Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Not everyone is on a fast connection, and those who are still don't want to download unwanted things. It's just courtesy, nothing more.

AppleMatt

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
Originally posted by AppleMatt
Not everyone is on a fast connection, and those who are still don't want to download unwanted things. It's just courtesy, nothing more.

AppleMatt

So was my proposal. I just wanted to show you an option because it's possible that you didn't want PDFs because you can't load them in your browser. If it's all about filesize, then crees! seems to be right.

F/reW/re

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2001
Norway
Update doesn't fix my problems!

I still can't view html mails in Mail.
Safari still stops loading webpages halfway loaded.

iBook Dual USB, 384 RAM.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
For those considering installing Panther;

I have noticed that it doesn't handle upgrades too well yet, and the machines I have performed an upgrade on have all needed a clean installation.

Problems range from missing applications, applications failing to lauch, applications crashing and unexpectedly closing. Also there were a number of System Preferences issues.

A clean installation solved all of these.

AppleMatt

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Seeding

About an hour after I posted here yesterday, I received my ADC mailing. It has the same SW that was given out at WWDC. So there coming at you! The bit about being registered in ADC by 6/23 does not appear to be accurate, since I didn't purchase my Select membership until 6/30.

jimthorn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2003
Huntington Beach, CA, USA
Did the iChat version number change after the update? If so, it would suggest that a new beta will be available soon for 10.2. I'm hoping this is the case, since many bugs have already been discovered, and Apple is using it to promote the iSight.

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
Originally posted by F/reW/re
Update doesn't fix my problems!

I still can't view html mails in Mail.
Safari still stops loading webpages halfway loaded.

iBook Dual USB, 384 RAM.

maybe you should use an officially released nonbeta OS then?

MacKid

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2003
Re: screenshot

Originally posted by jg3
Please let's not post PDFs without noting that that's what they are - especially if they don't give any more information than the post itself. 'Preciate it.

Whoa, calm down!

Why are you getting so worked up?

It was 40+KB! Do you have a 14.4k modem or something?:rolleyes: :confused:

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by Heart Break Kid
did the update adress the issue of the backlit keyboard on the 17" AL?

i know it does not work in panther anymore when it was first released

There are some issues w/ it, mainly pertaining to the new settings in System Preferences for the light sensors.

It doesn't appear as if this update addresses that, if it's still an issue.

Rincewind42

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2003
Orlando, FL
Originally posted by AppleMatt
I have noticed that it doesn't handle upgrades too well yet, and the machines I have performed an upgrade on have all needed a clean installation.

Problems range from missing applications, applications failing to lauch, applications crashing and unexpectedly closing. Also there were a number of System Preferences issues.

I didn't have any of these problems. However, if your Panther installation has noticed any files from a Jaguar installation it (or more notably vice versa) then the wrong version may be launching. My upgrade went smooth as silk.

beg_ne

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2003
Re: Re: screenshot

Originally posted by MacKid
Whoa, calm down!

Why are you getting so worked up?

It was 40+KB! Do you have a 14.4k modem or something?:rolleyes: :confused:

I agree, don't see what the big deal was.

I guess for some of us life is too short to get pissy about a widely used, standard format thats available on just about every electroic device known to man that can display an image, albeit used in a slightly strange manner...and for others it isn't. ;)

The Grimace

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2002
Bend, OR
Re: Re: Re: screenshot

Originally posted by beg_ne
I agree, don't see what the big deal was.

I guess for some of us life is too short to get pissy about a widely used, standard format thats available on just about every electroic device known to man that can display an image, albeit used in a slightly strange manner...and for others it isn't. ;)

It's about consideration. How much more diffucult would it have been to type "PDF" than "Screenshot"? Not only would there have been less work (fewer keys pressed), it would have been more informative and intuitive.

I agree with the original request. I opened the link in another tab, but when I clicked on it, it wasn't there. So then I gotta go looking for the PDF. Then I gotta wait for Acrobat to load (It's quicker than Preview or Acrobat Viewer). Someone suggested a plug-in. Well, that's great for future reference, but means squat right now.

And yes, I have broadband, so it downloaded in a heartbeat. That's not the point. The point is about accurately conveying infomation.

Ok, rant is over now.

(tig)

henryblackman

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2002
Seeding

DaveL, please read the seeding email you have... second paragraph with regards to the date. All Select members will likely get this email, but not necessarily the CDs - otherwise why would that paragraph be in there.

Of course I sincerely hope you do get the CDs. Otherwise your purchase of ADC Select might have been in vain.

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
Re: Re: Re: Re: screenshot

Originally posted by The Grimace
It's about consideration. How much more diffucult would it have been to type "PDF" than "Screenshot"? Not only would there have been less work (fewer keys pressed), it would have been more informative and intuitive.

I agree with the original request. I opened the link in another tab, but when I clicked on it, it wasn't there. So then I gotta go looking for the PDF. Then I gotta wait for Acrobat to load (It's quicker than Preview or Acrobat Viewer). Someone suggested a plug-in. Well, that's great for future reference, but means squat right now.

And yes, I have broadband, so it downloaded in a heartbeat. That's not the point. The point is about accurately conveying infomation.

Ok, rant is over now.

(tig)

Well as pdf is a native format in Mac OS X, there's always the possibility that a screenshot is in fact a pdf. So I don't know why this isn't accurate. And what is wrong about a plugin? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.