Pages typing fell off problem help! Please

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by golf1410, Jul 22, 2012.

1. golf1410 macrumors 6502a

golf1410

Last night, I came across one problem on Pages application. It was very weird. I was typing my assignment for the first page. When it was about to get to the 2nd page, all my exceeded typing of the first page did not go on to the 2nd page. It fell off at the first page. I thought I lost those words. So I copied all texts and pasted on Text editor. They were there. They just fell off and not continue to second page. Blinking cursor was gone (I guess it was fell off too) Only thumbnail on the left showed those words were there on the second page. Have you experienced this? How to fix it?

2. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

Sounds like you were using a page layout document or text boxes in a word processing document. Only text entered in the main layer of a Pages word processing document will create, & continue to, a new page.

3. golf1410 thread starter macrumors 6502a

golf1410

Would you please state this step by step what you are talking about? So I can follow and try it out what I did wrong. Thank you very much for your reply.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Do you have a picture of this?

5. golf1410 thread starter macrumors 6502a

golf1410

No I don't have it. Basically, texts fell off at the end of first page. It didn't continue to second page. Blinking cursor was gone too. Somehow, i played around with viewing option, I could see 2 text boxes showed up at the first page. First one was one line text box. Second one was a big text box for the whole first page. I didn't see any text box on second page at all.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

This seems like a serious glitch. (As obvious as this sounds)

7. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Don't type in text boxes. Those are if you want to do some custom formatting for a page, and if you know what you're doing.

8. golf1410 thread starter macrumors 6502a

golf1410

I had to. Layout was locked. First one line text box, I assume it was something when you want page number or name of report like in Microsoft word. Second big box was actually the text all goes. The strange is copying and pasting everything in text editor. Everything that fell off was there.

9. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

So you were typing in the header and not the actual body of the document.

That's not strange at all. Just because you can't see the text doesn't mean it isn't there. The box you were typing in was set up with a fixed height and then to not display any text overflow. You'd probably notice a little square with a plus sign in it at the bottom of that box if you filled it up again. That means there's more text that Pages isn't displaying.

10. golf1410 thread starter macrumors 6502a

golf1410

I was trying in actual body text box. Header was left empty. Should it continue to 2nd page automatically? Like Microsoft word. Oh one thing notice, full screen view on the top right, it displayed the document stick on left side. Not in the middle as it should be.

11. fwhh macrumors regular

I think, if you talk of "actual body text box" you have selected a Pages Layout Document. Don't choose a "page layout" template in the "File->New" dialogue, select a "word processing" template instead. Even if you select "Empty Layout", the results will be different.
    If you have to use a page layout template, you have to connect the textboxes between the pages, there is a small blue symbol on the lower right corner of the box to do so.

(I'm using a german version, so maybe there are slightly different names in your version)

12. golf1410, Jul 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2012

golf1410 thread starter macrumors 6502a

golf1410

Guys, I have screenshots now. Please have a look. It is very very wried. I did uninstalled and reinstall Pages. The problem came back. o_O

Attached Files:

13. golf1410 thread starter macrumors 6502a

golf1410

Guys, what I have found out on my Pages App is very strange. If you know how to fix this, I will definitely tired it out. Fresh clean install doesn't help at all.

----------

I have tired that. It went straight through steps like you said. It turned out the same result.

----------

I do have screenshots now. Please help me out. I can't use it.

14. golf1410 thread starter macrumors 6502a

golf1410

15. wordsworth macrumors regular

When you launch Pages, do you see Template Chooser? If so, select Blank in Word Processing (and not Blank in Page Layout). Retrieve the text you have been working on previously, and paste it into the now newly launched blank template page. (I assume you still have a copy of your text somewhere on your hard drive.) Does it now spread across two or more pages of Pages?

If this is so and all the text is present, then perhaps you were working earlier in Page Layout, and your original problem of 'missing text' was perhaps your inability to use the Page Layout options fully to your advantage.

As an additional note, I seem to recall this anomaly or something similar occurring occasionally in AppleWorks in its Word Processor mode some years back. Not often but it did occur, and it was a real puzzler though I was always able to retrieve the 'missing' text and relaunch AppleWorks. I thought at the time that it was maybe a memory-related issue rather than a bug.

Good luck troubleshooting this, anyway.