Palm's unconfirmed tablet

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by maflynn, Jan 18, 2011.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Engadget has some pics of the new Palm tablet and it looks sharp

[​IMG]

2. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I've seen that design before - but I just can't place it... ;)

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

With specs maybe we can say if its fine or cwap.

4. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Looks rather swish. The tablet wars are going to get rather interesting.

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Palm really needs to shorten it's release window. The Pre was the talk of CES 2 years ago but by the time in shipped in June the buzz had faded. Palm just doesn't have the mindshare anymore to keep people waiting for that long.

With that being said I'm curious to see this thing in action because I like WebOS a lot. I'd love for HP/Palm to be able to get more traction and make it a three dog race between WebOS, Android and iOS. Talk about an awesome situation for the buying public if that happens.

Lethal

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

HP/Palm will prove to be Apple's big competition in this market. The only thing I hedge on is if it will ship too late. Article says September.

7. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I think you're thinking of the Samsung Galaxy Tab

I still don't see the point of tablets, but I'll probably get one of these if the price is right.

8. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Actually, I'm thinking of the show, "Star Trek"... ;)

:p

9. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Indeed, but I think Palm's achilles is their app store and perception. I think for the most part people have largely ignored the phones and I suspect that may be the case with the tablet.

It looks cool, I do like the look but the iPad has too many things going for it.

10. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I think HP/Palm is in a good spot for the smartphone/tablet market. With HP's money(and a serious investment, which it seem they are down to do so) they're offering an Apple like device(where they control software and hardware), which seems to have worked well for smartphone and tablet markets.

Of course HP doesn't quite have the history of doing this, while Apple does, but Palm has a nice history of offer a nice OS, so I'll be interested to see where everything ends up

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

That makes a lot of sense.

I think HP has taken way too long to integrate Palm and get new products out the door. While I agree they are in a good position, I think they may be a bit too late.

HP is big in the business market. The enterprise was always where the other guys made money and Apple didn't. Apple has found their way into the enterprise with iPhone and iPad.

12. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I don't see the need for one, specifically, but I'd like to get one to see what all of the fuss is about. Plus, I think Web OS is the best mobile OS on the market right now... soft spot for Palm I guess ;)