Palm Pre Syncs with iTunes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chaosen1, May 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

2. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'll say! But the above poster is correct, "Apple will update iTunes." :cool: Those rat bastards.

4. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

So basically, a bunch of former Apple employees go to Palm, and create a new phone, and then steal from their original company.

Such class....

I hope Apple sues their pants off.

5. Excellerator macrumors 6502a

How can that be bad for Apple? It may sell more songs, etc for them.

6. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Of course you do :rolleyes:

Anyway, this is great news. Since I can't buy a Pre anyway (physical keyboard = not likely to come to Japan) it doesn't really affect me either way, although my hope is that the Pre will be successful enough that Apple will be forced to turn around and copy some of it ... ;)

7. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

I do because I think it would be kind of funny considering half of the Pre's makers are former Apple employees.

However, I would think that they wouldn't because they can still potentially make money off of someone who owns a Pre.

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

So if the Pre syncs with iCal and puts my calendar on the phone, would you also consider that stealing from Apple? Should Apple sue over that as well?

Give me a break.

9. jsgreen macrumors 6502

There is s a revenue opportunity for Apple in leaving this alone, as they would probably sell more iTunes content to Pre owners.

10. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

No, they shouldn't.

Like I said, I think it would be funny because a lot of the Pre folks are former Apple employees.

But in reality, that would be like Apple suing Google because the iPhone can sync with the Google calendar.

As long as Apple has a chance to make money, they wouldn't sue.

And the chance is there with the Pre for Apple.

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

You must not know the history of Steve Jobs and his offshoot company, NeXT, that he founded after leaving Apple.

Jobs took some top Mac staff engineers with him. Sound familiar? So Apple tried to sue him for stealing company secrets.

All that happened instead, was that NeXT got a ton of free publicity because it was clear that Apple was afraid of the competition they might produce.

Karma is a b***h, as they say.

Silicon Valley is heavily based on employees leaving firms where they're not allowed to do what they want, and then creating a better gizmo.

12. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Didn't one of the blackberrys sync with iTunes too.

13. teiresias macrumors regular

This is interesting, if a bit unnecessary. I sync my iPod with iTunes, but I hardly have ever use my iPhone for its iPod functionality. I just have an "iPhone Playlist" that I sync, but I haven't changed it in so long I may as well just have manually dragged and dropped music onto the thing - which is probably what I'll end up doing with the Pre.

How would this work anyway? I can't imagine the Pre shows up in the left-hand toolbar of iTunes labeled "Palm Pre" does it?

14. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

Im afraid that might be exactly the case.

still, option of using it as USB and drag and drop content is a much better solution, IMHO, without the hassle of ITMS.

15. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

That's what I was wondering. Does this mean it also let's me choose which playlists I want to sync from inside iTunes. I think "seamlessly" may be stretching it - maybe "syncs well enough."

And isn't iTunes one of the biggest reasons people give for not wanting an iPhone or an iPod?

16. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

On the reverse it is usually the biggest reason Mac users give for not wanting any other phone/media device. Well outside the "if it doesn't have the :apple: logo it must be crap" thing...

17. teiresias macrumors regular

It must also fit snuggly in my man-purse.

;)

18. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

If I'm not mistaken didn't jobs get fired from apple. He had hired pepsi's CEO to run apple, then the new CEO fired Steve jobs from apple.

19. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

I am not up on my media because I pretty much just stick to iTunes for music and my iPhone.

If you are dragging and dropping to the Pre, then WHAT are you dragging and dropping?

MP3's that you rip from physical media?

Can you just buy MP3 files on sites legally?

Man I am so behind the times when it comes to media.... lol..

20. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Did anyone notice that none of the DRM stuff will work with the Pre? So much for transferring any iTunes Movies/TV Shows...

21. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

I can see why Apple would be upset by this as I'm sure that some people who have invested time/money in building an itunes library are likely going to only by iPods because of the ease with which they can transfer their music. I wonder if other mp3 players could seemlessly sync with itunes, how many people might try out other players?
    At the same time, as a lot have pointed out... even if you lose out on the hardware sale of the phone (it's only one phone.. for now... it's not like every smartphone now syncs with itunes*) they are still likely to retain the iTunes store customer if they can continue to use iTunes.

* - I wonder if Palm will do whatever they did to the Pre to their other phones? Or even if they would 'license' - openly or secretly - the method to RIM, Nokia, etc etc so that their phones can sync.. or to Creative or whoever makes mp3 players these days.

22. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

That one is obvious. There's no way that they would be able to license FairPlay from Apple.

I don't think this will be happening for too long. Lawsuit is a dangerous path because it could break down the walls around the ecosystem but a slight change in iTunes would break it.

23. damnyooneek macrumors 6502

wasnt this the purpose of no DRM? for music to be allowed to be used on other devices. the article said it doesnt work on DRM music but works on the new DRM music. i dont think apple is going to do anything except sell more music.

24. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

That depends on how they do it. If they somehow got iTunes to think it's a genuine iPod, there's no way that Apple could stop the pre from syncing without issuing a firmware update for EVERY iPod ever made, which puts Apple in a tough spot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.