*!% pages auto save anyone!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by henry.oswald, Nov 20, 2007.

1. henry.oswald macrumors member

pages just crashed on me and i lost 5 really important links which tock hours to find. why would they not put an auto save in? how hard can it be? did they say something like our software doesn't crash so no auto save?!?!?

i've found this thread

http://www.macworld.com/forums/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=540908&Main=487629

but i really cant work out how to get this to work in automator, can someone help me at all, i put it in script editor and it does nothing for me when i run it.

Mr Jobs I am not impressed with you lately!

2. MAcNIAC macrumors regular

it's unbelievable they didnt include autosave - it'd be like not including copy or paste - what were they thinking????

3. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I personally dislike autosave, and don't think anyone should rely on it, but I suppose it really ought to be an option.

5. henry.oswald thread starter macrumors member

don't be pathetic, auto-save is a standard feature when i spend good money on a word processor i expect it to be advance enough back it up. word has had it for what seem like a decade!

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It's a Word feature, which is not the same as it being a "standard" feature.

7. henry.oswald thread starter macrumors member

word is the de facto standard for the word processing market. if you are going to compete with word you must implement what consumers see as standard features.

If you talk to the average person they say open up word, they expect word count, auto save, spell check. standard stuff.

a bit off apple's not invented here maybe?

8. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

I agree it should be a feature, but it should never be relied upon heavily. Save your work once and while and you won't have issues

9. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Perhaps Microsoft has a patent on autosave and Apple didn't want to pay royalties ? :confused:

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I don't agree. Word is product, not a standard. Apple doesn't need to imitate every feature of Word in order to compete with it.

I doubt it. AppleWorks had an autosave feature. In fact it was AppleWorks' implementation of autosave that turned me off on the feature.

11. mr.light macrumors 6502

It should be a feature

As I was sitting here reminding my daughter to save her school project in Pages every 10 minutes or so ( we are experiencing nasty freezing rain at the moment and the possibility of a power failure is almost always there) When she asked if it auto saves. I thought it would surely be an option in the preferences. To my total surprise it was not. It should at least be an option in case of emergency. I agree though that one should not depend on it. But, as they say, "stuff" happens and it would be nice to have that little bit of insurance just in case.

12. f1 macrumors 6502

13. brsboarder macrumors 6502a

good old reliable mac programs that never crash right?

14. henry.oswald thread starter macrumors member

i'm always amazed at how defensive everyone is on this forum, seems at times apple can do no wrong at all.

15. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Text edit has autosave...

16. MAcNIAC macrumors regular

ARGGGGGHHHHHH FU#@%%@ING APPLE
    just lost me 2 hours work on pages
    who the F@#$ builds a word processor with no autosave?
    All the glitz of pages is worth very little to me at the moment - just give me a freaking autosave function - i believe word 6 had this in the early 90's
    WTF:mad::apple:

17. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Why didn't you save?

18. Sijmen macrumors 6502a

While I see why people miss the feature, I'm also wondering why they just don't save regularly. It's as easy as hitting Command + S.

19. MAcNIAC macrumors regular

sometimes i forget to save regularly ... i mean who manually saves every 5 minutes - honestly? i reckon i remember every few hours at best when i'm concentrating on my work.

pages crashed --> i lost my work --> i'm not happy

any decent word processor should have an autosave function.
    what possible reason could justify NOT including one?
    hell it's pages 3.0.2 not pages 0.0.1

-----
    OK vent over.
    does anyone know of an elegant 3rd party solution to this appalling lack of functionality? (OK so it's rant almost over)

20. MAcNIAC macrumors regular

or clicking file - then - save
    easy ... yes, i know but ...

people make mistakes - it's a fundamental part of being merely human.

the idea is to put systems in place that allow for this and minimise their impact!

I can't believe that the company that brings us timemachine brings us a word processor without autosave. afterall - why not just drag your files to an external disc yourself to back them up?

21. messedkid macrumors 6502

messedkid

There is a big difference of saving every 5 minutes, and not saving for 2 hours (you said you lost 2 hours of work).

Ok..I agree that every word processing program should include an auto-save function for the "inbetween saves" save. But if you do not save on your own...it's your own fault.

22. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I disabled MS word's autosave feature years ago. I imagine they've improved it since then but I couldn't stand having six million different versions of each document.

Seems like a pretty simple feature that would make a lot of people happy.

23. MAcNIAC macrumors regular

yep there's a big difference - 5 minutes is the maximum amount of work i'd have lost if i'd been using word.

and yes i should have hit apple-S - thanks. i hope you find that advice helpful yourself sometime.

oh and - wordmunger - i'm pretty sure word just saves over and over the same (current filename) - so you dont get 6 million different versions - i'm not sure though, i've only ever gone back to the most recent one.

bottom line - it's ridiculous that this feature is still not in Pages. it's indefensible. yes i'm an idiot for not saving, but lets face it, we're all idiots at times, and apple's job in this case is to make that as painless as possible. just like they have done with timemachine - which is AWESOME

24. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

im sure hitting

Apple+S

isnt to hard,

And if anything OP you are getting defensive about this, need to calm down and go to your browser history and find the damn links in there, not to hard really, and it isn't a set standard just because word has it, you need to learn some stuff

25. MAcNIAC macrumors regular

huh?
    apple+S is very easy - remembering to do it regularly - not so much.

the OP started this thread in Nov last year - i doubt he's reading

if you're saying i'm getting defensive - you are mistaken - i take full responsibility for failing to save my data. it'd be nice though if apple programmed "pages" as well as microsoft did with Word as far back as the early 90's with an autosave feature - that would save me (and no doubt others) from myself

browser history - links - what?
    learn some stuff? good god man - what are you talking about?