Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
extended memory, not 64-bit

Originally posted by Vlade
that should mean we should have 64 bit support when the g5s comes out

Most of the reports, including posting from Apple employees, have been saying that Panther will be a 32-bit system.

The operating system will support more than 4 GiB of RAM, but programs will be able to use only 4 GiB (or 2GiB) - same as now.

Extended memory support doesn't mean 64-bit support - Linux and Windows support up to 64 GiB on x86 processors today, but they are clearly 32-bit systems.

dguisinger

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
People are getting so much of this wrong regarding 64-bits.

What is a 64-bit operating system? Its a system with 64-bit memory pointers, and that uses 64-bit integers for most system calls. Obviously they are not going to rewrite Panther to 64-bit. Most function calls do not need 64-bit values passed.

They obviously have rewritten memory handling.....and disk IO already was 64-bit in block addressing.

Applications can use 64-bit integer math anytime they wish because its part of the standard PowerPC instruction set. As long as they are on a G5 the 64-bit code won't cause an exception.

I think people are running around complaining that its not a 64-bit OS when they have no idea what that means for them.

Absolutely Nothing

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Originally posted by dguisinger
What is a 64-bit operating system? Its a system with 64-bit memory pointers, and that uses 64-bit integers for most system calls.

The 64-bit memory pointers are the key. There's no need to promote all system integers to 64-bit integers, and in fact that would be counter-productive in many cases.

Some APIs would benefit, but as you say, even today on 32-bit Mac OS X you find that file and I/O systems use wider integers for file offsets and on-disk structures. (Without wider file offset values, you couldn't deal with files larger than 2 GB on a system with UNIX file semantics.)

Applications can use 64-bit integer math anytime they wish because its part of the standard PowerPC instruction set. As long as they are on a G5 the 64-bit code won't cause an exception.

ALthough probably true, very few applications use enough 64-bit integer arithmetic to go to the trouble of building special G5 images. The G4-compatible 64-bit integer arithmetic is more than fast enough, so why build and maintain 2 sets of application files?

(I say "probably" because I haven't found PPC970 programming documentation that clearly states that mixed-mode use of the integer registers (64-bits for integers, 32-bits for pointers) is permitted. The Motorola PPC 64-bit docs imply that enabling 64-bit integer arithmetic also enables 64-bit pointers. I'd welcome any links to PPC970 programming manuals.)

I think people are running around complaining that its not a 64-bit OS when they have no idea what that means for them.

Absolutely Nothing [/B]

True.

And other people are running around bragging that it *is* a 64-bit system when:

a) it's not

b) it means absolutely nothing to them (and their apps)

Apple marketing is a serious offender in this regard.... :D

Rincewind42

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2003
Orlando, FL
Re: extended memory, not 64-bit

Originally posted by AidenShaw
The operating system will support more than 4 GiB of RAM, but programs will be able to use only 4 GiB (or 2GiB) - same as now.

4GB - the application memory map is partitioned enough that you can only get about 1.75 contigous, but iirc all but about 1GB of an app memory space is free for non-system allocations.

Although probably true, very few applications use enough 64-bit integer arithmetic to go to the trouble of building special G5 images. The G4-compatible 64-bit integer arithmetic is more than fast enough, so why build and maintain 2 sets of application files?

(I say "probably" because I haven't found PPC970 programming documentation that clearly states that mixed-mode use of the integer registers (64-bits for integers, 32-bits for pointers) is permitted. The Motorola PPC 64-bit docs imply that enabling 64-bit integer arithmetic also enables 64-bit pointers. I'd welcome any links to PPC970 programming manuals.)

True, it does depend greatly on your application as to if native 64-bit ints will have a decided impact on your performance - I presume that those who would use it know who they are =).

But it is possible on the 970 to use 64-bit integer math without using 64-bit pointers. Apple has some technotes on how to access this from gcc.

TN2086
TN2087

And IBM's documentation on the 970 is available here: IBM PowerPC 970 Documentation

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
someone said USB in 10.2.7.
could that mean the lates G4s that had the USB2 chipsets or something could have USB2 because of this update?

3-22

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2002
G5 - Panther or Jaguar?

I'm still curious what they will do for us early G5 buyers when Panther is released. It's a shame I'll probably get Jaguar all setup only to wipe everything out with Panther a month or two later. (I'm new to OS X, can you upgrade the OS and not wipe out your pictures, music, settings, etc.?) Plus, will they charge me $129 on top of the thousands I just put out for my new system. Don't know, hopefully they will offer some kind of discount program for the G5's owners. I guess we'll see, my ship date on Apple still says 9/2. I wonder what kind of learning curve there will be between Jaguar and Panther.

sandsl

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2002
Re: G5 - Panther or Jaguar?

