Panic Demos 'Coda Notes' Extension for Safari 5

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 7, 2010.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just hours after Apple released Safari 5 with support for extensions created by third-party developers, Panic has demoed 'Coda Notes', an extension allowing for website annotation and sharing.
    Panic notes that Coda Notes is buit entirely with JavaScript, HTML and CSS and was built in only four days. The extension is still considered a "quick and dirty" implementation, however, and Panic will continue to refine it before releasing it to the public.

[​IMG]

Article Link: Panic Demos 'Coda Notes' Extension for Safari 5

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Never mind, they just released it. In any case, let the extensions start flowing.

3. Marty Macfly macrumors regular

www.apple.com/safari

It's out now, unless that's not what you were talking about.

4. Jason S. macrumors 6502a

Did Apple give them early access to Safari 5 or the Extension Developer Docs?

EDIT: Nevermind. Just found out they demo'd at WWDC apparently. :p

5. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Wow - what a great tool! Let the innovation begin!

6. ipedro macrumors 601

ipedro

Panic and Steve Jobs have a history.

Panic was >this close< to being the developers of one of the world's most used app (iTunes) and missed out. Steve likes them and I wouldn't be surprised to see them making it big with Apple at some point.

7. Cougarcat macrumors 604

No innovation with search, unfortunately. :( The Extension doesn't let you touch the search field, so no Inquisitor. Major bummer.

8. zim macrumors 65816

zim

I am excited about this extension... as of now I take a snapshot and bring it into PS, draw all over the image, save it, place it into an email.. this extension will really improve my workflow :D

Side rant... where is Coda 2!!!!!

9. NebulaClash macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

This is a great time for browser tech. With HTML 5, and with strong competition from Firefox and Chrome, Safari has to work hard to keep up. We benefit from this.

I'm already a big fan of Safari Reader. Wow, what a difference it makes!

10. Dry Rot macrumors member

That's looks really useful, but most clients I deal with use Windows (and Explorer I assume). Will be useful for my comments to agencies though.

11. philosopherdog macrumors 6502a

philosopherdog

The readability bookmarklet is superior. You can do sticky fonts and sizes and control background color to some extent. But it's a start.

12. camomac macrumors 6502a

camomac

WOW!! that was LONG...

13. stagi macrumors 65816

stagi

14. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

I so want this. This will be an extremely useful tool. And I love Coda.

15. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

Wait, when did Safari 5 come out? Lol I'm off my game tonight. WHOA EXTENSIONS. That's my main reason for holding onto FireFox. That Web Developer Toolbar is killer. Safari needs one.

16. FightTheFuture macrumors 65816

FightTheFuture

are all extensions going to look like this? i would rather have buttons invoke side-drawers. i'll keep my Safari lean and mean.

17. zim macrumors 65816

zim

Your clients would receive an email containing an image of your notes... I also assume that Safari 5 for windows will allow for extensions and if they wanted to do the same they could download it and send you their notes.

18. dingamahoo macrumors member

Am I alone in really liking Chrome, especially the way it does extensions?

I'm actually surprised that Apple is so far behind on this. On Chrome, for instance, the Google Voice extension is awesome. You can send text messages in seconds without ever having to leave the browser. The only thing holding Chrome back is 1Password compatibility.

I'd love to go back to Safari, though. But even with this update, I'm not sure its on par with Chrome.

19. zim macrumors 65816

zim

1Password was just updated for Safari 5. You can either have their extension shown as a button in the browser toolbar or as a key icon in the menu bar. What I don't see is an option in the menu bar for editing/managing extensions.. seems like there should be.

I guess the best thing that we can do is tell the developers what we want/like. I agree, added toolbars is not something that I want but I also don't want to add a ton of icons to my top menu bar. Apple should have included an extensions menu option... they could have added an icon next to the bookmarks and top sites icons which would have taken us to a view of all the installed extensions.

20. gmcalpin macrumors 6502

gmcalpin

Audion was so much better than iTunes was, back in the day!

They're a top-notch developer. I love Coda. I love Transmit. Fantastic support, too, when I do have (always minor) issues.

21. Chris Grande macrumors regular

Chris Grande

It's actually built using Readability, no reason they couldn't add the ability to change the typeface down the road.

If you really want to change the typeface you could alter the CSS of the file located at:
    Safari.app/Contents/Resources/Reader.html

22. Yamcha macrumors 68000

23. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

That was a *really* good read. Really recommended!

... Now I feel bad for being a SoundJam guy.. :( Man, was I mad the day iTunes was announced... For what it is worth, I didn't think iTunes surpassed SoundJam before v3~4..

24. Ed91 macrumors 6502

It sounds strange to say, but Panic make the best software I've ever had the pleasure to use. It's hard to describe just how awesome they are.

25. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

Indeed they are!

Attached Files: