Paint rubbed OFF my iP4!?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iBryton, Dec 30, 2010.

1. iBryton, Dec 30, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2011

iBryton macrumors regular

As of 1/2/2011, I've been noticing in the corners that there are more "little spots" in every corner. Couple of the spots are showing that "chrome" look to it.

IF it is not chrome, its very black/shiny or some of the spots seem lighter than the finish.

PLEASE do not think I am totally having a mental issue toward this problem. The reason my subject title is like that to get your attention

ORIGINAL POST

Alright, so I was taking off my case today to clean up my phone. I noticed near the corners that the "silver" paint that goes around the phone, I found a little bit of that silver paint, but it looked like the paint rubbed off that it was chrome. In every corner I see a little bit of that silver removed and it looks like chrome.

[​IMG]

Ignore that big white spot, that is the flash. The place is that little black spot next to the white spot.

What should I do?

2. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I don't think the aluminum sides are painted. Looks like a nick or scratch.

My advice to you: Don't sweat it.

3. iBryton thread starter macrumors regular

Didn't people say that they coated it again? If I scratched the device, how is the aluminum thing turning chrome?

4. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

The band is made of stainless steel. It's most likely just scratched so it lost some of the finish.

5. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

Certain metals can be finished in a high-polish, and in that case, will look like chrome. Perhaps your case was rubbing the corners and this is what happened.

6. Infraggable Kru macrumors regular

what happens is small pieces of dirt/lint/etc get trapped in the case. these particles act like fine sandpaper and polish the matte aluminum into a polished aluminum

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

8. Max. macrumors member

Max.

That can cost around the $800 mark, I'd say it's fair for him to be a little frustrated.

9. Infraggable Kru, Dec 30, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2010

Infraggable Kru macrumors regular

Apple never said the aluminum would remain perfect for life. Things that are used show signs of usage, no big deal get over it.

My $2000 laptop has a shiny spot on the palm rest/touch pad
    My BBS LM rims wrapped in $1200 Tires wear down when I drive

Worrying about a tiny mark on a $699 PHONE is like worrying about a string showing on a fine suit. Yeah it sucks, but only people who can't afford to replace it or have OCD would let it ruin their day

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

And my $30,000 car has quite a few nicks and dings in it too. Are we doing math here? Should I be 37.5 times as annoyed by that?

No, because I understand that physical objects will show signs of use after time has passed. Same thing with iPhones.

11. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

12. iBryton thread starter macrumors regular

Everybody do me a favor and take off your case and tell me what you see in the corners of your phones..

I'm not frustrated, it has just never happened to any of my iPhones..

13. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

It happens to all of them. The case and grit under it polishes the metal. There is no fix. Put the case back on. :p

In 6 months we'll all be getting the iPhone 5 anyway............

14. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

My case is a PITA to take off but I known have some hairline scratched from using it naked and scratches on the chrome.

15. mad-dog-one macrumors 6502

Now that you have your first dings, you can relax. The next ones, that are certain to follow, shouldn't hurt quite as much.

16. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

Just to clarify a little here, as Shakeman0 already pointed out the metal "band" around the iPhone 4 is the exposed chassis of the phone, and it's made of stainless steel that has a brushed finish. There is no aluminum or chrome, and there's no paint or other coating. If a piece of grit under your case frets (rubs) on the stainless steel it can abrade or polish the brushed finish, making it look different. You might be able to use some fine sandpaper or emery paper, probably 400 grit or so, and rub it in the direction of the original finish to remove the mark, but my guess is you'd just end up with a bigger area with that's noticeably different from the original brushed texture.

17. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

+1

It's amazing how many people think it's aluminum.

18. nicksmolenski macrumors regular

nicksmolenski

Put the case back on - that way you don't have to see it :)

Quick question though - what case do you use that gave you that mark?

19. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I don't know what case he used but I can say that the bumper causes that pretty badly. I've had my case on since September and mine is all marked up.

20. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

You leave a case on so you don't SEE stuff like this, so No.

21. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I was actually referring to my iPhone, which is a 3GS :D
    My point was that "it's just a phone" and it will show wear and tear.

22. milamber macrumors regular

23. CZK macrumors 6502a

There is no ''paint'' on your iphone 4 metal band. Its stainless steel that has been sandblasted.

/topic

24. Infraggable Kru macrumors regular

Sorry I meant stainless steel

But you are wrong about the sandpaper

Apple uses a Media Blasted Finish

[​IMG]

Not a brushed finish

[​IMG]

Sanding could cause the finish to get shinier, but more than likely it will just look like you sanded the area in one direction = bad idea

25. Savor Suspended

Savor

If it is still new, I can understand some of the OCD and frustrations with it in the beginning because you probably are still in the honeymoon phase. But over time when we buy a shinier, newer toy, we will get over any flaws over time. Nothing really stays perfect, man. Not from real world abuse. Heck, I noticed how the connector can get scratched up too. Oh well. Just enjoy it anyway. Think of them as battle scars.