Page ins / Page outs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by barcode00, Oct 21, 2011.

1. barcode00 macrumors member

2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yeah, thats abnormal. How long has it been since you restarted your computer?

3. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Oh s***! That's allot of page outs! I had 4gigs of pages outs yesterday but since I upgraded to 6GB's of RAM today my machine is allot faster (though I need to get my fans fixed).

4. GuitarG20, Oct 21, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2011

GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

whoa that's a lot... what's the uptime on that thing?

5. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

(to see this, just type 'uptime' (minus the quote marks) into terminal :cool: )

6. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

whoops. forgot about that. I always just used MenuMeters. xD

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

First, you don't need to worry about page ins. You will always have page ins, but you may or may not have page outs, which indicate you're maxing out your RAM. Be aware that those numbers are cumulative since your last restart. Restart your computer to reset those values to zero, then monitor your page outs under your normal workload. If you have excessive page outs (around 1GB or more) during normal use, you may benefit from additional RAM. iStat Pro can track your computer uptime, memory usage, etc.

9. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

so can MenuMeters, if you want something that sits on your menu bar.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, so can iStat Menus.

11. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

yup, they've got plenty of options xD

12. macuser1232 macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

Ok, so I understand Page In's don't matter. So, why does he have page out's if he still has plenty of ram to spare?

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The page outs occurred at an earlier time, when there was no available RAM. Page outs are cumulative, since the last restart. Once you have page outs, that number won't go back to zero until you restart the computer, even if you're no longer paging out.

14. shamash macrumors 6502a

shamash

Also I have about 16gb page outs in the past 3 days of using my computer without shutting down. Honestly, I haven't noticed anything affecting my computer at all. A lot of people seem to be like "amg pageouts death death amg" but I wouldn't have noticed anything if I didn't check activity monitor.

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You may or may not notice the slower performance due to paging activity. Performance is definitely degraded during paging, which is limited to drive read/write speed, which is much slower than RAM, even with a SSD. Whether you notice it or not is another matter.

16. wytwolf macrumors regular

The programs you are using may create a lot of page out and a large swap file also. I've monitored my page outs and swap file while running aperture and my page outs and swap file increases but I never run out of Ram.... it's weird. Hopefully this will be address in the next update of Aperture but something to be aware of.

P.S. I have 8GB of ram and the max aperture usually uses is about 3-3.25GB.

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As I said in the other thread you started about this:

18. shamash macrumors 6502a

shamash

I think it's just a perk of how fast the Macbook Air is. On my 2006 Macbook 1,1 with 1gb of ram, I definitely notice running out of ram and a lot of beachballs. I've had nothing of the sort on the Macbook Air. Even if a SSD is slower than RAM, it's fast enough for me to not notice it, which is good enough in my book. I understand the idea that you need more ram, but I just don't agree with it I guess.

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not so much that you need more RAM; it's that performance could be improved with more RAM. Whether or not you feel like you need that improvement is another matter.