Painful decision Dashlane or 1Password 4?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gusanitoverde, Jan 22, 2014.

1. gusanitoverde macrumors 6502

gusanitoverde

I have been a faithful 1Password user on Mac and iOS. I won't throw dirt on them They are a solid platform. Yet too pricey to upgrade to version 4. I am considering Dashlane. Anyone can recommend it? I am test driving it and I love both.

I have researched so much... I have resourced to my trusty MacRumors forum to ask...

Your advice is appreciated.

:)

2. Dowjohnny macrumors 6502

Dowjohnny

I'm stuck with the same decision!! Very interested in upcoming comments from other users!

So far i'm leaning a bit more towards dashlane for simple price reasons..

3. gusanitoverde thread starter macrumors 6502

gusanitoverde

So far I see that both apps do the same things.

Anyone can highlight the clear advantages on either or?

4. blue-fireball macrumors member

I prefer to have a license than a subscription, so that is a plus for 1PW4. Also, 1PW4 has a nicer-looking interface and I have used their apps without problems for years now. It is pricey, but it is the second app i install on any new computer I buy (right after dropbox) and is essential to my digital life, so well worth the $$

5. snarfquest macrumors regular

I use "AllPasswords" and have been pleased with it.

6. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I've been using both Dashlane and 1Password for about six months. Granted its a pain to use both but I'm trying very hard to figure out which to go with.

I really like the app key database that 1Password has and I think I like the browser integration a little better. On the other hand it's easier to edit the username with Dashlane when saving new logins.

1Password on the other hand is a bit more consistent across all browsers. On Firefox for example Dashlane plugin occasionally stops working, at which time I have to open the app and copy+paste the passwords. That's a pain in the ass sometimes.

If you held a gun to my head I think I would have to say 1Password though.

The only other issue I have, and this applies to both, the iOS versions don't sync the latest changes (when you edit a login) or new logins in a timely manner. I don't understand why this should happen, but it does.

Bottom line is I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

Cheers!!!

7. Bear macrumors G3

oneSafe syncing via iCloud is very timely. Now all oneSafe needs is to get the browser plugins out to customers.

8. gusanitoverde thread starter macrumors 6502

gusanitoverde

One feature that has me hooked about Dashlane...

I discovered today that they have a WebApp just like LastPass. You can deactivate remotely the Dashlane application and data from any computer or phone in your account. This is great if I wanted to use it at work.

9. takeshi74 macrumors 601

...and you can't decide based on that? Are they completely equal as far as you're concerned?

10. gusanitoverde thread starter macrumors 6502

gusanitoverde

I am loving Dashlane.

My findings have been after I entered this post. Yet, the only thing that was painful is to get someone to talk to me at Dashlane. I started by tweeting them, then FaceBook, then Google Plus. After doing some more posts finally someone talks to me.

I entered a support ticket that is only replied once a day it seems...

So, that was turning me off.

in contrast, Lastpass has a support that rocks, even with a fully developed ticketing system and 1Password found my tweet and was willing to work with me to stay.

Dashlane seemed to be nowhere to be found...

As of now I am still waiting for their reply to my last email.

11. dukefan71 macrumors newbie

Never used Dashlane, but I have yet to find customer support--on any app-- "better" than 1Password. Just my experience. I found the upgrade pricey too, but their support made the decision easier for me.

12. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Not having browser plugins makes it a no go though. Having to have to open the app every time you need a login makes too clunky and impractical. Otherwise I agree that it is a very nice app.

----------

Dashlane does have very good support. I had a couple issues a few questions and even feature requests. Each time I emailed them they got back to me within a day, usually less than 24 hours and sometimes the same day.

13. rasputin666 macrumors member

rasputin666

I haven't used it, i use 1password but if $$$ is an issue, what about iCloud keychain? that's what i would use if $$$ becomes a driver for me with password mgt.

14. TheMadCow macrumors newbie

TheMadCow

I agree that 1PW is a good app. It's not an insanely great $49 + $15 app though. I still use Wallet from Acrylic Software and probably will until it's not rev'd to support a future version of the IOS. The easy of use, GUI and security is what sold me. I'm still looking for a likely replacement. 1PW will probably be it, but I have issues with the interface clutter and the way things are presented.

15. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

So far iCloud has not been very consistent. To be honest it hardly ever asks me to save my logins when I'm on my rMBP. And same for my iPad. Sometimes it asks but a lot of time it doesn't. Plus it's a heck of a lot easier to edit or change your credentials in 1Password or Dashlane.

There's also the benefit of receiving warnings of website breaches and if you're using the same password in more than one place. iCloud needs more features but I doubt we're going to get them.

16. curmudgeon32 macrumors regular

Just curious: any reason to not consider LastPass? I've been using it for about 6 months now across three Macs and my iPhone and have been quite satisfied with its functionality.

I mean, it could be a bit slicker and better-designed, but at $12/year I'm not really complaining.

17. gusanitoverde thread starter macrumors 6502

gusanitoverde

I am going full blast with Dashlane.

For the price I was going to pay 1PWD, I will get 1 year of Dashlane premium.

Another thing is that if iCloud goes offline, 1Password would go with it. Dashlane and LastPass have their own sync services, which does not put all your eggs in one basket.

I was sold at the capability of turning off devices remotely. Also, not to make a commercial, but you get free premium if you have a friend move in to Dashlane.

I did try Lastpass. They are too messy. Confusing to configure. Not really intuitive, but their support ROCKS! They are serious about getting in touch with customers and have a very high class Support Ticket system.

1Password has been a great friend for a long time. I think they are solid and the ones that had the best feel out of all. I only left them because of the needed upgrade and the price that is uncomfortable for me at this time.

Dashlane has very slow support at this time. They take too long to answer. not very personal. Yet, I do not have an impression about them. So far they have what I need. I now have 6 months to test them and make up my mind.

Thank you all for replying.

18. thespazz macrumors 6502a

You can use Dropbox for 1Password...

19. adam9c1 macrumors 65816

adam9c1

I have 1password for win mac and iOS synced with Dropbox.

Having multiple keys would be nice however it's not essential for me so I'm staying with what I have.

20. gusanitoverde thread starter macrumors 6502

gusanitoverde

Tested Dashlane. Returning to 1Password.

I tested Dashlane to see if I liked it.

It is a great application, but I felt it sort of intrusive. For one, the sync over their servers already gave me an insecure feeling over not knowing where my data is. Yet, our society is moving that way and that is a different conversation.

The feel of the app is great, yet wanted to log me automatically everywhere I went. However, Dashlane would fail to log me in on some websites, and in other like this one, it would log me in automatically every single time I would open the page.

With 1Password, the process was more "manual" but felt less intrusive.
    I see that Dashlane has changed prices for their premium service and now it is about $30 a year.
    1Password, I own it.

I have had a great interaction with 1Password's support. Dashlane was less than fast to reply. Not as personal as 1 Password.

Features are amazing on both.

Value, GUI, Feel and support... Even tough is more simplistic, sometimes is better.

Yup. 1Password wins for me.

21. Larsonator macrumors newbie

I used Dashlane for a year until last week when I tried 1PW. Dashlane was fine but everyone rants and raves about 1PW so I figured I'd download the trial.

The 1PW interface is a little smoother and user friendly. I feel like the devs are Mac users that are used to the fluidity and nature of OS X. The small details I like with Apple products are seen more in 1PW than Dashlane.

I'll probably bite the bullet and pay the premium since I'll prefer not to downgrade back to Dashlane.

22. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

I had a bad expieriance with Dashlane, was wondering if someone could tell me tbe ke differences between the two, also do i have to buy the app and desktop version to access my passwords in both places?

23. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

What was your "bad" experience?

I have and use both, I like both. I'm on the fence on which I think is better. Both have their ups and downs.

What I like about Dashlane is its app for OSX, Windows and iOS, all which I use daily and the seemless syncing between devices. What I hate, subscription based payment method.

24. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

I had all my passwords in Dashlane and was loving the app for about a month, then out of the blue my password just stopped working on my device. I did not forget it, it is a common one which was easy for me to remember. Also my password did allow me to log in though their website (which did me no good since you can't access your passwords that way anyway) but it did show me that my master password worked.

Anyway I went round and round with customer support (which was really only one email a day as they are PAINFULLY slow with their replys) generic answer after generic answer finally I had enough and said screw it and took the loss of loosing all my passwords and uninstalling the app. After doing some research on this topic I know a few other people have has very similar situations to mine and their support has just been garbage for them too. It is a weird glitch on their end that happens apparently to a very selected few people, I was just one of the unlucky ones :(