Panther and DVD+R/+RW Support

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
There have been some loose reports over the past few weeks that the new versions of Panther fully support the DVD+R/DVD+RW format. (Not to be confused with DVD-R and DVD-RW formats)

Xlr8yourmac.com publishes some more reader reports confirming that the latest builds support +R/+RW media without any third party tools.

When Apple first launched the "SuperDrive", it was a Pioneer drive that supported DVD-R and DVD-RW media formats. Since that time, Apple has switched at least some of their drive mechanisms to more multifunctional drives -- which support both DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW. The most recently released G5 PowerMacs also contain an upgraded Pioneer drive capable of supporting both formats.

There has been some debate about which format is "better" -- but it appears both formats aremay be a reasonable choice, with DVD-R edging out DVD+R in one set of player compatibility tests. Meanwhile, DVD+R/RW claims to have better authoring support.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by ZildjianKX
Its about time. How about DVD-RW support?
DVD-RW support is already in Mac OS X. Just pop a DVD-RW disk in.

it doesn't work with iDVD though

arn

grahamtriggs

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2003
Re: Panther and DVD+R/+RW Support

Originally posted by Macrumors
There has been some debate about which format is "better" -- but it appears both formats aremay be a reasonable choice, with DVD-R edging out DVD+R in one set of player compatibility tests. Meanwhile, DVD+R/RW claims to have better authoring support.
What difference does 'better authoring support' make when you edit your movie files on your computer, and compose the entire DVD before burning it?

DanUk2003

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2003
Worthing, UK
Originally posted by arn

arn

Question:

Can the Finder erase a DVD-RW disk for reuse, or do you have to use a third-party App??

John Whitney

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2003
Originally posted by DanUk2003
Question:

Can the Finder erase a DVD-RW disk for reuse, or do you have to use a third-party App??
It's actually done through Disk Copy, not finder. Under the File menu, you'll see an "Erase CD/DVD-RW Disc..." option.

John

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
As the DVD- Vs DVD+ Vs DVD battle rages on!

The winner will fight:
'Red-Laser DVD' Vs 'Blue-Laser DVD' Vs 'Green-laser DVD'.

I'm serious, that is too many formats.

Some will be killed off.
It is necessary.

greenstork

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2003
Seattle,WA
Originally posted by arn

arn
I have a quick question and forgive my naivety. Is there any danger of storing something long-term on DVD+RW/DVD-RW? Like a backup for instance. Presently, I like the permanance of DVD-R but I would rather have rewritable abilities.

mdntcallr

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2000
This is a big deal

Friends,

This is a big deal, it is not just about authoring on DVD+R / RW, there is very little playback ability across the entire Apple lines for DVD+r media.

I know this first hand. I have a whole library of burned DVD+R media. Many of the DVD+R drives you have seen are out there, ie the new TV VCR like Recordable drives are all in this format.

Even the new Pioneer Tivo / DVD recordable is DVD+R.

The news is that these discs will not playback on the vast majority of Apple products.

Well, hopefully this will get fixed in this update. this is a big bug!!!!

iLife

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2003
SF Bay Area / Miami FL
I see this as a really good move on apples part, because being able to both author and read a broader range of media just plain makes "our" lives much easier. :D

you can correct me if i'm wrong...

i remember from my DVD authoring class that Pioneer developed the DVD- standard and that Sony and a couple of other companies later developed the DVD+ sandard.

both formats are playable on DVD players that conform to DVD standard 1.0 which came out a little while ago.

But you can't read one format on a another drive unless they're compatible... so if someone composes DVD+ discs on a G5 and tries to play then on a G4 its not going to work.

ClimbingTheLog

macrumors 6502a
May 21, 2003
Mt. Ranier?

Let's hope this means Panther supports packet writing. We haven't had a packet writer on MacOS since Adaptec failed to update DirectCD for Mac OS 9.

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
Re: Mt. Ranier?

Originally posted by ClimbingTheLog
Let's hope this means Panther supports packet writing. We haven't had a packet writer on MacOS since Adaptec failed to update DirectCD for Mac OS 9.
I hope you wrote Adaptec saying there is demand for packet writing in Mac OS X. Here's their feedback link:

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/co...pany/About+Adaptec&prodkey=company_csfeedback

It appears Adaptec took over Toast. That may explain why DirectCD was never updated, but then again, you could ask for it to be a feature added to Toast.

grahamtriggs

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2003
Re: This is a big deal

Originally posted by mdntcallr
This is a big deal, it is not just about authoring on DVD+R / RW, there is very little playback ability across the entire Apple lines for DVD+r media.

I know this first hand. I have a whole library of burned DVD+R media. Many of the DVD+R drives you have seen are out there, ie the new TV VCR like Recordable drives are all in this format.
Really?

I have a G4 PowerMac with a Philips combo drive, and I have just successfully tested a DVD+R burnt on a Philips DVD recorder (standalone).

See next post...

grahamtriggs

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2003
Originally posted by iLife
i remember from my DVD authoring class that Pioneer developed the DVD- standard and that Sony and a couple of other companies later developed the DVD+ sandard.

DVD+ was developed by Sony and Philips (there are a couple of other companies signed up to the standard, although I think they are just supporters rather than developers).

both formats are playable on DVD players that conform to DVD standard 1.0 which came out a little while ago.
Providing you finalise the disc.

But you can't read one format on a another drive unless they're compatible... so if someone composes DVD+ discs on a G5 and tries to play then on a G4 its not going to work.
Not true... you need to finalise the disc. If you don't finalise it, then it probably won't work. If you finalise it, then it should do.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Re: Re: Mt. Ranier?

Originally posted by gopher
It appears Adaptec took over Toast. That may explain why DirectCD was never updated, but then again, you could ask for it to be a feature added to Toast.
Adaptec made Toast for the Mac and Easy CD Creator for the PC. Now it's Roxio, which was a division of Adaptec that was spun off into it's own company. Or something like that. As far as I know, they always have.

I don't know about "packet writing" support (a la XP), but it does support better muti-session burning than OS X's built-in burners. Not too sure about drag-and-drop type stuff. Never had to use it on either platform, but I guess it could come in handy.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Originally posted by MrMacman
As the DVD- Vs DVD+ Vs DVD battle rages on!

The winner will fight:
'Red-Laser DVD' Vs 'Blue-Laser DVD' Vs 'Green-laser DVD'.

I'm serious, that is too many formats.

Some will be killed off.
It is necessary.
I agree, this is just too confusing for consumers. I guess time will just show whatever which one wins out. But is seems likes many companies are covering themselves by offering DVD+/-RW drives

ClimbingTheLog

macrumors 6502a
May 21, 2003
Re: Re: Mt. Ranier?

Originally posted by gopher
I hope you wrote Adaptec saying there is demand for packet writing in Mac OS X.
When they failed to support OS9 there was a huge campaign to get it supported (reportedly only a small change was required). I'm not sure if they issued a written response, but they knew about the demand and their response was clear from their actions (none).

I'm not sure if Roxio is in a position to implement something like this as it's a derivative of the UDF filesystem and Apple owns that driver.

I figured it was a no-brainer once Macs lost floppies and gained CD-RW, then Mt. Ranier abandoned CD-RW and Macs gained DVD-R's - DVD-/+RW is where the action is at - here's hoping for some happy convergence.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.