Panic! Just cracked my iPhone 3G screen! Chances of it growing?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheSpaz, Aug 12, 2009.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

So I was using the bathroom and I went to take my iPhone out when it suddenly starts falling out of my hand. Luckily I caught it on the way down, but as I was catching it, I smashed it face first into the side of the toilet HARD.

When I first looked at it, it looked like I only scratched the screen a little bit, but there's some tiny cracks and one of the cracks is about 3/16". What are the chances that this crack is going to grow bigger? Will it just stay like that?

I feel so lucky that I didn't completely smash the screen.

2. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I'll upload pics later... I'm currently at work.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

OMG, do you know how many millions of toilet germs are all over your phone now?

4. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

OMG, you know how many (more) millions of keyboard germs are on your fingers right now?

5. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Jeez, there's no way you're keeping that phone.

I don't even know why you asked if the crack will get bigger. You can't stand any imperfections, so it will eventually drive you to get rid of it. Sorry that happened to you. IPhones and toilets just don't get along.

7. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS (White, 32GB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Sounds to me like you're gonna have to get a new phone! And since there's no point in sticking with the slow-as-**** 3G, it looks like you're going to have to go with a 3GS. ;)

8. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

I bet the guys at the Apple store will look at you funny when you take it in and explain why your still running 2.2.1
    "Don't put 3.0 on my phone, its gonna move the bottom buttons in maps over 1px!"

9. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

Sorry partner, the honest answer to your question: "What are the chances that this crack is going to grow bigger?" = 100%. Its a crack. When have you known a crack not to get larger with wear an tear (not included, rear end).:D

Edit: Sorry, there is a crack that does not grow bigger over time, the kind you smoke, but thankfully Iphone users don't dabble in that! :)

10. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

I read this thread without reading the usernames, and was wondering why everybody was being so mean to OP. Then I figured out why.

Sorry to hear that happened TS. When I got my 3G, I dropped it and cracked the screen. It was pretty devestating. Hope your crack doesn't grow.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, sorry about the bad luck.

12. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Go to a Genius. Explain that you are TheSpaz. He'll probably know you from MR and feel pity for you, then give you a new phone.

13. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Now you know that's not true. If he knows him from MR, he'll hand him $600 and tell him to get a Pre or a Blackberry. Just sayin'.

14. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

Yep, sounds like its time to for Spaz to upgrade to 3.0.

;)

15. iNikon macrumors member

It will grow for sure. That's what happens when you take your phone to the bathroom with you.

16. lavinci macrumors 6502

17. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I ordered a new screen on eBay and installed it last night. No more cracks and scratches for me. Also, there's no light leak either.

18. samcraig macrumors P6

Well I know we'll all rest easier now!

19. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

Well, don't crack the new screen, and leave it in your pocket next time you pee...

That crack is bound to grow larger in time.

First, it'll grow beyond the confines of your iPhone's screen. The windows in your house will all start cracking as well. And it doesn't stop there.

Better warn the neighbors.

20. megapopular macrumors 6502a

Ummm..... PICS??? We're still waiting!! Before and after, if you would,
    please.

21. greenpaz macrumors member

My mom has had a crack on her iPhone screen for months. It hasn't gotten any bigger...

22. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Why? Sounds like the perfect opportunity for you to downgrade to a dumb phone so you can stop posting on the iPhone board.

23. serialtoon macrumors 6502a

serialtoon

Sorry to sound like a sadistic bastard, but can you take a pic of it? Perhaps with a camera in Macro mode (no one uses macro...i wonder why?) :D

24. bassjunky macrumors regular

I concur. While I am new to these boards, I don't understand the reputation this dude has, unless it's for being a whiny little girl.