Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac4me

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2003
Live from SoHo

Live from the line in front of the SoHo store: 10% off any mac or buy Panther and save 10% off anything else. Employees are already walking the line giving out sweepstakes entry forms.

Elan0204

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago, IL
Re: Live from SoHo

Originally posted by mac4me
Live from the line in front of the SoHo store: 10% off any mac or buy Panther and save 10% off anything else. Employees are already walking the line giving out sweepstakes entry forms.

So any word on the freebie they're giving away just for showing up? Can you confirm the Dog Tags?

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Well I'm new here and I've had my Panther OS for over 4 hrs now and I love it. Someone complained that fast user switching took up to 5mins. I don't know what he was doing but mine took all of maybe 10 seconds. I've had 4 people logged on at the sametime and 10.3 remember where everything is still at when I switch back.

Oh yeah Mail can now connect up with exchange server so you don't have to use MS entourage anymore like I was doing.

UI on my Powerbook a Titanium G4 1Ghz with 512mb of ram seems to alot faster probably about 20-25% faster. If any of you guys got questions ask me.

The Xcode Developers Tool CD is just awsome you can program anything with it!!

djdidz

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2003
London
London sucks. Why are we 3rd class mac citizens in UK ?

Nothing from the apple centre in Oxford St either. In fact we had to queue outside for 30 mins in the cold whilst we watched the staff meet and greet 'vip's with wine and food who all had sneak previews

When the doors opened we were whisked to the sales desk, £100 please and that was it, off you go. Thats a really great way of making people who've come and queued outside your store feel special. That's any future orders from me going to another supplier.

Originally posted by evil_santa
Nothing from Micro Anvika in London.UK !

Originally posted by utkucan
oh why am i not surprised... :(

kirk26

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
West Virginia
Originally posted by rodnarms
If you want Panther quicker you should have ordered it from the online store. I got mine delivered this morning.

Just installed now. Very slick. They did a lot of work since the WWDC version.

Not as fun as sitting outside with all the other geeks with their laptops browsing and talk about Mac stuff. Just got my 10% coupon.

latergator116

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2003
Providence, RI
I was considering going, but how many people will realistically be there? Like 3 people showed up for their music event last week. I don't want to be standing there with 2 or 3 other geeks with 10 apple store employees. Is this event really that big?

I have been to that apple store a few times and it seems dead. I was always the only one there. In fact, that mall seems dead.

pualo

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2003
I just stopped by the University of Oregon bookstore which is hosting an event tonight, and an employee told me that students would be able to buy copies of Panther for just $15! Not sure if this happening other places or not.

AnotherMortal

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2003
Baltimore
Not there

I'm being a good student and doing the homework I procrastinated earlier in the semester. But I'm updating my Blog with some links, info, and such in a palsy blatent slashdot/macrumor's style ripoff.

Besides, the real fun starts tomorrow when I get my G4 Cube....mmm.

degrush

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2003
10% plus edu discount?

mac4me, do you know if the coupon can be added on top of an educational discount?

halabar

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
So, If we buy a G5 with the discount tonight, do they give us Panther?.... or do we still have to pay for Panther?.....

IF we still have to pay for it, I'll wait until it ships with the systems....

mac4me

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2003
Don't know about the discount on top of educational discount, nor if you "get" panther if you buy a G5.

Doors are opening...

mac4me

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2003
halabar, if you have to pay for a panther upgrade with a G5 purchase, it's probably only $20, like everyone who bought machines in the past month paid.

AnotherMortal

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2003
Baltimore
Panther with G5

I was under the impression that all new machines are being shipped with Panther, or if you bought a Mac since like, Oct 10th or something, you can get a free upgrade to Panther.

mac4me

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2003
Dog Tags -- Confirmed

Yep, they are giving out dog tags. The employees are putting them in the bag when you buy Panther. No word yet if the tags are available with no purchase, or just any purchase, or if you have to buy Panther, or you can buy the tags separately.

balconycollapse

Cancelled
Aug 7, 2003
The dog tags are so the authorities can identify your body after Panther gores you nonstop with 150+ new features.

That or your new G5 blasts you through the wall.

digital1

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2002
Wisconsin
I find myself at my local apple store awaiting something to happen. There is currently a very short line outside of the store.Hopefully something fun will happen. I will keep you guys updated ;)

halabar

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
Re: Panther with G5

Originally posted by AnotherMortal
I was under the impression that all new machines are being shipped with Panther, or if you bought a Mac since like, Oct 10th or something, you can get a free upgrade to Panther.

But then you'd still have to pay another $20 plus tax.

So will it be included tonight?.... anyone on the East Coast able to answer?....

jkhanson

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2003
Re: 10% plus edu discount?

Originally posted by degrush
mac4me, do you know if the coupon can be added on top of an educational discount?

I just got off the phone with the store in Novi, Michigan. It's either the educational discount or 10% off, whichever is better.

mac4me

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2003
some people can't wait...

In SoHo, there are folks in the theatre (standing room only) and at the genius bar installing Panther. I guess they didn't want to wait to get home to do the install...

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
Panther Preview Video...

I just watched the Panther Preview Video on Apple.com. This has to be one of the dorkiest videos that Apple has ever produced; Omar? Is he just a little "too cool?"

Let's hope he doesn't become an official spokesperson for Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.