Panicking, stupidity pt 2. NOW TOTALLY CONFUSED

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sanboro, Oct 12, 2009.

1. sanboro macrumors newbie

So,

I posted a thread some days ago, about me splashing some water on my new MPB unibody. I did something stupid later, like burning the keys while trying to dry the computer....

The saga continues..

I ordered the melted keys, i changed them.. that was easy.. just a bit of preassure on the keycaps and it was done.

Afterwards i waited 3 days with the computer in 8kgs of rice inside a tshirt taking out some of the water that could have been inside.

Now something weird. I turned it on 2 days ago, and it seemed to be fine. Working fine with lots of APPS open (mainly adobe and itunes, Airport ON, while streaming a movie... everything was fine for two complete days).

But i realized that the computer was acting funny with the charger. The light was dim green and Sometimes it shows the the battery and sometimes the charger. Then the battery died, and it went to sleep then when i woke it up it booted really slowly with a bar meassuring something and then accidentally i pulled the magsafe out and it died.

It died, no response at all. Just a dim green light on the Magsafe..then it was blinking then I reseted the SMC thingy and then it turned on again.. but its behaving erratic with the charger.

I am confused, panicked, tired... IF someone out there knows what to do, other than go to the shop again. Please let me know.

Please note, that the humidity sensors might have been triggered. So no guarantee.. it all seems to be the LB... but if someone out there has some uplifting comments or ideas please tell them.

PLEASE HELP.

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

The progress bar was "safe sleep" restoring from your HD. That happens if the battery is removed while the machine is sleeping.

You might get the Genius Bar to try another battery (unless, of course, it's a unibody built-in).

There could still be moisture on the Mag-Safe board. You could try just leaving it be for a while longer, but I can't think of much else you can do from outside the machine.

3. sanboro thread starter macrumors newbie

could it be the smc firmware?

does anyone know?
    i bought my mac 2 weeks ago. MBP 13 unibody.
    I am trying to know if its the firmware update, but before i do something stupid again, i would like to know if somebody out there knows about this thing.

worried macdaddy aka sanboro

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

5. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

Let me get this right, you spilt water, burnt, then stuffed your badboy in a bag of rice??? :(

6. gorn macrumors member

Rice absorbs water so it makes perfect since he let the computer dry out in there...

It sounds like either your battery or power board (or both) got damaged from the water. It's slightly possible it's just residue on the board that could be cleaned off with alcohol. But the intermittent issues suggest the battery, which if you look at might be swollen a bit.

7. sanboro thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah..

well the burned thing was due to the hairdrying device being on maximun. (panicking and the stupid hairdryer was damaged, having from 0 to 11 the only possibilities)

I am very carefull with computers, i had a PB 12" for 4 years and still works perfectly. It was just bad luck the splash of water was on the right side and mainly on the F keys, it was not a huge amount.

The bag of rice did help i hope. Since in many posts it was recomended because it dryes the moisture out.

I also checked the firmware updates and apparently the SMC of my computer matches the one described in the apple page. So my guess is that the computer is behaving erratically due to a failure on the SMC firmware.

I have to say that i cannot recall if the dim green light was before or after the splash. Didnt pay attention to that really... as i said i never had any issues with my mac.

I will take it anyway to the shop and check it. Hopefully something can be done.

By the way appart from that everything is ok, and the computer is up and running ok. Its just the erratical behavior of the charging and the battery.

Does the computer have a safety measure when the battery is malfunctioning? or damaged? like not recognizing it anymore?

after the SMC re-start there was no more intermitent light.

8. Donar macrumors 6502

Donar

CoCoNut Battery may tell you if your battery is ok. Have you removed the bottom plate for letting the thing dry?

9. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Honestly, it sounds like it's time to take your computer in and have it looked at.

The holistic method of computer diagnosis and repair is only going to get you so far, and at least if you have a Mac genius examine your machine you'll have a better idea of what's going on with it.

The folks on here can offer advice up to a point, but it sounds like so much has gone on with your machine that having someone in the know physically examine it is going to be much more helpful to you than having us try to diagnose it secondhand.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Since so much has happened to your computer, the only advice I can give is that you take it to apple. Maybe it is the firmware, maybe it was the hair driver cooking it, maybe the water. You really won't know and when anything wonky happens you'll be left wondering.

Take it to them this bad boy in and let them check it out.

11. LAS.mac macrumors 6502

I think the OP had the receipt upside down: you have to put MBP and rice together into water, then boil it. So you can make irisotto. :D

12. Fizzoid macrumors 68020

Fizzoid

Indeed! Bearing in mind you didn't do it any favors when using the hair dryer, it might be time to have someone have a look at it and see what's what.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

But at least it will be properly quaffed thanks to his hair drying it :D

14. sanboro thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah well, its in the shop they are doing the diagnosis.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

And a perm I hope :p