Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pndrgnsvc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
Georgetown, Texas
I am not a Pandora subscriber, so I was a bit surprised that I still was able to listen to the various Pandora stations via Car Play, albeit with commercials. My car indicated the incoming streams were being received by LTE or 3G.

Is this “normal”, or are there charges accruing merely waiting for me to think the “free” music will last forever?

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
Is this “normal”, or are there charges accruing merely waiting for me to think the “free” music will last forever?

Pandora has a free tier. More to the point, how exactly would it charge you? More likely it would stop after some time period.

Reactions: Pndrgnsvc

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
Wow, that is exciting news. Thanks for posting!

Well I guess it depends on how you look at it. Pandora is better than XM radio in that it allow you to choose not only the genre but also the artists. For example if I want to listen to Bread, it plays predominantly Bread music along with other artists who play very similar music. XM does not have this ability. I would rather pay for Pandora than XM any day of the week. For me this is disturbing news that XM acquired Pandora. Still trying to figure out how XM and Sirius merged into a single entity without opposition from the U.S. Government. By doing so they created a monopoly which I thought was against FCC regulations.

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
Which FCC is that baypharm?
Always Apple music.
I'm glad I have a big iTunes library, even have some old Bread album, digitized from LP.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
Which FCC is that baypharm?
Always Apple music.
I'm glad I have a big iTunes library, even have some old Bread album, digitized from LP.

Yeah I have the majority of my music digitized onto my iPad. I can bluetooth to my stereo system or my headphones.

Reactions: Partron22

Pndrgnsvc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
Georgetown, Texas
Sirius is a definite show-stopper for me- everything from selection to frequency response. I would have preferred paying Pandora than settling for Sirius. Not that this screed contributes much to the discussion at hand, it's just that I fail to see the upside of Sirius.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.