I'm new to OS X, can you upgrade the OS and not wipe out your pictures, music, settings, etc.?
Yes you can upgrade - all settings, music, pictures, documents etc remain.

Plus, will they charge me $129 on top of the thousands I just put out for my new system.
Maybe - depends when you buy the G5, if it comes with any coupons, Apple's up-to-date program etc. Wait and see, but be prepared to pay $129.

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
i think tat apple is making a lot of progress. it was a day or 2 ago that they askewd macmegasite to cease and desist of the pictures of 7B21, now we're at 7B28.
does this mean that they got through 7 more builds?

Builds are generally daily (certainly, Safari builds were). It takes a few days for a build to pass internal QA and be passed along to general external testers.

This is common practice in just about every corner of the software world.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Re: More Info on 10.2.7

Originally posted by daveL
OK, the actual release is not on ADC, only the seed note, at the moment. The note talks of various i/o (F/W, USB 2, etc.) updates. No mention of G5. I think the note is directed at current non-G5 (duh) owners, so the note just gives the updates relevant to existing systems.

I got torn to pieces when I said Apple would release 10.2.7 system-wide.

Generally the response was "Look idiot, 10.2.7 is for G5's only, nothing else. Now go away"

If only I could remember all their user names, I'd be sending PM's gloating :D

AppleMatt

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
So is Pather codenamed "Precious"? :D

"Precious" would be the G5.

Obscure question: who had the ring before Smeagol?

IMHO, "Smeagol" would be a better code-name for Panther than for 10.2.7 ... Panther isn't all 64-bit pretty yet either ...

chetwilliams

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2002
Originally posted by jettredmont

Obscure question: who had the ring before Smeagol?
Geek alert!

I believe Isildur had the ring before Smeagol. It brought about his death and was sometimes called Isildur's Bane. Could be wrong. Been a while since I read the books.

ryaxnb

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2003
Originally posted by dguisinger
very possibly different from the 10.2.7 build to be shipped on G5s. [/B]
Yes, but Apple probably won't make a 64-bit OS for a while, since apparently the 970 (G5) can run standard PPC programs at full speed. Remember how long it took of them to make a PPC-native OS (till OS 8 for Finder, OS 9 or so for complete system)?

ryaxnb

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2003
Re: G5 - Panther or Jaguar?

Originally posted by 3-22
(I'm new to OS X, can you upgrade the OS and not wipe out your pictures, music, settings, etc.?)
Yes, you can. Even if you do a "clean install" it keeps most of them.
BTW, I'm new to OS X too (less then 3 months!)

vrapan

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2003
UK
hmmm... I am new too but as far as I understand it this is how it goes.
You can do an Upgrade Install: This keeps everything on your system just updates pieces that need updating (Don't shoot people it is a very simplistic explanationa I know but it is intentional)

You can do an Archive and Install: This cleans just about everything apart from your settings and "archives" your user folder to a folder in your system from where you can use your files.

You can also do a Clean Install: This formats your HD so you lose your data. The only way you can preserve your data in this type of install is to make a backup on an external drive or a second HD in your system or a different partition than the one you are installing your MacOSX.

richard5mith

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2002
In order to be included in Panther, the latest release of Python had to be finished by August 1st. That might give you an idea of release dates.

Downloading the latest build now. Getting a good rate, will install it immediately and we'll see what's changed.

vrapan

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2003
UK
I haven't installed my 7B28 yet it is downloading but here is what I think about Panther release:

The 7B21 was a MAJOR improvement over 7A202. Stability performance several bugs. It seems from the list on the seed note that 7B28 is a major improvement as well. If they keep this pace they might have it ready sooner than later. Jobs said I think "before the end of the year". It seems like 3 months from now is a logical assumption and I wouldn't be surprised if it was earlier than that.

Having said that the system is still a long way from a release OS. There are still major bugs stability and performance issues not as much on the OS itself but in the applications accompanying it. Mail, safari,address, itunes and so on have problems and I wouldn't be surprised to see many more problems with 3rd party apps. On top of my head Roxio Toast, CandyBar and a few other apps I use are either broken or incredibly unstable. I will keep my prediction thought that by the end of October it should be selling.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Given that we haven't had time to evaluate 7B28, I think it's premature to declare what the current state of Panther is. I've been very impressed with this latest beta (I just finished a clean install).

If you look back in the archives, you'll see that mid-September has been the target date for Panther's release. Nothing has happened to indicate that has changed.

People keep going back to the "by the end of the year" statement, but as I've said before, Apple uses this expression all the time (iTMS for Windows, for example). It's just Apple's way of not giving out release dates in advance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.