Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TigerPRO

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2003
Wisconsin
spyder22 said:
Hey, TigerPRO what's that cool little weather app you have in those screen shots?
It's a program called "konfabulator". You can download it at: http://konfabulator.com/

The application runs other mini-programs called widgets. That particular weather thing come as a default widget. So just download konfabulator, and you'll have all you need to get it running.

TigerPRO

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2003
Wisconsin
spyder22 said:
Groovy, thanks!
It is by far, one of my favorite Mac OS X apps! But some people like to shun it because they think there are to many clock widgets. I think it's great!

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
TigerPRO, have you had any problems with konfublator? I've heard that whenevr anyone has been having OS crashes or app crashes they have isolated the cause to be something to do with that program. Does it mess around a lot with the system? I'm overly cautious to the point of being paranoid by messing my up my perfectly running system. I'm nervous to try it out.

TigerPRO

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2003
Wisconsin
johnnyjibbs said:
TigerPRO, have you had any problems with konfublator? I've heard that whenevr anyone has been having OS crashes or app crashes they have isolated the cause to be something to do with that program. Does it mess around a lot with the system? I'm overly cautious to the point of being paranoid by messing my up my perfectly running system. I'm nervous to try it out.
In answer to your question, no, I haven't had any system related problems; and I've been using it for almost a year now. So I think I can confidently tell you that it won't "mess up" your system. It's completely self existent. All it really does is create a folder on your hard drive with the default widgets in it. Other than that, I don't think it modifies the system in any way.

And dude, don't forget, Mac OS X is not like windows, where the more programs you install, the slower and less stable it becomes. I've installed over 600 programs on my installation of Mac OS X, and haven't felt a thing. Again, with windows I'd be reloading the OS every 6 months to keep the system clean and running normally. But my OS is still running smooth as silk, I've never had to do that. The only apps I'm really weary about are those "theme changers", and other similar "hacking" programs.

On downside to konfabulator is that it's not a free program. I mean you can download is and use it for free, but there is a window that floats on your desktop constantly that you can't get rid of. And one of the latest revisions to the program prohibits you from dragging it off screen (which is what I normally would do). But there was one version (1.5.2) that let you close the window down completely! It must have been a bug, because in the next upgrade, it was gone. So I'm still using the outdated 1.5.2 because I hate that window. It's really worth it to buy the program though. I just have a policy of not buying programs on the internet. Everything I use is free. Of course I do buy professional software, I just mean I don't pay for these little shareware apps. If I bought every one I liked and used, I'd go broke. So freeware suits me just fine. There's allot of it.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
The program is all right, I think the big problem some may be having where it becomes unstable is when they update OS X and don't stay on top of the Konfab updates. It's pretty picky about OS X updates so if you were to update to 10.3.3 it could become really flakey until it gets updated as well.

adamjay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2004
Indianapolis
i think its a great program... i love the currency exchange rate widgets, traffic widgets, famous quotes widgets, and of course the weather widgets.

i did run xbench to see if it had affected my performance in any way by running it in the background... and i lost 3 points. but that's nothing really, and your mileage may very. i've just become an xbench addict lately and love to see which background app'z affect the system. konfab seems extremely effecient on Panther.

i want to make a widget that alerts mac users to every new release of a windows worm/virus. and the Alert will be Nelson from the Simpson's saying "ha-ha".......
sorry, i'll go sit in the corner now.

TigerPRO

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2003
Wisconsin
adamjay said:
i think its a great program... i love the currency exchange rate widgets, traffic widgets, famous quotes widgets, and of course the weather widgets.

i did run xbench to see if it had affected my performance in any way by running it in the background... and i lost 3 points. but that's nothing really, and your mileage may very. i've just become an xbench addict lately and love to see which background app'z affect the system. konfab seems extremely effecient on Panther.

i want to make a widget that alerts mac users to every new release of a windows worm/virus. and the Alert will be Nelson from the Simpson's saying "ha-ha".......
sorry, i'll go sit in the corner now.
I would eagerly be interested in a copy of that widget if you ever finish it. So get out of that corner and get to work!

TigerPRO

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2003
Wisconsin
Since we are on the topic of interfaces. This is for you old mac user: is it true that nobody liked the aqua interface of OS X when it first came out? I wasn't around (a mac user then), but I assume that such an abrupt change must have been met with an extreme revolt. Are any of you still anti-ten interface people?

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
TigerPRO said:
Since we are on the topic of interfaces. This is for you old mac user: is it true that nobody liked the aqua interface of OS X when it first came out? I wasn't around (a mac user then), but I assume that such an abrupt change must have been met with an extreme revolt. Are any of you still anti-ten interface people?

not really as there were a lot of people that raved about it and there were also many themes for os9 to make it look like x.

stevietheb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2004
Houston
n00b

I've got Backlight running with a matrix screensaver running at 15% opacity so that it looks like the code is creating my desktop. I'm a dork.

How do I take a screenshot?

TigerPRO

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2003
Wisconsin
stevietheb said:
n00b

I've got Backlight running with a matrix screensaver running at 15% opacity so that it looks like the code is creating my desktop. I'm a dork.

How do I take a screenshot?
DUDE! I have to try that...

stevietheb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2004
Houston
Here's my ubergeeky matrix desktop.

Anyone know of a good site for free screensavers? (I'm poor after buying this iBook)

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 117
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.