pair of western digital 3tb hdds arrived test results!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by philipma1957, Dec 16, 2010.

1. philipma1957, Dec 16, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2010

philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

Ups just dropped them off model number wd30ezrs.

born on dates of nov 8th 2010

I will test them with about 10 enclosures over the next week or so. first enclosure is the thermaltake low cost piece at this link

http://www.thermaltakestore.com/st00014.html i purchased a few of these hoping to use them as low cost time machine units

fast tests results so far are this :

esata from the thermaltake to a seritek pci e card drive was not recognized .

esata from the thermal to a jbmicron pci e card drive was not recognized .

third test thermal take usb jack to mac pro top front usb jack work!

drive was seen and i was able to partition it. now the partition can not be bigger then 2.1tb.

so I partitoned the drive in 1.5tb parts 2 of them.

well you say this is no big deal.

my next test is to put this partitoned drive into my rosewill 8 bay unit if it works it means an 8 bay unit can store 24tb! even if it is all jbod who cares. going to make a separate post for the rosewill tests. mods i did it for ease of reading

2. philipma1957, Dec 16, 2010

philipma1957 thread starter macrumors 603

philipma1957

results with rosewill 8 bay and seritek card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...6&cm_re=rosewill_8_bay-_-16-132-016-_-Product

the case above with the card below

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Firmtek/SATA2ME4E/

will see the unpartitioned drive as 3 tb. it will let you partition in 1.5tb partitions for mac. (We don't need no stinking windows or is that badges) some aja scores. basically 120 on the outside partitions and 102 on the inside partions. next up a raid0 of the outside partitions.

I will also see if you can make a partition of more then 2.1tb on a single drive. I must say I am encourage with results so far.

I tested a raid0 with the outer partitions. aja was 235 write 242 read

i tested the inside partitions in a raid0 aja was 199 write 198 read makes sense to get these numbers the unraided outside partitions add up to about 245 so 235-242 for raid is logical. the inside not raided add to 202 sot 198-199 for the raid0 makes sense. well as far as rosewill 8 bay and seritek 24tb piece looks doable. quite a feat the inside of the pro can have 12tb and a ssd so 36tb in 2 pieces amazing.

Attached Files:

3. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

Thanks.

Is that Roswell PS/fans as loud as some of the reviews indicate?

JohnG

4. philipma1957, Dec 16, 2010

philipma1957

raid0 with 2 3tb partitions

yes the fans are crazy loud. I will post my build of a quiet rosewill next week. well it will be the sans digital at this link, they are clones of each other.

http://store.sansdigital-shop.com/totr8baysato9.html

i have this sans digital on order with a rocketraid 2314 card. the fans/foam for the mod are

http://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-2...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1292524682&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000S95RWE/ref=oss_product

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00276D13I/ref=oss_product

this should be dead quiet like the 2 rosewills I modded the difference is the sans digital is silver. by the end of next week I should have 2 modded rosewills and 1 modded sans digital. more then I will need for years to come. hint

the news gets better. i tested if the rosewill and the seritek card will allow a full 3tb hdd 1 partition they do. I erased the raid0 setups and partitioned each hdd as 1 3tb partition was able to do so as mac osx format. notice one hdd seems faster. i think it is the rosewill not the hdd. the rosewill has 2 esata jacks 1 for 4 hdds the other for the other 4 hdds. one jack is faster then the other. one last test a raid0 should give me about 240- 242

yep it did about 241 and 242. well I want to get the rocket raid card next week to do more tests and i want to test more pieces. but 3tb is easy and will work with esata cards at least seritek for sure as tested by me today.

Attached Files:

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

philipma1957:

Keep in mind that the cards you're trying out are BIOS based, so they won't be able to use the disk as a single partition using the full capacity.

This should be possible using the ICH on the systrem, as it's EFI (the one useful benefit to EFI/UEFI right now, as you can get past the 2.1TB limit in BIOS).

The non-RAID HBA's by ATTO, or the RAID cards by Areca and ATTO should be able to use a single partition using all the available capacity once they've been flashed to EFI (single disk operation = Pass Through mode). There's also the eSATA for Mac from Highpoint that's EFI based as well.

Just a couple of points that could prove useful. ;)

I wish you luck on this, and please keep us updated as to the results (cheap storage that actually works is always of interest). :D

6. philipma1957 thread starter macrumors 603

philipma1957

well to run the 3tb with the 3tb in a single 6tb raid0 even though i am using the seritek card i am using the ich controller and the raid0 is a osx disk utility software. my second pair was also delivered today and i have 4 of them each with a single partition of 3tb then raid0 via the pros software raid. aja four 4 in raid0 is about 360 r 375 w this is with 2 of the hdds in the bottom half of the rosewill on 1 esata jack and 2 of the hdds on the top half gf the rosewill on the top esata jack. they are a little bit slower then the 1.5tb caviar blacks I have but 12 tb in 4 drives with 4 empty drives is really nice. the highpoint 2314 and the silver sans digital come next week.. I am going to show how to sound proof it and set it up. the sale on the sans digital was nice 205 for the unit and 100 for the highpoint card 299 after another promo the fans and foam are 50 bucks so 350 for a dead quiet unit that can hold 24tb at speeds of 380mb/s is my goal. seems like i can do it. as you say it may not boot if i make 1 24tb hdd but i don't have to.

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

I feel like I need a secret decoder ring to read all of this ... :eek: :D :p

8. philipma1957, Dec 16, 2010

philipma1957

here is a shot of all eight drives in the 8 bay rosewill.

four 3tb western digitals 12tb
    two 2tb western digitals 4tb
    two 2tb hitachi 4tb

total of 20tb with one eight bay unit and the seritek pci e card

cost for this unit was about 225 plus 100 for a used seritek card and 60 in mods fans/foam all together 385.

It allows 8 hdds up to 24tb although I only have 20tb in mine. this is not bootable. this runs off osx raid0 software. .

shows all 8bays in the rosewill shows the 4bays in the pro

26tb total in the two machines

next week the sans digital and the rocket raid card

Attached Files: