Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pandora or Spotify

• Pandora

Votes: 18 38.3%
  • Spotify

Votes: 14 29.8%
  • Other (Share what it is)

Votes: 15 31.9%

• Total voters

adam044

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
Which streaming service do you like best and why? I use Pandora just because I found it before Spotify and as I can see they both offer the same thing unless you pay for Spotify premium then Spotify has more.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I like pandora - since Spotify seems integrated into facebook I prefer not going that route.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I got on Spotify just before they seemed to be extremely adamant to get you to log in with Facebook and all that stuff. I don't care for my Facebook feed to be riddled with the announcement of music I am listening to. I love Spotify if I know what I'm looking for and Pandora is used as my "radio" where I her new music based off a simple song or artist selection. I love them both but now I think I'll check out Songza because I am curious.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
I would also go for songza, i use to listen to pandora all the time. I now have switched to Songza because of the adds and the skip limit in pandora.

If you just want radio then iHeart works well (my wifes choice).

----------

I would add that i sometimes think that it takes too many clicks to get Songza playing music when you first open the app, whish it would just auto start with the last list i was playing.

chadrob30

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2007
In front of my Mac.
Perfect timing. I just downloaded Spotify last night and selected Metallica to listen to. It played everything BUT Metallica, and lot's of hip hop. WTH? Pandora at least plays the correct genre of music.

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
Pandora I prefer for when I want to discover new music, as the radio service is great. Spotify's "radio" is pretty rubbish; however, for general use, Spotify is much better since it lets you listen to whatever you want whenever you want and you dont have to worry about limited "skips".

That said, neither have very good sound quality. I'm a bit of an audio snob, and while I can't hear the difference out of something like laptop speakers, from my headphones or main speakers, you really can hear the artifacts at 128kbps... but it's free so you can't complain too much. I do not like Rdio at all -- it was my preferred service before they updated to the slow, ugly new interface and of the three, it was by far the worst sound quality. It's borderline unlistenable and some songs have to be as low as 64kbps. Just inexcusable and unenjoyable.

Philscbx

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2007
Mpls Mn
I got on Spotify just before they seemed to be extremely adamant to get you to log in with Facebook
Any Site that has any reference to facebook is a sham - then forces it to be used - some people just don't get it - Kids, we forgot have no sense.

I have been with Pandora for years when it started - love it.
The UI on the iPad is perfect - just add Jambox blueTooth - go lounge on the pontoon in middle of lake.

Last edited:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Any Site that has any reference to facebook is a sham - then forces it to be used - some people just don't get it - Kids, we forgot have no sense.

I have been with Pandora for years when it started - love it.
The UI on the iPad is perfect - just add Jambox blueTooth - go lounge on the pontoon in middle of lake.

Like I said though, I got into Spotify just before they integrated with FB so I'm free of any FB nuisance. I use FB but I don't wait everything I do throughout the day advertised. I do enjoy Spotify quite a bit and now i'm really enjoying Songza.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Rdio is also a good option ;)

+1

I have a subscription with them and I love it. Plus, I'm able to listen to albums via their web site while I'm at work. I can't do that with Spotify since I have to download an app for the computer and that won't fly on my work PC. Plus, I refuse to use my Facebook login information to create a Spotify account.

Songza is also a good option since it's 100% free and has no commercials (yet).

Philscbx

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2007
Mpls Mn
Philscbx - with Pandora for years when it started - love it.
I do enjoy Spotify quite a bit and now i'm really enjoying Songza.
Gees more - Songza, Well that's the difference being a regular vs a professional -

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Gees more - Songza, Well that's the difference being a regular vs a professional -

No clue, just downloaded it last night. ;)

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
I love Pandora, and have used it for years!

I am going to check out Songza.... see what the fuss is about!

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
I like pandora - since Spotify seems integrated into facebook I prefer not going that route.

You don't have to connect to Facebook. In fact, you can connect to Facebook, and then later change your mind and disconnect from Facebook -- I've done this.

I use Spotify Premium because I want a full-featured music player that I can control what I'm playing, not just a radio-style service. That said, Pandora might be better for music discovery, but Spotify's is improving in this area (they have the "radio" feature, plus you can hook into third-party "apps" for that as well).

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I'm a Spotify fan. I joined when they first started up in the US and thus there is no connection with FB. I like being able to search for specific stuff and create my own playlists.

Philscbx

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2007
Mpls Mn
Gees more - Songza,
No clue, just downloaded it last night. ;)
Just found this - https://mog.com/

Update: after the tour - I'm not impressed with MOB - there's no genre option - only what they want you to hear.
Not only that - play 15-20 portions of what's there - you are cut off - or upgrade - Forget it.
I'm sticking with Pandora.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.