Palm Pre will have Data Tethering

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by slapppy, Feb 11, 2009.

1. slapppy macrumors 65816

According to Engadget. Yep, another reason why the Palm Pre will be a big hit with business sales. Thats a huge market that Apple had a chance to penetrate but blew it.

2. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

uhh...Apple could easily enable tethering in iPhone. This is a non-factor.

3. JForestZ34 macrumors 6502a

I don't think I would want to tether with my iphone.. The 3G speed isn't all what they said it would be at least not in my area Central NJ..

James

4. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

This makes no sense. Especially since Apple hasn't announced there new device yet.

5. slapppy thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh sure Apple can easily add copy and paste, push, global search and tethering..... what are they waiting for then? RIM will continue to dominate business and soon Palm and others will dominate consumers with the slow progress Apple has done with core functionality.

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Especially since this is up to AT&T who said they wanted to do it, but apparently changed their minds.

If AT&T wants to change their minds back, it won't take any time at all to make it happen.

7. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Stick to your own topic, airhead.

Tethering is a non-factor, iPhone already has such capability and had approved app.

8. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

It does? You don't mean NetShare, do you?

9. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

That and of course PDANet.

10. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

How well does PDANet work? I've tried NetShare. I was deeply disappointed with its slow connection. :(

11. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

As simple as installing a program in Windows, connect USB and open PDANet.

12. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Well, if you had no other choice, I'm sure tethering would be fine for you. Sure, we don't want to tether if we don't have to, but some have no other choice sometimes.

A new device has nothing to do with this. The current iPhone 3G can tether without a hitch. The problem is not one of technology, it's political/financial crap. It's either Apple or AT&T deciding that people can't tether. And I don't see why AT&T not allowing tethering would dictate that no tethering should be allowed for rest of the world. It seems like Apple is the one pissing on the parade.

But, on topic, I can't see how the option of tethering wouldn't be a big plus for the Pre.

13. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Because Apple doesn't really have a way to control phones region-by-region. At the moment all phones get flashed with the same firmware, regardless of what country they're in. Restricting features to certain regions increases the complexity of the provisioning process and that's something that Apple probably wants to avoid. If they enabled tethering only for non-US phones you can bet that some enterprising hacker would figure out a way to enable it for US customers -- and that's exactly what AT&T doesn't want to have happen.

14. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

I'd agree, except they must have some way ...

What about the phones that are sold unlocked, or especially the ones in Egypt that have GPS disabled?

15. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Doesn't mean squat. iPhone 1st Gen can easily tether (more likely the 3G will). Everything is up to AT&T to offer up the service, and then and only then will Apple enable tethering (either thru Bluetooth or Wi-Fi). I honestly think AT&T will be more than happy to allow customers to pay able to pay them an extra $30 for a tethering option.

Copy/paste? Simple firmware update.

Apple is just offering stuff slowly as not to bore out the market. If something is true in the business & marketing world. Don't offer stuff all at once, release it step by step to get a higher revenue margin.

So offering slowly some features is just a business strategy.

16. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

and emoji in Japan...

17. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Actually, I think Emoji kinda proves my point. It was a region-specific feature that was enabled in the software only, and hackers *did* find a way to enable it on non-US phones.

Unlocking's a different case, as unlocked phones are handled differently by iTunes (specifically some magic* is done to the baseband when Apple authorizes a phone for unlocking.)

*Last I checked, nobody was 100% sure what that magic was, as the unlocking efforts have focused on other attack vectors.

18. slapppy thread starter macrumors 65816

Have little more class when replying.

19. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

I have been called many things on a forum, you're the first to mention class.

HAH!

20. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

Almost all Sprint PDAs can tether. The downside is that it is expensive, and it isn't included with the Simply Everything Plan.