overpowered for iPadOS as it is. An A13X or A14X is nearly useless from a processing power standpoint without greatly increasing functionality. I may pull the trigger on a 1TB refurbished iPad Pro.

This. I went from an iPad Air 2 to the iPad Pro, and although the screen, smooth scrolling and Apple Pencil 2 were phenomenal, I returned it and opted for the lowest-cost iPad released in 2019. I couldn't justify the cost given the limited nature of iPad OS.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Setting aside the moral failure of putting a dead animal carcass on your iPad, this design is terrible. They actually think that putting an elastic strap across your camera lenses (which by it's very nature will rub back and forth) is somehow a good idea.

I have yet to run into the 6gb ceiling on my 11". So unless someone just hands me another $2k, I'm just fine with the one I have.
I should have specified the upgraded RAM from the 4GB on the 64, 256, and 512 models. No reason why Apple couldn't have increased RAM to 6GB across the board, and that's honestly why I will probably buy an 11" refurbished 1TB.

Reactions: H3LL5P4WN

Roscorito

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2018
What do you think the scanner will be useful for?
Apple obviously intends it for creating 3D environments for AR and presumably scanning people/objects for occlusion. But I do some 3D video work so it will be useful for creating 3D models/head scans quickly.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA

I'm with you there. I've got a 2018 iPad Pro 12.9", and a minor refresh isn't going to make me leap. Also, I'm an accessory fiend. New folio's and keyboard folio's are costly ;)

I do love Pad & Quill's stuff. I've owned a few of their bags. The adhesive, and elastic holder just does not do it for me though for the iPad. Why can't anyone come up with an Apple like magnetic thing like Apple's for third party folios?

Reactions: H3LL5P4WN

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Wait, these things don't even have their own keyboard? This is a case, for a case? :oops:

I should have specified the upgraded RAM from the 4GB on the 64, 256, and 512 models. No reason why Apple couldn't have increased RAM to 6GB across the board.

I may have read something indicating that the larger amount of storage required the extra 2gb, but take that with a grain of salt. As for why 6gb wasn't the standard? Margins.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Apple obviously intends it for creating 3D environments for AR and presumably scanning people/objects for occlusion. But I do some 3D video work so it will be useful for creating 3D models/head scans quickly.

I see. Yeah, I’m sure it will be useful for AR, but I’ve not found AR to be useful for much so far. Need glasses - waving around an iPad is not too compelling to me.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
They actually think that putting an elastic strap across your camera lenses (which by it's very nature will rub back and forth) is somehow a good idea.
What image are you looking at? The image above clearly shows the camera module is below the thickness of the case and the strap is above it. Not sure how you get rub back and forth from what we're looking at in that image. Seems to be an unlikely scenario.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
I'm with you there. I've got a 2018 iPad Pro 12.9", and a minor refresh isn't going to make me leap. Also, I'm an accessory fiend. New folio's and keyboard folio's are costly ;)

I'd be homeless if they ever did Folios and Keyboard Folios in colors like the iPhones/Watches. At the same time, it irks me that it's my one i-device that I can't color coordinate.

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014

Just wait for an iOS update or two.

You’ll have reloading tabs, with a slower system and zero increased functionality soon enough. It’s the AppleWay™

iGobbleoff

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2011

Animals are tasty, particularly if they’re medium rare and with a nice Cab Sav

Reactions: Ursadorable

jjudson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2017
North Carolina
Either the iPad Pro refresh is still a ways off, or Apple has done an amazing job keeping this one under wraps. There's been surprisingly little leaked about the new model. The main rumor focus seems to be around the camera, which is virtually useless for most iPad Pro users. Not much else, though, has been talked about.

Reactions: RevTEG
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.