Pair of PC and Mac Edition Radeon 9600s

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bunnspecial, Jan 27, 2015.

1. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I'm not sure how this one slipped under the radar, but I was extremely happy to win it for the price I did

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-2-AT...4848191317736&_qi=RTM1963929&autorefresh=true

Now that I have the DVI-ADC adapter, I'm thinking one of these is likely to go in my Quicksilver to replace the hacked G5 9600 I'm currently using. These have twice the VRAM of the G5 9600.

In any case, I'm extremely happy with the purchase for the price(although admittedly they're far from being in my hands).

2. harrymatic macrumors 6502

I used to run one of these cards in my G4 a while ago - if you fit little heatsinks to the RAM chips on the card it overlocks very nicely with ATIcellerator. I recall being able to up both the GPU core and the memory by about 20% with no problems. With 256MB memory it drives multiple large displays really well.

3. ptdebate macrumors 6502

ptdebate

:eek:

Awesome deal! I'm green with envy :mad: er....red.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You seem to really like the 9600s! :D

Nice score though! The shipping alone was double what you paid!

5. catzilla macrumors 6502

catzilla

I was watching that! I had to out to shovel and I forgot about it!

6. desantii macrumors 6502

desantii

7. bunnspecial, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2015

bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

The 9600s are great cards, and(usually) the cheapest and easiest way to get core image on a G4. Of course, if I can get the ATI Fire Xl3 working, it will blow the 9600 out of the water.

I have no doubt that the 9700 and 9800 are better cards, but they're also not as easy to find. The G5 version of the 9600 is super easy to find and relatively inexpensive. I was ecstatic to get the two 9600 Pros for about $15 each with shipping(that's about half what I've paid for G5 9600XTs).

My new "super" Quicksilver will either have one of these cards or the Xl3-I'll have to make up my mind(the XL3 is clearly the better card), and of course that's contingent on actually getting the Xl3 working. Having a direct "drop in" card really appeals to me, though.

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I agree. This is why I was glad to find a 9200 auction solely for a Mac card.

9. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

How does the ATI Radeon 9600S compare to the Nvidia Geforce 9400M or 9600M GT? What does "9600S" mean?

10. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

No comparison.

The 9000 series ATI cards are roughly 2002-2005 technology. GeForce cards that competed with the various Radeon 9000 cards were in the "4" series(at the low end) and the 5 series at the higher end. With that said, I think that the 9600, and certainly the 9700 and 9800 are a big step above any 5000 series GEForce card made for the Mac. On the other hand, I'm not about to trade the Geforce 6800 Ultra in one of my G5s for any ATi card except maybe an X850. The 9 series GE Force GPUs came out around 2008, well past the PPC era.

The 9 series GEForce GPUs are much better just thanks to the progression of technology, but there's no way we can get them in a PowerPC Mac(at least that I know of)...so with that in mind they are irrelevant to this discussion.

11. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The GeForce 4 series cards matched up with the ATI 9000/9200 cards. The GeForce 5200 matched up with the ATI 9550 and 9600, with the ATI cards being more powerful. The ATI 9800 doesn't really have a Mac equivalent.

12. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I thought there was a Mac retail version of the 9800. Is it not equivalent to the PC version?

13. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I'm comparing Mac cards, there is both a Mac and flashed PC ATI 9800 card.

14. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Hence my confusion at your earlier statement

Did you mean to say that there's no nVidia/GEForce equivalent?

15. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The ATI 9800 doesn't have a Mac Nvidia equivalent.

16. bunnspecial, Jan 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2015

bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I'm happy to report that the cards arrived today.

After buying them, I was second guessing myself since I've read mixed reports about whether or not they would work in Quicksilvers(apparently some folks reported on the internet that some cards would work and some wouldn't). There were no issues with MDDs-just the Quicksilver.

So, on that note, I unboxed one of them and put it in my Digital Audio(close enough to a Quicksilver for most of this sort of testing). It immediately booted to a grey screen and a flashing question mark folder...I then remembered that I had disconnected the hard drive a couple of days ago for some other testing with a couple of hard drives, and had forgotten to reconnect it :rolleyes:

In any case, I hooked the hard drive back up, and booted the computer back up to a blank screen. I stuck a PCI Rage 128 in the computer(I keep one by it because of the nature and amount of experimenting that I do with it) and booted it. Much like eyeyougren and I have been finding with the Fire Gl3, the card didn't even register in the AGP slot. Since it had worked briefly, though, I knew there was some hope.

