Page Up, Page Down

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MareLuce, Nov 20, 2016.

1. MareLuce, Nov 20, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2016

MareLuce macrumors 6502

Am transitioning to new MacBook Pro from Thinkpad. I need to page up and page down hundreds (thousands?) of times each day in email, documents, presentations, spreadsheets.

Am used to page up or page down being a single keystroke without conscious thought:
    [​IMG]

On the MacBook, I see I can page down by:
    • Press Function key with my fifth finger, left hand.
      Then, while holding the Function key held down, press Down Arrow key with my right hand.

Problem: This
      - Doubles the number of keystrokes for something I do hundreds (thousands?) of times each day
      - Makes me move both hands off the keyboard, not just 1 hand
      - Requires conscious thought, at least right now

I realize I can scroll downward by:
    • Swipe 2 fingers up. However, this is not really equivalent to a page down. It’s easy to go too far down and miss spreadsheet rows or paragraphs.

Question:
    How could I make it possible to page up or page down in 1 keystroke or touchpad gesture, preferably with my right hand?

Ex: Could I define a 3-finger tap to be Page Down? (and something else to be Page Up?)

Would a 3'rd party tool do this?

2. anson42 macrumors regular

I think you need a third party solution for flexible keyboard remapping. Here's one:

https://pqrs.org/osx/karabiner/

but it currently doesn't work with Mac OS Sierra.

3. MareLuce thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you @anson42 I just donated to their open source effort.

This is one of the 2 friction points I need to figure out before I make this laptop my main work and personal laptop.

I'm thinking about remapping as follows:

Right side Option key = Page Down
    Right side Command key = Page Up

What could be the unintended consequences of doing that?

4. Chancha macrumors 6502a

I don't think it is universal, but in Apple native apps like Safari, page up down can be done by option+up/down. The right side option key is literally adjacent to the arrow keys, I can do this with one hand easily.

5. anson42 macrumors regular

If the software allows mapping the right side modifier keys separate from the left side ones then I can't think of any. I almost never use the right side ones myself because the Control key is missing so I tend to only use modifies on the left side. I might consider doing that you're thinking, too.

As @Chancha indicated, the right side modifiers are right next to the arrow keys so technically you do page up/down via Option-Up/Down one handed but only for some applications, because the general mapping is Function-Up/Down.

6. jackoatmon macrumors 6502a

jackoatmon

spacebar and shift spacebar are page up and page down in a bunch of stuff

i know it's not as good as the real thing haha, but until you figure it out

7. Murgatroyd314 macrumors regular

Better Touch Tool can do exactly this, assigning touchpad gestures of your choice to act as those keystrokes. For instance, you could use a 3-finger tap at the top of the pad to be Page Up, and one at the bottom to be Page Down.

8. MareLuce, Dec 10, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2016

MareLuce thread starter macrumors 6502

IT WORKS IT WORKS IT WORKS!!! Such a relief!

@Murgatroyd314 , You ROCK !!!
    Developer of Better Touch Tool, You ROCK!

Ta Da..... !!!

[​IMG]
    I wish I could make clean-looking key stickers like what I created above on the photo with SnagIt.

Plus I wish I could make a little nibbit above my fancy new page down key so I can find it a little more easily... like a braille thing or like the nibbit that Apple puts on the J and F keys...

Below shows the Better Touch Tools screen - and how I mapped
    new Shortcut (key sequence Option (right)) to Assigned Action Option Down Arrow.

At first I entered them in reverse from below and didn't think it worked. But once I put them in the right order it worked swimmingly!

[​IMG]

Here's how to buy it:
    https://sites.fastspring.com/boastr/product/bettertouchtool

The developer just charges $6.50 with option to pay more.
    So I paid him/her $15.00 for my license and still feel like I'm being cheap.
    What an awesome tool!