Palm Pimp vs iPhone 3GS flowchart.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Palm Pimp, Jun 19, 2009.

1. sd2009 macrumors 6502

2. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

3. ALittleDrive macrumors regular

wow, im normally a nice guy, but this has got to be the dorkiest, most pointless exercise of ridiculousness I've ever seen...the iphone is by far superior in any way the f-d palm bs can measure:cool::D:cool::eek:

4. slapppy macrumors 65816

Why did you post this? Hasn't the Palm Pee launch failure enough for you to give up?

5. DVNIEL macrumors 6502a

DVNIEL

Pfff, this is coming from people who joined in 2008. Most likely you guys became homo for Apple because of the iPhone. You guys are so ignorant to the potential of the Pre, it's like how everyone is bashing the Pre because the App store is handicapped with Apps..

Yuh... like the SDK was available the very first day the iPhone came out. Wow, an app that sends your blood pressure directly to your doctor. I work in the ICU, do you think a doctor will jump at the slightest decrease in blood pressure? You've got to be kidding me. I understand work, school and social life has every reason to be combined onto one device, but if you need your health and how straight you install shelves on your wall to depend on a cellphone, then you seriously need help... professional help, maybe they'll make an app for that.

See attached picture, and call me when the iPhone can do all of that (i.e - give inconspicuous e-mail notifications no matter what screen you are, multi-task, and change the background to your liking -- without having to jailbreak). I'm sure I'm a bigger Apple fan than you guys are, but even I am not ignorant to other technology. Get some insight you trolling douche-wads.

Attached Files:

6. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

Cool, when it reaches its potential I'll take another look at it.

In the meantime, when comparing iPhone 3GS to Pre: Switching tasks on the iPhone 3GS is actually as fast as or faster than switching tasks on the Pre. Copying and pasting is better on the iPhone. App choices are more abundant on the iPhone. Interacting with my phone without pulling down a keyboard every time I need to type a letter is only possible on the iPhone. Using the web in landscape and entering text is only available on the iPhone. Storages of 16GB and 32GB are only available on the iPhone.

Meanwhile you can change your background all you like, while you're staring at your launch screen, I'll be using an actual application.

The Pre has its merits, but don't run around acting like anyone who disagrees with you is an idiot. Head back on over to PreCentral.

7. DVNIEL macrumors 6502a

DVNIEL

Agreed the iPhone 3Gs has its strengths. I like the iPhone 3Gs, and I'm not saying anyone who disagrees with me is an idiot, but there is a difference between between being an idiot and being ignorant. All the reasons people are shooting down the Pre are just absolute FUD.

8. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

I like how the one thing they mention that the Pre has over the iPhone is multitasking. Like you can actually use more than one app at a time anyway. How's the battery life on your overheating, cracked screen ugly little chicken nugget of a phone? 100k sold in a week.. I'm impressed.. or not. Reach a million, then give me a call... wait, that's what Apple does in the first weekend. My bad.

9. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

Actually there are plenty of situations where you could use more than one application at a time.

If I'm getting turn-by-turn directions and I need my girlfriend to look up an address in a text message, it'd be nice if my navigation didn't stop. It'd be nice if the speed trap application I've been reading about could run in the background so it knew exactly where I was even when I'm on a phone call. I'd like to listen to streaming music or a streaming ball game while making my grocery list. I'd like it if when I got a call I didn't have to wait for the Flight Control to reload after I end that call, same if I reply to a quick text message.

Granted none of these are show-stoppers and I still prefer the iPhone. But, at the least the main iPhone applications (Phone, Messages, Mail) need to be able to run on top of 3rd party applications. Basically, anything that can interrupt what you're currently doing and take your attention momentarily should not close what you were doing while you attend to it.

That's all just my opinion. And to be honest, the Pre doesn't really have enough going on to make its multitasking paradigm seem any more efficient than the iPhone's...

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's pretty lame, and again the resident palm troll is trying to make waves.

I think the pre is a decent phone, and for some its a smart decision, but pound for pound, the iPhone has more to offer in hardware, OS and software.

Heck why would palm hack their phone to pretend its an ipod/iphone to allow connection with iTunes if they didn't think their phone was lacking.

11. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

The pre can't even do voice and data at the same time. Web browsing when a call comes in? Straight to voice mail.

Now that's multitasking!

12. bremb0 macrumors newbie

This is exactly same crap of some apple fanboys always doing

"whatever apple's products can do is extremely important"

"whatever apple's products can NOT do is useless and unimportant"

such that, when iPhone first out:
    3rd party app is useless and damage the stability of the iPhone!
    MMS is overrated, just use email!
    copy and paste is overrated!
    video recording is useless etc....

now iPhone can do them, they suddenly becomes extremely important.

These people have no principles of their own.

I use mulitasking, I listen to Pandora, check on my stocks, emails, sms etc.. on my way to work.
    My battery life on my Pre good and better than my iPhone, by 7pm I'm at 40%. If it goes dead, I can easily swap out the battery. Can your iPhone do that?

13. mcees4life macrumors newbie

This in my opinion is the bread and butter.....being able to receive calls in whatever i'm doing

14. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

So how many months is the flowchart indicating it'll take for the Palm catalogue to reach 50,000 apps? ;)

Fundamentally it's your personal preferred choice for carrier and keyboard. Palm offers something for their carrier, with a hardware keyboard. That's there thing.

Looking beyond that, the Pre has some features that are better, iPhone 3GS has a lot too.

The iPhone's been billed as the internet browsing device, app player, music player, and phone. Does well on all three (carrier issues are separate from the hardware here).

The Pre is where the original iPhone was 2 years ago roughly, in terms of numbers. We'll see when they actually formally open up their SDK to all how far they are behind on that one.

15. bremb0 macrumors newbie

Not true! Data will pause and calls comes in just fine.

16. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Yeah I was under the impression that this happened even on EVDO -- but it doesn't. I retract my previous statement. My friend has a Pre and he told me that this happens, but I misunderstood him. Apparently his Pre fluctuates in signal so much that realistically, any time he is using data his calls go to voice mail (even though it shouldn't do this on EVDO). He came from a Treo and said his signal was much, much better on the Treo in the same places.

But still -- what's with all the Pre fanboys registering on MacRumors? Inferiority complex? Palm Pimp seems to have to start a new useless thread every other day to try to publicly convince himself that he made the right decision in getting a Pre.

Palm Pimp -- why can't you go post on a Pre board?

17. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

"Do you need a new smartphone?"
    "No.."

"Yes you do."

18. paulyras macrumors 6502

I've stayed out of the pre vs iPhone thing all along, but there's one thing that needs to be said. I'm really glad that the pre exists and that it is a pretty darn good system with some features that the iPhone doesn't have.

I do think the iPhone us a better platform (typing this on my new 3gs) overall right now. That said, I'm really glad that apple has someone pushing them to innovate and broaden the capabilities of the iPhone. Similarly I'm sure the pre would not be nearly as nice were it not for the iPhone.

Long story short, I can't wait to see the companies duke it out in the R&D labs. Who knows. 5 years from now if palm innovates better, I could be using their system. Doubtful, but if it is because it's 'that good', I'll be cool with it.

Ok. I'm done. Go back to arguing.

19. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Gizmodo made it, not the troll :)

20. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I agree. It's a nice little device (albeit quite bare bones...it's obviously a 1.0 device), and it's obvious they've learned a lot from Apple and the iPhone. I hope Apple can learn some stuff from WebOS and feel the pressure to innovate even more. It's really a win win for the consumer.

But there's no reason for this OP to make these useless threads. The self-proclaimed pimp is clearly only to help treat his buyer's remorse syndrome or incite arguments.

21. Goona macrumors 68020

Goona

So it multitasks but you can't talk and surf the web at the same time? :rolleyes:

22. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Actually, the chart's not bad. I like the "Do you need good reception".

Unless I missed a square/triangle/diamond/polyhedron, the reason to get a pre is if you don't want video recording, a hardware keyboard, and want to wait for the apps. Valid points but none of them apply to me, so the iPhone it is!

A magnetic compass should be in there somewhere! ;)

23. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

How do you know what i said was and wasn't important? The Pre is a joke. It's basically a cheap iPhone imitation. But if ugly little phones are your thing, have at it.