Palm Pre battery life a joke! Users flood Palm support forums!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TapHappy, Jun 15, 2009.

1. TapHappy macrumors regular

2. mrtune macrumors 6502a

There not all going to be bad. My buddy has one and the battery life on that thing is the same as my iPhone 3G.

I remember last year when 2.0 software was released. The amount of complaints about crappy battery were plentiful.

They having teething issues to work through, just like Apple did.

3. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

I pretty sure that a firmware update will address this... Palm know enough about building phones to select a battery that will last when the software is right.

4. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

"Right now it is taking about 26-30 hours to fully charge and of course like most of you guys it is dead within about 3 hours and get nice and toasty."

Wow. And I thought my phone was bad.

5. thetexan macrumors 6502a

Battery life isn't any worse than my 3G's battery life was. In fact the Pre's was pretty strange in that battery life was terrible the first couple of days but now it's not bad at all. I had to change some habits up, for example Wifi killed my 3G, where Wifi on the Pre actually saves battery life. I also set my email accounts to push and that helped out too.

I take my Pre off the charger at 7am and at 7pm its about 50%. That includes me playing with it and responding to plenty of emails /texts and some Pandora streaming.

6. chox99 macrumors regular

All new batteries have crappy performace for the first few charges or so. Bettery should be trained/conditioned well during early stage of life for better performace overall.

7. TapHappy thread starter macrumors regular

Well that surprises me the most! Palm knows how to build smart phones with good battery life. They know how to write firmware software. The Treo line of phones were very good with battery. On the other hand, Apple has only been doing phones for a couple of years and the iPhone screen is a lot bigger, yet the 1.0 iPhone battery life was respectable. The Pre's is horrible!

You would think Palm would have known better! I'm always amazed as to how poorly executed products end up in the hands of consumers. It's not like these folks don't have internal quality control procedures, internal and external testing, peer review, etc.

On the other hand going from a test batch of 100 units to live production of 50,000 unit can reveal problems not seen in the test batch. That is the risk of going with a 1.0 product. All the more reason why I rarely adopt and deploy 1.0 products for use in the field.

8. Palm Pimp macrumors regular

Palm Pimp

Come on dog, you actually think the battery charge for a mass product is over a day with a use time of a LOTR movie, on average? Seriously?

9. AustinSTI macrumors 6502

At least its replacable if you want to go buy a bigger one or just have them swap the BATTERY rather than the entire PHONE

10. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

The good news for Palm and Sprint is that there won't be a big consumer uproar over this, because nobody's heard of the Pre yet.

11. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

Yeah but when you get a new battery you get a refurb that looks brand new.

12. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

Twiteriffic can drain my iphones battery in 3 hours

13. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

Wow...the hypocrisy here: iphone users making fun of another phones poor battery life... Oh the irony... :rolleyes:

14. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

I don't think there were ever rampant complaints of 3 hours standby...

15. DavidMc macrumors member

I have one for my work phone. I am not a heavy phone user but more of data and email. My work Pre is on par with my iphone 3G in terms of daily battery consumption. However out of the box that was not the case. It was hot to the touch and drained the battery in a few hours. Try a full reset on yours and see if it resolves your issue as it did mine. Since that full reset, I have not had the hot to the touch issue and my battery makes it all day.

16. TapHappy thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the tip, I'll give that a try. I guess removing the battery, letting it sit for an hour or so, then replacing the battery doesn't really reset these things.

17. steventsmith macrumors newbie

I gotta say, I've got a second-shipment Pre and the battery life equals if not exceeds my iPhone 3G. Charging takes an hour or two over USB (Touchstone is a lot slower, DUH) and I've had it last a couple days of light use without recharging.

Shenanigans!

18. aluren macrumors 65816

so the palm pre battery issue is not because people are running multiple apps continuously?

19. BigOrangeSU macrumors regular

I personally wish Palm would fix this. I am an avid supporter of the Palm Pre because I am ultimately a hard core iPhone supporter. I actually like to support the product that has the best technology. If Palm can fix this issue and get the Pre's battery issues fixed it will begin to create competition with Apple. Competition benefits the consumers in a multitude of ways (just to name some biggies):
    -Competition for new technology
    -Competition for Price point

So i hope Palm gets these issues fixed and can provide a product comparable to the iPhone

20. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Doubtful. Users could leave a lot of apps open, but with them doing nothing, or very little. The major exception would be Pandora, but that's no different on any phone.

I've read that at first Pre's tend to be slow and battery hungry, partly because they're busy trying to sync up all your information around the net.

And then of course theres's the usual new-phone scenario: everyone's playing a lot and keeping the screen alive, streaming videos, surfing the web, etc.

21. The General macrumors 601

Had to have the multitasking, though. amirite ;)

22. Chris Welch macrumors 6502

Are comments like this serious?

Please, people. Don't act like morons.

23. mrtune macrumors 6502a

Nope. I believe Palm has always had multitasking. It's nothing new for them. Blackberries have multitasking too. I had a curve that could get instant email, keep aim open all the time, and still get me 2 days battery life.

My iPhone ain't even close. It's almost dead by the time I leave work, same usage as my old blackberry.

As long as there is a good way to manage open apps, I don't see any problems with background apps. Blackberries have a popup task manager that's easy to use and get a quick glimpse of what's running. The pre has gone one step up and made their home screen show you all the app 'cards'. You know what's running and what's not, easily. It's a great system.

Apple just doesn't want to give us mutlitasking and is throwing excuses at us. That is all.

24. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

So thats the reason why it was all sold out during its launch weekend and everyone has trouble finding any stores with stock. :rolleyes:

25. The General macrumors 601

Yeah, but selling out isn't a big deal when you only sell 4 phones.