Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

001645-parallels6a_500.jpg
TUAW reports on one reader spotting the retail packaging for Parallels 6 at a local Fry's store:No official announcement from the virtualization mavens at Parallels, but it appears that the next version of the company's Mac app for Windows virtual machines is already popping up at retail. Sharp-eyed reader Matthew Fern snapped this shot of Parallels Desktop 6 already on sale at Fry's Electronics in Roseville, CA.Version 6 hasn't yet been officially announced yet, but apparently is undergoing testing. So, if you were on the market for a virtualization client, it may be best to wait a bit longer.

Article Link: Parallels 6 Prematurely Appears on Store Shelves

ghostface147

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2008
9to5MAc bought a copy, but had to take the post down.
They said it had full aero support, and was a little bit faster along with other things I don't remember.

Parallel is good and all, but I am just more at home with Fusion. Nothing will get me to go to brand x.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
They said it had full aero support, and was a little bit faster along with other things I don't remember.

nice! P5 was an inmense improvement and was better at everything than VMware (before P5, VMware was the better one), and if P6 is even faster then even better!!:) what was the name of the title of the post, maybe it's still cached w/ google?

EDIT: here is what they wrote according to a comment on 9to5:
Parallels 6 for Mac is yet to be announced but has already hit some retailers in the U.S, and we’ve got our hands on the features:

-Supports Aero, Vista, and Windows 7
-Acronis true image support
-2x faster graphics support, faster file access, faster network connections, faster Windows startups, faster access to files on a network, and its faster than VMWare Fusion.
-Easy Windows Backups
-Better, Faster, Stronger gaming performance
-Windows and Mac security software included
-Easy migration to virtual machines
-Parallels Transporter is now a built-in, integrated feature in Parallels 6 versus a separate, stand alone application in Parallels 5.
-Support for 5.1 surround sound on Windows
-Spotlight, Spaces, and Expose support
-90 day money back guarantee (may depend on retail location?)
-Parallels 6 will cost $79.99, which was the old price of Parallels 5.

Here’s the big one:
-Parallels iPad app. As you may know, Parallels currently offers an iPhone/iPod touch app to access files and such remotely, but according to the back of the box, it works with the yet to be released iPad app as well. It also appears (we may get this one wrong) that the iPhone/iPod touch app will be enhanced for greater file access. We’ll have to see and we’re still wondering when this thing’s getting announced for real.

Requirements: 1GB of Ram (2 GB recommended), 450 MB hard drive minimum, 10.5 Leopard or 10.6 Snow Leopard, an internet connection, and of course a Windows OS disc.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN

I got asked to beta test version 5 so I was surprised to see this version out so soon. But when I checked the version history, it does seem like this is on time. I guess we will have to wait until tuesday.

psionic001

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2006
Gives me the ***** how they require you to pay for an update every 6 months. Well it may not be 6 months but that's what it feels like. :mad:

jedijoe

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Boulder, CO
Parallels has such bad customer service, virtually no upgrade pricing.. I think both VMWare Fusion and VirtualBox are better deals for their own reasons. I had parallels v2 and never bothered to upgrade because of the upgrade pricing BS.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G4
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Acronis true image support

This ALONE would make our IT department extremely happy as many of our consultants coming from South America tend to use Mac's and use Boot Camp. With a standard image for our Windows XP and soon Win7 this would be a HUGE boost and provide better support since we're still a windows environment. iPads are beginning to show up around the office - some odd 5-10 already amongst 200+ users.

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
Parallels has such bad customer service, virtually no upgrade pricing.. I think both VMWare Fusion and VirtualBox are better deals for their own reasons. I had parallels v2 and never bothered to upgrade because of the upgrade pricing BS.

The upgrade to 5 was around half price. They sent an email every day for like 6 months. I mean, what do you want exactly?

NT1440

Contributor
May 18, 2008
Gives me the ***** how they require you to pay for an update every 6 months. Well it may not be 6 months but that's what it feels like. :mad:
They literally force you to update?

That can't be legal can it? ;)

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN

Version 5 was released almost 1 year ago, the previous version about a year before that. I have seen faster upgrades, but VM ware has been upgrading on a similar schedule.

They do offer breaks on their pricing - they offered free upgrades for people who bought before a certain date and they offer breaks for upgrades. I don’t have any examples, but I have seen emails and other updates. VMware is also the same price as Parallels. Both of these guys offer a much better product than VirtualBox anyway.

Anyway, it’s not like they are obligated to provide upgrades or anything...

Parallel is good and all, but I am just more at home with Fusion. Nothing will get me to go to brand x.

I wouldn’t call them “brand X” since they beat VMware to the Mac Virtualization market by a whole year and the company has been around since 1999 - About one year after VMware. They have been around for awhile. They are lesser known, but that’s probably because Parallels is a Swiss based company while VMware is based in California.

I’ll grant you that they are smaller, but they aren’t exactly “brand X"

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
LOL, what baffles me is how this gets on to the shelf in retail packaging when most of the forums say it's still in early beta.. lol... just goes to show how just because it comes in a cute box on the shelf, doesn't mean it's well-tested (microsoft!!!!)

;-)

inkhead

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2005
Why the hell do people use Parallels? It's based on QTApp, It's not even a real OS X Cocoa application. You know what that means? It's also slow, it has terrible USB support, and can't do things like say be used to update the firmware on a windows only updated via usb.

It's a piece of crap that installs tons of hidden files, the way it access bootcamp partitions it awful as well, if it crashes it can leave your partition screwed because it actually inserts stuff into the boot record of the partition…

Use VMware fusion, it was written by former apple employees, and actual people who know how to use xcode and make things like "GASP" ALL USB devices 100% supported just like they would be in real windows…

Not to mention the hacking they do to OS X kernel (Parallels) to get it to work with multiple processors. If you want to screw up your mac os x machine, It's like installing APE or something go right ahead and use parallels, which is coded by a russian crew who used to write OS/2 software.

VMware Fusion is code checked by the NSA to insure security with VMs because they actually use it.

Parallels doesn't properly sandbox your stuff, so a windows virus on bootcamp through parallels could VERY easily wipe out all your mac stuff too.

That won't happen on Fusion…

tcampb01

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2005
Or... don't wait

I've used numerous versions of Parallels (v2, 3, & 4) before finally giving up on them.

USB support was poor (many devices didn't work under Parallels, but worked fine under VMware or VirtualBox).

The product has a very messy install -- scattering components all over the filesystem. It can't be neatly un-installed and requires Parallels un-installer... which isn't very stable and tightly tied to a single version of OS X (i.e. if you buy Parallels, install it, then upgrade the version of OS X, don't expect to be able to un-install it.)

Upgrading Parallels itself triggered Windows to think it had been copied to a new computer and required a re-validation of the Windows license key (which can only be used a limited number of times before it's invalid).

I have never had issues like this from VMware or VirtualBox. Product support from Parallels was non-existent. This is a shame because back in the Parallels v2 days, they had outstanding customer support.

When friends & colleagues ask for product recommendations for virtualization, I suggest either VirtualBox (which is free) or VMware -- but specifically suggest avoiding Parallels.

andy721

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2007
FL
Parallels 6 for Mac is yet to be announced but has already hit some retailers in the U.S, and we’ve got our hands on the features:

-Supports Aero, Vista, and Windows 7
-Acronis true image support
-2x faster graphics support, faster file access, faster network connections, faster Windows startups, faster access to files on a network, and its faster than VMWare Fusion.
-Easy Windows Backups
-Better, Faster, Stronger gaming performance
-Windows and Mac security software included
-Easy migration to virtual machines
-Parallels Transporter is now a built-in, integrated feature in Parallels 6 versus a separate, stand alone application in Parallels 5.
-Support for 5.1 surround sound on Windows
-Spotlight, Spaces, and Expose support
-90 day money back guarantee (may depend on retail location?)
-Parallels 6 will cost $79.99, which was the old price of Parallels 5.

Here’s the big one:
-Parallels iPad app. As you may know, Parallels currently offers an iPhone/iPod touch app to access files and such remotely, but according to the back of the box, it works with the yet to be released iPad app as well. It also appears (we may get this one wrong) that the iPhone/iPod touch app will be enhanced for greater file access. We’ll have to see and we’re still wondering when this thing’s getting announced for real.

Requirements: 1GB of Ram (2 GB recommended), 450 MB hard drive minimum, 10.5 Leopard or 10.6 Snow Leopard, an internet connection, and of course a Windows OS disc.

chuckles:)

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2006
CANADA
I just bought version 5 a few weeks ago... the pain of windows combined with torment of virtualization is almost unbearable. Not sure if version 6 (which I think i might have a free upgrade to) will be any better.

iBunny

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2004
I have been using parallels since v 4 and its been nothing short of awesome. I dont want to reboot when I need windows and what is even better is its always been fast for me. Awesome speed, awesome USB support.

Used on MBP 2.8GHz C2D, 4GB Ram, 512MB 9600 GT and now on a MBP i7 2.66GHz, 8GB Ram, 512MB 330M GT.

And always used either XP SP3 or Win 7.

I will immediately purchase v 6. :D

dru`

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2004
USA
I just bought version 5 a few weeks ago... the pain of windows combined with torment of virtualization is almost unbearable. Not sure if version 6 (which I think i might have a free upgrade to) will be any better.

Your mistake was in buying Parallels. :( Virtual Box (free) or VMWare Fusion (commercial) are much faster and more reliable in my experience. I was sorry I ever upgraded to version 5 of Parallels. It's so slow compared to the prior release, I only use it as a last resort. I use VMWare or VBox depending on which supports the client best for my daily VM needs.

Zwopple

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2008
In my experience Parallels is complete garbage. They have only been out one more year than VMWare Fusion and they are rounding double the number of versions.

I've tried it on multiple occasions ( v3, 4 and 5 ). Version 4 completely crashed my host Mac OS X system at the time and I had to reinstall the entire OS and restore from time machine. Version 5 was a bit better but still rather garbage.

It may be a bit more cutting edge in speeds but not enough to sacrifice stability. The only reason I even boot windows is occasionally for a few programs.

In my experience VirtualBox or VMWare are MUCH better alternatives for similar price tags.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
I have been using parallels since v 4 and its been nothing short of awesome. I dont want to reboot when I need windows and what is even better is its always been fast for me. Awesome speed, awesome USB support.

Used on MBP 2.8GHz C2D, 4GB Ram, 512MB 9600 GT and now on a MBP i7 2.66GHz, 8GB Ram, 512MB 330M GT.

And always used either XP SP3 or Win 7.

I will immediately purchase v 6. :D

+1

I used VMware Fusion but switched to Parallels when it was offered in a MacUpdate bundle a few months ago. I use it with Win 7 Ultimate and have had no issues whatsoever. It is solid, fast and reliable. I will upgrade to V6 when it's available to me for sure.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2005
Do you guys using Parallels 5 notice any lag? I ask because I installed a trial version of Parallels 5 on my late-2008 13" Macbook. Didn't run nearly as smoothly as I would've expected. Wondering if perhaps one of the current Macbook Pros would run it without any lag.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.