Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MFDoom

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2009
Sorry for the dumb question. Could you use Transmit to replace the Dropbox sync app?

rpsmithii

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2010
Denver, CO
BYE BYE TRANSMIT...

May be in the minority - but I bought Transmit and loved it BECAUSE

1) it was on the APP store and synced via icloud. (now we have to use some other cloud service to keep track of)

2) when I reinstall my OS (which I do about every 3 months) it is right there in purchased software ready to go. No need to keep a binary and codes etc. I LOVE this about OmniGraffle -

TOO BAD - any suggestions for a software package on the App Store that WON'T ABANDON their customers?

iTunes store a rip? They would not have ever had a cut of my money in the first place. I only buy these apps on the store.
[doublepost=1500825489][/doublepost]
It sounds like you're happy with your sales and making a stand to not use the App Store is important to you. That's great. There are however thousands of other developers out there happy to give Apple a small cut because it means sales they never would have had without being listed in the App Store and it makes them far more money.

Well said.

Reactions: jb-net

RioBrewster

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2017
Panic today announced the launch of Transmit 5, the newest version of its popular Mac-based file transfer app. Transmit 5 is a massive update, introducing an improved UI, new features, additional servers, and a Panic Sync feature.

Am I the only person who HATES the new UI? It's way too busy.

The conflicts box is now a mess of different colors and fonts, and they've decided to buck convention AND common sense and set the active tab darker than the others.

If you are going to redesign a nice simple - if uninspiring - user interface, at least hire a designer that knows something about UI/UX.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Am I the only person who HATES the new UI? It's way too busy.

The conflicts box is now a mess of different colors and fonts, and they've decided to buck convention AND common sense and set the active tab darker than the others.

If you are going to redesign a nice simple - if uninspiring - user interface, at least hire a designer that knows something about UI/UX.

Have you sent them an email? Feedback, in any form, would be helpful.

Xray50

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2017
Puebla, Mexico
The only 2 things I know about this app are:
1.- They got hacked
2.- Its very expensive

The only thing I don't know about this app is:
Is not Transmit 5 very similar to StuffIt Deluxe Mac 16?

Or what part I am missing?

Tc

Reactions: jb-net

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
The only 2 things I know about this app are:
1.- They got hacked
2.- Its very expensive

Tc

1. Yes, their code was pried into. Since then, they have taken a lot of steps that it never happens again. It is quite shocking, the extent they have gone to, to ensure that any trespassers have a really hard time repeating the same, and I trust their efforts.

2. The notion of expensive is very subjective. If you need to occasionally get into a server via FTP or SSH, the tools built into Terminal will do just fine. However, the moment you want something more, and something with a GUI, Transmit begins to make sense.

Then, with the latest version 5, with its support for cloud services such as OneDrive/ OneDrive for Business, DropBox, Amazon AWS, etc., along with an already robust FTP/ SSH/ WebDAV client, the cost starts to become a no-brainer for many.

I have been their customer since version 4 and I have never had a moment where it disappointed me for anything that it promises to do. With version 5, the app has only become far more usable and necessary in my small briefcase of apps I use. The ability to fire up Transmit to transfer video files into Infuse on my iPhone or iPad, go to OneDrive and access my files, upload data to my web server, all with one app and in one click, is too good a deal at $45. It could easily have been $50, even $75, and I would have paid that price for it - simply because the app is that good.

And oh, Touch Bar support offers dynamic customisation options that really help (at least me). So, this is another huge plus in their favour. Again, at $45.

Transmit is just one of the many apps Panic offers. You might have heard of Coda, another solid, well-hailed app in the industry with a loyal following. Although, I perceive, if you have heard of Coda, you might surely have heard of Transmit, and since you have only known the hack, you surely do not know much about this longstanding company.

Do visit their website and see for yourself if they are able to change your opinion on the expensiveness quotient. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: simonmet and Xray50
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.