Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
But Chevy isn't preventing F.O.R.D. from fitting their tires on their cars. Apple isn't preventing Internet Explorer from running on Snow Leopard. Nikon isn't preventing Canon from fitting their lenses on their cameras. HP isn't preventing Epson from using their toner in their printers. I can go on.
I am pretty sure you could, but here is this metaphor to complete your rant: You need adapter rings for your Nikon lens to fit Canon cameras. You may need drivers for your non-standard peripherals so that you can use them with OS X or Windows. Palm needs a simple sync software to read an XML file (provided by iTunes for this particular purpose) to sync your music.

By the way, what do you think Ford is an abbreviation of?

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
Does anyone actually believe that 100% of all iTunes users are also iPod owners? There are plenty of people out there who love the iTunes experience but still use other players or smartphones. Why not let them sync their music and potentially purchases to their devices? Apple is cutting off a revenue stream. Short-sighted. Stupid.
Wow are you serious or completely oblivious to the fact that Apple's cut of 29 cents per song is not pure profit. They have to pay merchant fees, bandwidth, data center maintenance and advertising costs. Apple makes very little money from music sales compared to the margin on hardware. Revenue != profit.

Palm can use the XML version of the library to build a sync agent for their device. I could probably whip up a tool for them in a week or so for a nominal fee.

Sometimes Jones

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2009
You keep calling them lazy.... I do not think Palm was being lazy as you pointed out they already had software for their other devices that could do syncing.

What palm did was reduce the amount of extra software that we would have to install on our computer to do a very basic thing like sync up our music.

Or must you be one of those people who likes have 10 pieces of software that basically does the exact same damn thing.

Yep -- I just loved having Palm Desktop/Hotsync installed along side Active Sync way back when because my wife and I used differing PDAs.

Palm is sleazy (IMO), and I will never own another Palm product. Pre users are asking for a desktop syncing solution like Palm Desktop for the Pre. I guess the cloud backups are just not doing it for some users. Matter of fact, there seems to be a good number of Pre users getting fed up with Palm.

Sometimes Jones

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2009
wow the apple fans really can not see it any other way. Are you all that blind that you can not follow logic about reducing software. No matter if Palm was right or wrong it does not get around the argument that what palm did was reduce the amount of extra crap we needed to sync up music.

They can not understand the point that what palm did was reduce the amount of extra software on our computers.

I guess you are one of those people who love having 10+ pieces of software that does the exact same thing.

Yeah .. that's EXACTLY the reason Palm didn't provide their own solution .. just to save some room on your hard drive -- I don't think so.

Why did Palm create Palm Desktop? Why couldn't I sync my HP Jornada (et al) using Palm's Palm Desktop -- you guessed it. The Palm software was created to support their hardware. Can you draw any parallels from this?

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
I am pretty sure you could, but here is this metaphor to complete your rant: You need adapter rings for your Nikon lens to fit Canon cameras. You may need drivers for your non-standard peripherals so that you can use them with OS X or Windows. Palm needs a simple sync software to read an XML file (provided by iTunes for this particular purpose) to sync your music.

Found On Road Dead

Palm is certainly headed in that direction.

Quillz

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Stinks Palm, right? Next time, don't go screwing with Apple or you will always lose:D

Haha Palm, haha.
Because monopolies are such beautiful things.
lol. it's about time. The Pre Sucks... maybe they are working on their next phone syncing with iTunes....
You're right, it sucks simply because Apple doesn't make it.

You and I both know if the Pre had an Apple logo on the back of it, every fanboy on this board would be circle-jerking it night and day over the "world's greatest phone, the Pre" and worshiping Steve Jobs.
How is this different from Apple leeching off Window OS using bootcamp? And at the same time knocking them with their ads.
Boot Camp isn't really "leaching," but it's certainly hypocritical of Apple to bash Microsoft at every opportunity and yet conveniently rely on them to drive key products like Boot Camp and ActiveSync.

Quillz

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Yep -- I just loved having Palm Desktop/Hotsync installed along side Active Sync way back when because my wife and I used differing PDAs.
And how is that any better/worse than Apple installing many background processes with iTunes that chew up CPU cycles, or "bundling" it with QuickTime, iPhone Configuration, etc?

It's not just Palm who bundles software, bloatware. Palm, Microsoft, Apple, etc. all do it.

ph0rk

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2003
SWVA
Does anyone actually believe that 100% of all iTunes users are also iPod owners? There are plenty of people out there who love the iTunes experience but still use other players or smartphones. Why not let them sync their music and potentially purchases to their devices? Apple is cutting off a revenue stream. Short-sighted. Stupid.

iTunes is free and exists to sell iPods, iPhones, and AppleTVs.

(Give away the razor, sell the blades)

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
And how is that any better/worse than Apple installing many background processes with iTunes that chew up CPU cycles, or "bundling" it with QuickTime, iPhone Configuration, etc?

It's not just Palm who bundles software, bloatware. Palm, Microsoft, Apple, etc. all do it.

At least Quicktime can be justified - Apple uses Quicktime as the playback engine and uses iTunes as a front end. iTunes in of itself doesn't actually playback anything, thats Quicktime - at least with Apple its all in one GUI (the iPhone configuration is not considered part of iTunes and is a separate download), but yes, it is an industry norm.

CubusX

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2009
Does not make sense.

How is this different from Apple leeching off Window OS using bootcamp? And at the same time knocking them with their ads.

It would be considering "leeching" if Apple copied Windows code and advertised it as their own. That would infringe on the Copyright of Windows OS.

Apple should be able to file Copyright infringement on this USB issue that Plam created. It copied their USB code.

Palm would be finished - they would be found guilty. How many of their users will complain about buying it as an iPhone replacement (due to the iTunes syncing)? These users must be complaining to Sprint/Plam that they bought this phone for that reason. Add this to the decline in sales of the Pre and it is a total fail.

I'm supprised that Plam hasn't been hit in the stock market like BlackBerry.

kate-willbury

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2009
this is a good thing. hopefully those people who only know the crap that is itunes will wake up and find other, much better desktop media players out there.

bobertoq

macrumors 6502a
Feb 29, 2008

But Apple has intentionally broke the Pre's syncing capabilities. Apple should just allow any device to sync with iTunes. I see no reason why other devices shouldn't be able to. :confused:

As for the Ford thing, it's an inside joke :p

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
But Apple has intentionally broke the Pre's syncing capabilities. Apple should just allow any device to sync with iTunes. I see no reason why other devices shouldn't be able to. :confused:

No, Apple designed software to work with their devices. Palm is fraudulently pretending their devices are Apple devices by violating the USB license rules... and they've been told so.

You see no reason why other devices shouldn't be able to sync to iTunes. Its Apple's intellectual capital, their software license, and they can make the rules whatever they like. They have published APIs that let other vendors develop software to completely sync what's in the iTunes library, and other companies do just that. Palm has had their on syncing software in the past, so they certainly know how to right it. They are trying to piggy back on iTunes and benefit from what Apple has developed... directly marketing against them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.