Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Panic today announced the launch of Transmit 5, the newest version of its popular Mac-based file transfer app. Transmit 5 is a massive update, introducing an improved UI, new features, additional servers, and a Panic Sync feature.

According to Panic, everything from the core file transfer engine to the "Get Info" experience was entirely rethought, overhauled, and improved, for an even better file management experience.

transmit5-800x578.jpg

For those unfamiliar with Transmit, it's designed to allow users to upload, download, and manage files on local and remote servers, turning file management into a simple drag-and-drop affair with a clean easy-to-use interface. Transmit 5 works with FTP, SFTP, WebDAV, and S3, and it connects to Backblaze B2, Box, Google Drive, DreamObjects, Dropbox, Microsoft Azure, and Rackspace.

The new version of Transmit also features Panic Sync, designed to offer a quick and safe way to sync sites and keep Panic data up to date across all apps and devices. Panic Sync is part of another major change - Transmit 5's absence from the Mac App Store.

Panic will not be releasing Transmit 5 in the Mac App Store, which, the company explains, is due to its inability to offer a demo through Apple's storefront. "This allows us to distribute a demo which we think is extremely helpful for people considering Transmit," reads an FAQ on the blog post announcing the release.

Panic says the company plans to "constantly re-evaluate" the Mac App Store and hopes to return at some point, presumably if Apple introduces a wider range of features for developers, such as free trials and demos.

Transmit 5 is priced at $35 for the next week, and after that, the price will go up to $45. There is no upgrade discount for customers who have purchased an earlier version of Transmit, but those who purchased Transmit 4 after June 1 can get a free update.

A free trial is available from the Transmit 5 website for those who would like to try Transmit before making a purchase.

Article Link: Panic Releases Transmit 5 With Major Improvements, but No Mac App Store Version

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
New UI looks great and faster performance is appreciated.

I would've liked to see expanded support for "classic" protocols (AFP, NFS, SMB).

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
Goes to show that MAS has been a mess for companies like this. Personally, I don't get software through the MAS because you can't do trials, paid upgrades, discount upgrades or the like. Plus I'd rather give my money to the developer AND get a discount since most dev's software I use are cheaper getting it directly from the dev.

KazKam

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2011
Looking forward to the better labels on tabs in the same window. I love Transmit 4, but if I have multiple vhosts on the same server in different tabs, the tab labels are indistinguishable.

I have no issue with them pulling out of the App Store. The App Store has always felt half-baked to me, and it infuriates me every time I have to use it for software updates. The old Software Update utility was so much nicer, IMHO.

X--X

Suspended
Jun 11, 2015
The new version of Transmit also features Panic Sync, designed to offer a quick and safe way to sync sites and keep Panic data up to date across all apps and devices.

I smell a subscription service coming very soon.

kinless

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2003
Tustin, California
I’m kind of annoyed by the lack of upgrade pricing. I just bought Transmit 4 in May smh

From their FAQ:

Q: What if I just bought Transmit 4?
A: We’ve got you covered! If you bought from us after June 1st (or maybe even a little earlier), grab your Transmit 4 serial number and go here. If you bought from the Mac App Store in that timeframe, please send us an e-mail and we’ll help you out.

With that little bit in the parenthesis, I would reach out to them and see if they'll make an exception for you...

HopefulHumanist

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2015
From their FAQ:

A: We’ve got you covered! If you bought from us after June 1st (or maybe even a little earlier), grab your Transmit 4 serial number and go here. If you bought from the Mac App Store in that timeframe, please send us an e-mail and we’ll help you out.

With that little bit in the parenthesis, I would reach out to them and see if they'll make an exception for you...
Cool, thanks a bunch man. I will email them and see if they can help me out.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
From their FAQ:

These guys most likely will. It is a robust app that I have used for over 5 years now. I will gladly upgrade. One of the few non-subscription apps that integrated nicely in a workflow when needed and stayed put when not. No heartaches of constant payment. Even at full price, the software earns its keep far quicker, now with cloud service integration - I am looking at finally using my OneDrive for Business storages for multiple emails as a simple drag drop solution!! Can't be more excited and happy about it!

