Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

224917-coda_notes_1_500.jpg

Just hours after Apple released Safari 5 with support for extensions created by third-party developers, Panic has demoed 'Coda Notes', an extension allowing for website annotation and sharing.
When you install Coda Notes, you'll get a new button in your toolbar. Click it to see all our annotation tools, built right into Safari. Draw some notes on your favorite website. Communicate changes, ideas, concepts, or problems. Then, when you're done, hit the Send Notes button and the whole page flips over as a postcard.
Panic notes that Coda Notes is buit entirely with JavaScript, HTML and CSS and was built in only four days. The extension is still considered a "quick and dirty" implementation, however, and Panic will continue to refine it before releasing it to the public.

224917-coda_notes_2_500.jpg

Article Link: Panic Demos 'Coda Notes' Extension for Safari 5

Jason S.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
Pennsylvania
Did Apple give them early access to Safari 5 or the Extension Developer Docs?

EDIT: Nevermind. Just found out they demo'd at WWDC apparently. :p

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Did Apple give them early access to Safari 5 or the Extension Developer Docs?

Panic and Steve Jobs have a history.

Panic was >this close< to being the developers of one of the world's most used app (iTunes) and missed out. Steve likes them and I wouldn't be surprised to see them making it big with Apple at some point.

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
I am excited about this extension... as of now I take a snapshot and bring it into PS, draw all over the image, save it, place it into an email.. this extension will really improve my workflow :D

Side rant... where is Coda 2!!!!!

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
This is a great time for browser tech. With HTML 5, and with strong competition from Firefox and Chrome, Safari has to work hard to keep up. We benefit from this.

I'm already a big fan of Safari Reader. Wow, what a difference it makes!

Dry Rot

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2009
Australia
That's looks really useful, but most clients I deal with use Windows (and Explorer I assume). Will be useful for my comments to agencies though.

philosopherdog

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008
This is a great time for browser tech. With HTML 5, and with strong competition from Firefox and Chrome, Safari has to work hard to keep up. We benefit from this.

I'm already a big fan of Safari Reader. Wow, what a difference it makes!

The readability bookmarklet is superior. You can do sticky fonts and sizes and control background color to some extent. But it's a start.

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
Wait, when did Safari 5 come out? Lol I'm off my game tonight. WHOA EXTENSIONS. That's my main reason for holding onto FireFox. That Web Developer Toolbar is killer. Safari needs one.

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
That's looks really useful, but most clients I deal with use Windows (and Explorer I assume). Will be useful for my comments to agencies though.

Your clients would receive an email containing an image of your notes... I also assume that Safari 5 for windows will allow for extensions and if they wanted to do the same they could download it and send you their notes.

dingamahoo

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2007
Am I alone in really liking Chrome, especially the way it does extensions?

I'm actually surprised that Apple is so far behind on this. On Chrome, for instance, the Google Voice extension is awesome. You can send text messages in seconds without ever having to leave the browser. The only thing holding Chrome back is 1Password compatibility.

I'd love to go back to Safari, though. But even with this update, I'm not sure its on par with Chrome.

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
are all extensions going to look like this? i would rather have buttons invoke side-drawers. i'll keep my Safari lean and mean.

1Password was just updated for Safari 5. You can either have their extension shown as a button in the browser toolbar or as a key icon in the menu bar. What I don't see is an option in the menu bar for editing/managing extensions.. seems like there should be.

I guess the best thing that we can do is tell the developers what we want/like. I agree, added toolbars is not something that I want but I also don't want to add a ton of icons to my top menu bar. Apple should have included an extensions menu option... they could have added an icon next to the bookmarks and top sites icons which would have taken us to a view of all the installed extensions.

gmcalpin

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2008
Somerville, MA
Panic was >this close< to being the developers of one of the world's most used app (iTunes) and missed out. Steve likes them and I wouldn't be surprised to see them making it big with Apple at some point.
Audion was so much better than iTunes was, back in the day!

They're a top-notch developer. I love Coda. I love Transmit. Fantastic support, too, when I do have (always minor) issues.

Chris Grande

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2003
The readability bookmarklet is superior. You can do sticky fonts and sizes and control background color to some extent. But it's a start.

It's actually built using Readability, no reason they couldn't add the ability to change the typeface down the road.

If you really want to change the typeface you could alter the CSS of the file located at:
Safari.app/Contents/Resources/Reader.html

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark

That was a *really* good read. Really recommended!

... Now I feel bad for being a SoundJam guy.. :( Man, was I mad the day iTunes was announced... For what it is worth, I didn't think iTunes surpassed SoundJam before v3~4..

Ed91

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2007

It sounds strange to say, but Panic make the best software I've ever had the pleasure to use. It's hard to describe just how awesome they are.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.