Panda/Zebra/Oreo/Whatever conversion...COMPLETED! Pics of the process are inside..

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Silvia96, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Silvia96 macrumors member

Well today was the day I decided, after receiving all the necessary parts, that i would go ahead and do my black/white case mod. After reading through the guides on iFixit a few times, collecting the correct tools, and reading through this forum, I took on the project and got down to business this morning. Sorry for the bad quality and tiny size, I have a terrible camera.

First, a clean, clear, safe, well-lit workplace. Note my original setup (the white macbook), my new blackbook bottom and lcd case, the other laptop for constant referral to iFixit.com, and the stack of bathroom cups labeled with the corresponding step number on iFixit to hold the screws and small parts. Organization is everything!

[​IMG]

Another shot before the "operation".

[​IMG]

Just getting started..

[​IMG]

Here's a few during the middle of the process. (The dark smudges in the lower left corner aren't screws, they're smudges of old thermal compound I scraped off the processors/heat sink, to replace with fresh stuff.) Note the completed lid in the back.

[​IMG]

Almost done!

[​IMG]

And the end result! What does everybody think?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I had seen one or 2 members on here do this same color combination of black outer/white inner casing. I also saw may people discouraging others from attempting it, but with the right planning, a careful touch, methodical operation, and the right tools, you can do it. It wasn't that bad. Give yourself plenty of time and follow the guide step by step. I tweaked it here and there for things I didn't need, but for the most part, iFixit was spot-on.

I got the lcd case and bottom case from Ebay, brand new, for about $50 shipped. Not bad!

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Not too shabby at all!!

When I saw "zebra" I had the thought of a striped keyboard with black/white...but was pleasantly surprised. I've seen pictures of that keyboard setup, and it's way too busy looking for my eyes.

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

That looks pretty good. When reading your thread title, I thought you were going to have the exterior case different colors but this looks amazing and clean.

4. gillboyswims96 macrumors regular

personally i think you should maybe try to replace all the white keys with black keys... change it up a little...

I really like it either way tho... and if i had the extra black macbook, and wasnt scared to do it i so would :p

5. KielderWolf macrumors regular

KielderWolf

:eek: I see a Windoze laptop in the first photograph!

Heh heh. *hides his Windoze laptop* Nothing to see here.

Ahem.

But no, wow man what an awesome project! Well done, it looks really great! Although, I would never pull my BlackBook apart. I already did once to colour my Apple logo green and now that is is green I have vowed never to open the machine again. Ever. Well... maybe once in the distant future if I get tired of the green Apple and want to make it blue or red. Or orange. I've been told that orange would look good but I'm colourblind so meh. :cool:

Wolf ∑:•p

6. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

Not so much Panda/Zebra as the Oreo conversion...:)

7. JoeDRC macrumors 6502

Oreo macbook sounds much better :D

8. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Cool, I would do this but I don't see much point in reviving my half-dead white MacBook. Did you break open any tabs or anything like that during the conversion?

9. Silvia96 thread starter macrumors member

I didn't break anything during the process, although once inside, I discovered many of the screw mounts for the lcd and hinges were broken off. With the new panels, all of these are intact now and the whole Macbook fits together much nicer! No more wobbly hinge!

Yeah, the Vista laptop is my mom's, the only one I had access to. It really is true: I won't use a Windows laptop unless my macbook is in pieces..

Oreo seems more appropriate, I just didn't know what to call it, everybody seems to get corrected once they decide on a term for it!

As for the black keys, this top case/keyboard was replaced by Apple a few weeks ago, so I'm happy to keep these shiny new keys for a while! The whole laptop looks brand new again, and runs better since I swapped some internals with parts from a free salvaged Macbook pro I picked up. Can't complain! This Macbook is going to keep me happy for some time to come! I love the new look...if you're thinking about doing it, but can't decide...DO IT! Thanks for the replies, this is a great forum.

10. BlackiBook macrumors 6502

BlackiBook

I did this with my iBook but I think my conversion was alot easier! I just took the bottom cover and top cover (oh and the battery cover) off and boiled them with water and fabric dye! the result was some nice deep rich black pieces! I also changed the apple to red! What do you use to paint your pieces?

11. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

I was considering doing the samething when I was inside my blackbook, though my mom didn't like the idea of having me gut her whitebook.

-Omi

12. Silvia96 thread starter macrumors member

I didn't paint or dye them, I got new parts from a Black Macbook off of Ebay. Looks brand new. Your pieces didn't warp during boiling? Do you have any photos?

13. Takuta-Nui macrumors regular

That looks brilliant. I am way too unknowledgeable to even think of attempting something like this, so you have my respect and congratulations. Now people will think you got some kind of special edition. =D

14. Silvia96 thread starter macrumors member

Here are a few slightly better, larger photos. I ordered a used Blackbook battery that I'll use just for swapping the case on it, but for now, I actually kind of like the white battery. Thanks for all the compliments!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. gillboyswims96 macrumors regular

i am very very jealous... i just dont have the heart to take my laptop apart... maybe in a year or so :p

16. looman9635 macrumors member

looman9635

17. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

I give you an A+ for taking on such a project. Really nice but...

...can't you get similar results by just adding a black Speck case to the top and bottom? Your macbook looks just like mine now. (And I don't have to worry about the battery color :D).

Plus, the resale value of that thing just dropped. (I think).

Regardless, nice job and thanks for taking the time to chronicle your project and share it.

18. Silvia96 thread starter macrumors member

I had a Speck case for a little while, It added a bit too much bulk for me and scratched my macbook underneath. Fitment wasn't perfect either. Needless to say, I didn't keep it on for too long. It sits in a drawer somewhere. I'm satisfied with it, and since I don't plan on selling it anytime soon, the resale isn't really an issue right now. Even still, I'd pay more for this computer now than how it was with the scratched/scuffed white case.

19. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Too much bulk? It's only plastic about 1/32" thick. I dunno... maybe I have an older Speck case. I've had it on for 7 months now and just popped it off about a week ago for the first time to clean it - not a single scratch anywhere on the macbook.

20. donuttakedonuts macrumors regular

Put in a blackbook keyboard.. truly awesome though as it is.

21. BlackiBook macrumors 6502

BlackiBook

No not at all the top came out perfect but the bottom pieces were black for a long time but have now turned a dark green-ish color (I think because of the heat from the computer itself?!) but I will upload pictures in just a minute!

Attached Files:

22. BlackiBook macrumors 6502

BlackiBook

A few more! I have been thinking of popping off the keys and painting the slanted 4 sides of each key black! And sorry about the misunderstanding, I thought you had painted the pieces yourself! I must have missed the part about you buying the blackbook pieces :)

Attached Files:

23. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

I'd like to see a MacBook with a completely transparent case ;)

24. BlackiBook macrumors 6502

BlackiBook

I know its been done with the old iBook G3s, but they had the clear plastic that was painted white on the inside (just some paint thinner and scrubbing and it was clear) but I think if you wanted to do it with your macbook you would have to mold your own clear pieces! :D

25. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

As a relative Mac newbie, that sounds a little ambitious for me. Maybe another 10 years down the line :D