One of the suggestions I'd found was to clean the contacts on the card thoroughly, so I grabbed a pencil eraser and went to town. After that, I wiped them down with denatured alcohol. I inserted and removed the card 10 times(another common suggestion) and held my breath while I hit the power button on the computer.

I immediately got a gray screen, and the computer booted right into Tiger. Unfortunately, however, it was not in color. The screen was very hard to read, but I managed to navigate into the display pane in system preferences and was not able to get any color settings.

I went ahead and ran the driver CD that came with the card(even though I would have expected 10.4.11 to have 9600 drivers). Upon reboot, I had full resolution with millions of colors.

Most reports indicate that this card is actually inferior to the 9600XT that I've been using in my Quicksilver for a month or so now. Apparently when ATI adopted the "Pro" designation and doubled the VRAM, they did so at the cost of some other aspects of performance. Back in the day, when both cards were available side by side, the XT was actually more expensive.

Most of the benchmarks I've seen, however, look at them in an 8x AGP system. I'm going to install the card in my Quicksilver this weekend and run some benchmarks on both this and the XT.

On another note, a gun that I bought(new) back in November needs to go back to the factory for some service work. Ruger(the manufacturer) sent me a prepaid overnight Fed-Ex shipping label, and instructed me to package the gun securely in a plain, brown, unmarked box and drop it off at a hub. As it so happened, the box that the two video cards came in was the perfect size pack up the gun, and had no markings on it. That was perfect timing(I wish I could say the same about the gun :rolleyes: ), and I'm set to return my gun tomorrow.

17. ptdebate macrumors 6502

ptdebate

I'm very excited to hear how the benchmarks turn out. I was under the faulty impression that because the Pro has more ram, it must be a better card. the 8x AGP vs 4x AGP contingency is another thing I hadn't thought of (what does this difference mean in practice anyway?)

18. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

You've been on a G4 binge lately Ben!

Anyway, congrats on the cards, I'm jealous :)

19. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I think I've been on a G4 binge since I bought my first one last summer :)

(The 15 I bought back in December didn't hurt any, either).

I need to sit down and count up how many 7400-series processors I have laying around, both in computers and in parts boxes. I'm not sure if I want to know the number :)

20. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Have any G4s that I can shoehorn into my 466MHz Digital Audio? I need to make it a bit faster after selling that 1GHz QS :D

21. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Maybe :)

I might come up with a QS processor of some sort or another...I've got another system to part out(missing the PSU and a bunch of other key parts) that I need to see what is actually in it...if anything it's probably a 733 but at least that would be better.

QS processors will work in a DA as long as you solder a +12V drop onto one the mounting screw holes...QS logic boards have an extra +12V on that screw post that the DAs and earlier lack.

22. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

In ascending order of performance 9600 -> 9600 Pro -> 9600XT

The only difference between models is the clock speeds. If memory serves the Pro ran higher core and memory speeds for around 25% better performance than the standard version. The XT came later on a better silicon process with a further increased core clock over the Pro. They'd used the Pro moniker already so had to make up a new one.

ATI had also hit a memory speed ceiling by this point - in fact a lot of 9700/9800 cards in PCs developed artifacting issues due to memory faults after a couple of years. I've still got one in a cupboard somewhere that only works with the RAM downclocked to non-pro speeds.

23. Surrat macrumors 6502

Surrat

The 9600 pc/mac edition will not work correctly until you install the ATI driver 4.5.7 package. Then it will work and the video artifacting will stop.

24. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

What I had was a little beyond artifacting...it was essentially unuseable.

Fortunately, I could navigate well enough to install drivers...and I know from now on to install the driver before the card(a lesson that I should have learned a long time ago, although Macs tend to break you of searching for drivers).

25. LightBulbFun macrumors 6502a

LightBulbFun

I take what you got Before you install the drivers is what i have pictured bellow? as thats caused by the Lack of a NDRV to take proper controll of the card (reduced rom PC flashed cards like the fireGL X3 have the same issue as to reduce the rom the NDRV gets removed from the ROM and the Driver update installs a NDRV on the HDD) now when ATI made the PC and Mac edition card to fit Both ROMs onto the ROM chip they had to Remove the NDRV From the Mac side And move it to the ATI drivers so before you install those you will get the artifacting as pictured.

Attached Files: