Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2006
I've never owned a PDA before, but after realizing my poor organizational skills and many tasks for classes after my first semester of college, I'm considering buying a Palm TX.

It's sleek, thin, simple, not windows, wifi, great screen, etc. The perfect pda for me.

As an apple customer, I'm used to updates coming all the time and I'm weary about buying something that was released over a year ago!

How often, on average, does Palm update their PDA's? Should I wait for a newer model?

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
I've had one since Feburary. First PDA, since Newton (which I still have :) ).

Thought it was a great deal, as it included WiFi, and Bluetooth, without taking up a slot. Very usable for web. Email is a bit limited, but ok. I just bought The Missing Sync, and it's much nicer than the Palm Desktop (also Universal Binary). The background process for it is much "nicer" to system.

Also, use it as a custom universal remote control, using NoviiRemote Deluxe (even Apple Remote).

But, to answer the update question - haven't seen anything on an upcoming model.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Palm development had been in a sort of limbo while agreements were worked out with Access, the people who currently own the Palm OS. Just in the past few days, an announcement was made that an agreement had been worked out allowing future development, so it's a little more likely that long-rumored updates may see the light of day some time soon.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Palm development had been in a sort of limbo while agreements were worked out with Access, the people who currently own the Palm OS. Just in the past few days, an announcement was made that an agreement had been worked out allowing future development, so it's a little more likely that long-rumored updates may see the light of day some time soon.

I just read today that they bought PalmOS from Access for $44 million, even though they practically gave it to them a while back.

Palm just released two Treo models, the 680 and another 700 that's running Windows Mobile/PocketPC/WinCE.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
I have a TX, kinda, though the screen cracked (not damaged or left in heat or anything, just kinda... broke on it's own). Palm's an idiot when it comes to those problems, but fortunately Franklin Covey is better and is replacing it. I liked it when I had it though, and I will when I get it back I'm sure. It's a nice little piece of machinery. Dunno what they'd be bringing out in a new version, though I'd expect that unless they drop the non-phone handhelds (unlikely), it probably will be updated in another few months.

jW

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
There are some rumor sites for PDA as well. Bright Hand is one of the good source on info about PDAs.
I use TX daily and it is much better than my LifeDrive (which is doggedly slow compared to TX). If you need it to have your life organized better, then, go get it now. It is a good PDA.

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
No new TX for a while. If ever. Supposedly there's been a rumor or two about an update, but nothing has come of it. Palm has focused their development cycles on Treos.
The news regarding Palm OS concerns the current iteration, Garnet (5.4.8). Basically they received a perpetual license to utilize Garnet as they pleased, with code edits, etc. Also, they have the right to emulate Garnet, as long as it passes a compatibility test from Access, the company who own the Palm OS.(But maybe not the name palm-it's tough to say. Very confusing wording on that, but Palm-the-hardware-company definitely owns most of those rights, as evidenced by the branding of their products.)
Anyhow, all this means one of two things. Either Palm is going to tweak Garnet half to death, or they are going to emulate (over Linux or WinMob or god knows what.) If they tweak they need to do some heavy tweaking, since EV-DO Rev A (High speed access being rolled out by Verizon and Sprint) and HSDPA (3g from Cingular) requires more complex multi-tasking than Palm OS can handle. Yes, Palm OS has such limited multi-tasking capability that it cannot handle the sort of voice/data pipelines that any dumbphone from LG or Samsung can run with ease. So emulation is the likely conclusion, with the first version out in (hopefully) a year or so.
What does all this mean? Well, with the treo being the bread and butter for Palm right now, I doubt there will be any new handheld releases until they get the high speed situation worked out. There'd be little to no reason to sell a "high end" palm with one OS, then release a smartphone with a totally different one; Palm isn't that resourceful of a company to be able to extend their support resources that far.
Sorry for the long and detailed post, I just wanted to get the information clarified as much as possible since there's a lot of confusion and information flying around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.