Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TJone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
Does anyone else have a problem with Pandora running in the background? Lately when I hit the home button it will continue to play for a second and then turn off. I have resprung and rebooted but it still happens. It does not like to multitask anymore. It is not a big deal but is kind of annoying still. Thanks.

evilbastard

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2010
Does anyone else have a problem with Pandora running in the background? Lately when I hit the home button it will continue to play for a second and then turn off. I have resprung and rebooted but it still happens. It does not like to multitask anymore. It is not a big deal but is kind of annoying still. Thanks.

Nope just tried it and background play is working.

TJone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
Thanks. I wonder if it may be a conflict with the app RemoveBG from Cydia to close background apps (through Activator). I installed it a few days ago and have not made any other changes I can think of recently. I added an exception for Pandora but maybe there is something else going on. I was thinking of trying Multiflow to see if that would help keep Pandora running in the background but wanted to hold off after seeing there are still some bugs being worked out.

TJone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
It is strange. If I turn off 3G and use AT&T EDGE backgrounding works for Pandora and if I switch 3G back on, Pandora shuts off when you press the home button. It is not a big deal since I will probably upgrade to iOS 4.1 once the jailbreak arrives and that will probably fix it too. The audio quality of Pandora on EDGE seems OK too.

geko29

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2008
Reboot your phone. This has happened twice to me (JB 4.0.1 with various apps) and twice to my boss (bone stock 4.0.2), and rebooting fixed it in all cases. Seems to be some sort of memory management issue, as it happened to my boss when he had 10 pages of recent apps in his multitask bar, and to me when my free RAM was below 40MB.

LoLife

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2010
Reno, NV
Just curious do you have backgrounder installed on your phone? I noticed this too with pandora once I installed backgrounder and turned backgrounder on only to use backgrounder and not use native I had this problem. Switched over to auto detect and enable at launch and now pandora runs when not open

TJone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
Reboot your phone. This has happened twice to me (JB 4.0.1 with various apps) and twice to my boss (bone stock 4.0.2), and rebooting fixed it in all cases. Seems to be some sort of memory management issue, as it happened to my boss when he had 10 pages of recent apps in his multitask bar, and to me when my free RAM was below 40MB.

Thanks a lot everyone! I rebooted again and this time it was successful. i am on 3G again and have Pandora running in the background. I tried that a few times before but it had not worked in the past. I always keep only a couple apps running (safari, pandora) thanks to the RemoveBG app. It does seem to be a memory issue. I don't have backgrounder installed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.