Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
I had all my passwords in Dashlane and was loving the app for about a month, then out of the blue my password just stopped working on my device. I did not forget it, it is a common one which was easy for me to remember. Also my password did allow me to log in though their website (which did me no good since you can't access your passwords that way anyway) but it did show me that my master password worked.

Anyway I went round and round with customer support (which was really only one email a day as they are PAINFULLY slow with their replys) generic answer after generic answer finally I had enough and said screw it and took the loss of loosing all my passwords and uninstalling the app. After doing some research on this topic I know a few other people have has very similar situations to mine and their support has just been garbage for them too. It is a weird glitch on their end that happens apparently to a very selected few people, I was just one of the unlucky ones :(

Yea, that is a bad experience. Would leave my mouth sour for sure. Sorry. I haven't had that issues and really like Dashlane, I also really like 1P. I currently have both installed on my Mac and iPhone but only Dashlane installed on my work PC.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
After spending time with 1P and Dashlane, I like Dashlane better. I believe its an overall better experience for two reasons.

1. Autologins
  2. Multiple Platforms (1P for Windows is TRASH) Dashlane for Windows is as good as its Mac version.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
After spending time with 1P and Dashlane, I like Dashlane better. I believe its an overall better experience for two reasons.

1. Autologins
  2. Multiple Platforms (1P for Windows is TRASH) Dashlane for Windows is as good as its Mac version.

1Password has autologins and the Windows version - which I am beta testing - is in the process of being totally revamped...

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
1Password has autologins and the Windows version - which I am beta testing - is in the process of being totally revamped...

The fact I have to buy 1P on 3 different platforms is a deterring factor as well. Dashlane it works the same on each platform seemlessly and it doesn't cost.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan

1. Autologins
I've had no problems with 1Password for Windows. I'm not sure what your problems are but "trash" seems a bit harsh.

The fact I have to buy 1P on 3 different platforms is a deterring factor as well. Dashlane it works the same on each platform seemlessly and it doesn't cost.

It costs if you want to actually sync between devices and, unlike 1Password, it's a a subscription service (as you mentioned yourself earlier) meaning you have to keep paying over and over, again and again, year after year.

No thanks. 1Password was worth every penny I've paid for it and then some. It would be very hard for me to get by without it.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
1 Password for Mac and iOS is great. 1 Password for Windows is TRASH when compared to Dashlane for Windows.

Yea the yearly subscription is dumb and I hate subscription payment models. I also having to pay for 1P for OS X, Windows and iOS. I could see OS X and Windows with a free iOS app, but charging for all 3 would cost roughly 3 years of Dashlane Premium without the seamless integration Dashlane has over 1P.

Don't get me wrong, both products are good, both have their ups and downs. If I just had a Mac and iPhone, I would take 1P, but being I use a Mac for personal/home/travel and then Windows/PC at work, then an iPhone, Dashlane is superior to 1P for my needs than 1P.

I love 1P, but their Windows version right now is TRASH compared to Dashlane. Sure its NOT trash compared to something like LastPas, KeePass, etc.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Here is a good review with accurate pros and cons IMO. I love 1P on Mac/OS X but on Windows I just EH OH ELL.

http://ivanvari.com/dashlane-vs-1password/

Dashlane vs 1Password

I didn’t want to go into detail and compare the core or advanced features of these apps, you can find elsewhere. My goal was to find something more convenient and easier to use than KeePass but keeping the balance between security, functionality and convenience.

It was also important to me how “trusted” the vendor is, what kind of reputation they may have and how easy it is to get my data, should they disappear from the market.

This is purely my gut feeling / opinion and based on my quick and dirty trial based on versions available at this time of writing. I looked at how they compare to my current software KeePass regarding functionality, security, design, look / feel and above all, how easy the transition would be.

Dashlane pros:

offline or online: you only have to be online while register an account, it does not affect working with an already created local database if you choose not to pay or turn off cloud sync
secure: 2 factor authentication supported
clean interface: identical look / feel on both Windows and OSX
security and authorisation: even if you just want to create a brand new local valet (without cloud sync) on a “new” device, it needs to be “approved” with an online code sent to the registered email. Dashlane essentially tracks the devices associated with an account regardless you sync to the cloud or not.
browser integration: seamless plugin install and integration during setup
auto login: no need to click (most websites) on submit button ever again. If you happen to have multiple accounts for a single site you will have an “drop down” list to select from.
export: csv and its own encrypted .dash format
cost: subscription based, annual fee then you can sync your valet to unlimited number of devices including mobile
support: good although over email a bit slow
security dashboard: gives you warnings about reused passwords, compromised accounts, etc.
Dashlane cons:

icon view: I hated it, I don’t need a thumbnail to identify an account, no detailed “list like” view. To see any details about any accounts I had to click on them individually
no copy item: I had fill new entry for few similar items even if 2 fields changed only
the interface: designed for web accounts only, not so useful for example PIN numbers where there is no username, it simply won’t save without username field filled.
import mismatch: The account name and access URLs are really important for autofill, although I had some websites in the valet after import, on visit I got the popup offering account creation which indicated failed match against my valet stored entry.
idle lock only: no option to lock on screen lock, etc. although it’s not so much of a concern for an average user
import: KeePass import is Windows only, although works sort of well
no virtual keyboard: just some extra protection against key-loggers although not so much of a concern
main window: over-engineered, password “categories” does not help to organise accounts. Over 100+ accounts this view becomes overwhelming and confusing
apache authentication: incapable of filling / recognising apache like authentication popups
security: I didn’t like the idea of having the ability to log into their website and browse my password valet (paid only)
logo: I just cannot personally associate “antiloop” with password management
1Password pros:

offline or online: no built in cloud sync option, Google Drive, iCloud, Dropbox, WiFi or just local valet, it’s your choice
design: love the application on OSX, similar to KeePass, easy to see details, password strength, etc. in a “detailed like” list view
main window: collapsible folder options, excellent organisation and tags, really nice looking interface
import: KeePass import allows “field” selection from the CSV export to mach 1Password fields which comes handy for complex entries
security: openly published security design
trusted: stable software from vendor with good reputation
support: great support and community forums
export: csv, text or its own .pif format
shared vault: could be very handy between family members
security audit: reports weak passwords, old or duplicated entries, etc.
1Password cons:

overpriced: no subscription and copies need to be purchased for multiple devices, mobile is also extra
Windows version: may be identical functionality wise but looks / feels totally different to OSX. Ugly, clumsy and suggest very early development.
browser plugins: install is not part of the setup, needs to be done manually for each browser from various sources and it’s convoluted / confusing especially on Windows
no auto login: no auto field population either, even a simple browser does that. I don’t know why I have to hit “CMD+\” key combination to be able to populate fields and log in automatically.
no virtual keyboard: just some extra protection against key-loggers although not so much of a concern
no 2 factor authentication: and it’s not even planned
browser plugins based on “websockets”: and it can break things or requires specific settings on some platforms , Windows especially
apache authentication: incapable of filling / recognising apache like authentication popups
Verdict

No clear winner for me, decided to keep using KeePass until something better comes along. The big shock for me was the apache server authentication, neither of them could handle those popups so I was left with “cut n’ paste” or “save in the browser”, which was a big deal as I have a lot of those.

I liked Dashlane (2.4.1) but it needs refinement, something that 1Password (4.4.1) has on OSX but it is very pricey and I don’t think it’s justified compared to some of the missing features/ annoying bits. I also need at least Windows and OSX support, which is done well from Dashlane but 1Password is very much beta on Windows and I am not even sure, on what grounds they can charge money for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.