Last edited:
Reactions: nrose101

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
I'm not surprised it's not on the Mac app store. Apples 30% cut on desktop software is really quite a lot for developers (of which I am one). You can take payments using Stripe easily and they will only take about 1.4%-2.9% of a sale so if you have an hour free to implement Stripe on your website you can keep the other 27.1%-28.5% that Apple would take.

Their 30% works on the iPhone because there's no way to sideload apps but on the Mac it doesn't work that way.

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Panic's a pretty awesome company. I have several of their apps for Mac and iOS; no complaints.

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
I'm not surprised it's not on the Mac app store. Apples 30% cut on desktop software is really quite a lot for developers (of which I am one). You can take payments using Stripe easily and they will only take about 1.4%-2.9% of a sale so if you have an hour free to implement Stripe on your website you can keep the other 27.1%-28.5% that Apple would take.

Their 30% works on the iPhone because there's no way to sideload apps but on the Mac it doesn't work that way.
30% is nothing as they will get way more exposure. My GF never reads random  blogs to get to know news like this, but she always clicks that Store icon in the dock, and quite often buys stuff.

And Panic should look how the Omni group deals with AppStore. I really like their free download and in-app purchases.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
30% is nothing as they will get way more exposure. My GF never reads random  blogs to get to know news like this, but she always clicks that Store icon in the dock, and quite often buys stuff.

And Panic should look how the Omni group deals with AppStore. I really like their free download and in-app purchases.

Honestly you could advertise better yourself with that 30% than what Apple gets you in the Mac App store. You can advertise on Google Adwords which will get you on Google Search, YouTube and various websites. People often search for what they want on a search engine and so being positioned there and on the websites relevant to your product is better.

The Mac App Store is very broken for developers with fees that just don't make sense. The store isn't a stand out success story like it is on iOS because it has competition, software obtained through the web browser.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
I wonder if they fixed a sync issue where it deletes passwords. Every time I do a fresh macOS install and reinstall Transmit, the sync process deletes all my passwords.

I've learned to export all my ftp accounts first and not rely on the sync feature to re download all my FTP accounts.

Belazor

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2013
I wonder if they fixed a sync issue where it deletes passwords. Every time I do a fresh macOS install and reinstall Transmit, the sync process deletes all my passwords.

I've learned to export all my ftp accounts first and not rely on the sync feature to re download all my FTP accounts.
This isn't Transmit doing that, that's the Keychain. Transmit 4 stored all passwords in Keychain (no idea if T5 does yet, but I assume so). When you do a fresh macOS install, you lose your existing (local) keychain - this keychain isn't sync'd with iCloud - and all passwords are lost.

If you back up your existing keychain before reinstalling, this won't happen :)

Reactions: macintoshmac

lmjabreu

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2015
This isn't Transmit doing that, that's the Keychain. Transmit 4 stored all passwords in Keychain (no idea if T5 does yet, but I assume so). When you do a fresh macOS install, you lose your existing (local) keychain - this keychain isn't sync'd with iCloud - and all passwords are lost.

If you back up your existing keychain before reinstalling, this won't happen :)

That’s Transmit, when you save something to the Keychain you can mark it to be synced. Why don’t they use KeyChain/iCloud is unknown, perhaps like 1Password they’re trying to justify their own sync service.

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
Sorry can't remember, is this a FTP thing or for Torrents? Also can't remember the last time I used either.

aliceyoung44

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2017
I like Transmit. But the thing that gets me is that one of their "features" is that they try to make it look just like Finder. And that's a problem, because it doesn't work exactly like Finder... it's an FTP client after all, not local storage. I have accidentally done things to remote servers that I mistook for the local filesystem. I prefer that it does NOT look like the Finder. Maybe version 5 has something to make it clear that it's not another Finder window.

Reactions: macintoshmac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.