Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

barcode00

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 25, 2010
Hullo,

Are my Page ins / Page outs considered abnormal?

I realise it may be hard to define what is normal or not, so I have included my 'About this Mac'. I would not say I spend my time observing the Activity Monitor, so I am not sure whether this reading is unusual. I am only basing this on what I have seen elsewhere.

I'm referring to this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1260207/.

Thanks,

screenshot20111022at021.png

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/4700/screenshot20111022at022.png

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Northern District NY
Oh s***! That's allot of page outs! I had 4gigs of pages outs yesterday but since I upgraded to 6GB's of RAM today my machine is allot faster (though I need to get my fans fixed).

Comment

GuitarG20

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2011
whoa that's a lot... what's the uptime on that thing?

Last edited:
Comment

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Are my Page ins / Page outs considered abnormal?
First, you don't need to worry about page ins. You will always have page ins, but you may or may not have page outs, which indicate you're maxing out your RAM. Be aware that those numbers are cumulative since your last restart. Restart your computer to reset those values to zero, then monitor your page outs under your normal workload. If you have excessive page outs (around 1GB or more) during normal use, you may benefit from additional RAM. iStat Pro can track your computer uptime, memory usage, etc.

Comment

GuitarG20

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2011
First, you don't need to worry about page ins. You will always have page ins, but you may or may not have page outs, which indicate you're maxing out your RAM. Be aware that those numbers are cumulative since your last restart. Restart your computer to reset those values to zero, then monitor your page outs under your normal workload. If you have excessive page outs (around 1GB or more) during normal use, you may benefit from additional RAM. iStat Pro can track your computer uptime, memory usage, etc.

so can MenuMeters, if you want something that sits on your menu bar.

Comment

macuser1232

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2012
Ok, so I understand Page In's don't matter. So, why does he have page out's if he still has plenty of ram to spare?

Comment

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Ok, so I understand Page In's don't matter. So, why does he have page out's if he still has plenty of ram to spare?
The page outs occurred at an earlier time, when there was no available RAM. Page outs are cumulative, since the last restart. Once you have page outs, that number won't go back to zero until you restart the computer, even if you're no longer paging out.

Comment

shamash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2008
Taichung, Taiwan
Also I have about 16gb page outs in the past 3 days of using my computer without shutting down. Honestly, I haven't noticed anything affecting my computer at all. A lot of people seem to be like "amg pageouts death death amg" but I wouldn't have noticed anything if I didn't check activity monitor.

Comment

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Also I have about 16gb page outs in the past 3 days of using my computer without shutting down. Honestly, I haven't noticed anything affecting my computer at all. A lot of people seem to be like "amg pageouts death death amg" but I wouldn't have noticed anything if I didn't check activity monitor.
You may or may not notice the slower performance due to paging activity. Performance is definitely degraded during paging, which is limited to drive read/write speed, which is much slower than RAM, even with a SSD. Whether you notice it or not is another matter.

Comment

wytwolf

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2012
The programs you are using may create a lot of page out and a large swap file also. I've monitored my page outs and swap file while running aperture and my page outs and swap file increases but I never run out of Ram.... it's weird. Hopefully this will be address in the next update of Aperture but something to be aware of.

P.S. I have 8GB of ram and the max aperture usually uses is about 3-3.25GB.

Comment

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
The programs you are using may create a lot of page out and a large swap file also. I've monitored my page outs and swap file while running aperture and my page outs and swap file increases but I never run out of Ram.... it's weird. Hopefully this will be address in the next update of Aperture but something to be aware of.

P.S. I have 8GB of ram and the max aperture usually uses is about 3-3.25GB.
As I said in the other thread you started about this:
Page outs are cumulative since your last restart, so it's likely they occurred when you didn't have free or inactive memory available. The swap used amount may vary as paging activity increases or declines, but will not return to zero until a restart. Try tracking it while you're running Aperture and you'll probably see that at the time page outs increase, there is no free/inactive memory available.

Comment

shamash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2008
Taichung, Taiwan
You may or may not notice the slower performance due to paging activity. Performance is definitely degraded during paging, which is limited to drive read/write speed, which is much slower than RAM, even with a SSD. Whether you notice it or not is another matter.

I think it's just a perk of how fast the Macbook Air is. On my 2006 Macbook 1,1 with 1gb of ram, I definitely notice running out of ram and a lot of beachballs. I've had nothing of the sort on the Macbook Air. Even if a SSD is slower than RAM, it's fast enough for me to not notice it, which is good enough in my book. I understand the idea that you need more ram, but I just don't agree with it I guess.

Comment

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I understand the idea that you need more ram, but I just don't agree with it I guess.
It's not so much that you need more RAM; it's that performance could be improved with more RAM. Whether or not you feel like you need that improvement is another matter.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.