Parallels Desktop 10 with OS X Yosemite and iCloud Drive Support Launches for Existing Customers

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 19, 2014.

1. PocketSand11, Aug 20, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2014

PocketSand11 macrumors 6502a

PocketSand11

Parallels 9 says Mavericks or later, so I'm assuming that includes Yosemite, and people have tested it in the beta. Parallels 8 worked with Mavericks after free a minor version update. It seems like you can't stay 2 versions behind if you want the latest OS X since Parallels 7 didn't work with Mavericks, but I know Mavericks broke compatibility with lots of stuff I use, so maybe it was just once. It seems like Parallels 8 would work with Yosemite; has anyone tried?

2. psli09 macrumors member

Anyone upgraded from Parallel 8 to Parallel 10? If so, any issue with the upgrade?

3. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I did. No issues from 8-10. The only VM I have booted since the upgrade is my Win7 and the parallels tools took about 10 minutes and a Win7 restart and everything is up and going.

It was around a 250mb download for the v10 upgrade.

I haven't had a chance to play around yet though so I can't speak for any improvements or new features.

4. psli09 macrumors member

Thanks for the info.

I recall some users were screaming for the torches when they upgraded from 8 to 9 last time. :)

Would anyone suggest to wait until Yosemite is out first and let Parallel works out the bugs BEFORE the upgrade.

Sorry, I only have 1 version experience with Parallel.

5. grundoon macrumors member

grundoon

Okay, as numerous others have pointed out, that's not quite true, and I retract it in part. But it's purely a timing game - it's entirely possible to have to enter at a point that requires paying twice within the first year, even within just a few months. And maybe again in a year, depending on where in the more-or-less 2-year cycle you entered. Happened to me at one point, has happened to many.

Two years ago I calculated that, since autumn of 2008, it had cost me a grand total of $152.25 to keep two Macs (one is running OS X Server) updated. And $499.16 in Parallels + Quicken + Windows updates, just to be able to continue to launch a functional version of Quicken on one of them. (And since then, $19.99 more to Apple, an additional $94.57 to run Quicken... which actually omits the $49.99 I "saved" by skipping a cycle and running Boot Camp instead for a year.)

Current status: I'm still on Windows 7. Quicken 2014 will need an upgrade in a few months to be able to project taxes. Parallels under Yosemite, still a question, though likely also about to need upgrading.

All I've ever needed was the ability to continue running Quicken. I run no other Windows program and haven't needed a single new feature from Intuit or Parallels (or Microsoft) over the entire period. For nothing more than basic continue-to-run-just-like-you-did-yesterday functionality, even updating only when needed rather than every release, comes to about $100/year.

The funny thing is that I'd happily shell out every few years or so just to keep modern, or for performance improvements. But instead of EVER doing a .1 compatibility release - a fine customer relations move - these folks' business plans center on milking their customers, year (or two) after year after year. By forcing me rather than giving me a choice, they earn my disdain rather than my loyalty, and it certainly looks like about 9 of 10 forum posters feel similarly... a simply stunning business model.

6. jkdsteve macrumors member

Same here...it's pretty much an annual upgrade fee now :(

----------

Parallels 8 is working with the Yosemite public beta here.

7. tywebb13 macrumors 68020

To start parallels 9 under yosemite dp6 run this first in terminal:

sudo /Applications/Parallels\ Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/Parallels\ Service.app/Contents/MacOS/prl_disp_service -e

KEEP TERMINAL OPEN

8. vantelimus macrumors newbie

Have some perspective

Have some perspective. You cannot expect a program like Parallels, which requires tight integration with the OS, to integrate perfectly whenever you upgrade to a new version of OS/X. You cannot expect to get all the cool new features in Mavericks if you are running software programmed to Mountain Lion APIs.

If you think Parallels should give you free upgrades with new features then you are being unrealistic. If you are a software developer and you think this, then you are working against your own industry. Don't you think developers at Parallels should be paid for their efforts? If not, then demand they give you a job, without pay, supporting their older products.

----------

Then don't upgrade to Mavericks. Apple is good about supporting previous OS versions for a reasonable period. And if you've been running an older OS version without trouble, you don't really need support. If you want new stuff, then you are going to have to pay for the work that went into creating it.

9. Jeff Chen macrumors member

Jeff Chen

To dear Parallels,

Don't expect me to upgrade until this thing goes down to $14.99.

Ciao.

10. vantelimus macrumors newbie

It seems faster

I've been running Parallels 10 on two different machines now for a couple of hours. Installation was a breeze except for one hitch restarting an XP VM. I had to halt the VM and restart it to install the new Parallels tools. Given that this was XP, I don't think I'll blame that one on Parallels. Things went without a hitch with a Win 8.1 VM.

It does seem faster. Office programs start faster. Files open faster. On games, things seem zippier, which I attribute to better graphics handling.

The only real problem so far was trying to add my iCloud drive while saving an Excel file. It said they were having server problems and to try later. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for a couple of hours as they work out whatever that bug is.

So far not hitch free, but I'm really pleased with the performance improvements.

11. Sandman1969, Aug 20, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2014

Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

I had been running Parallels 8 and never upgraded to 9 as it didn't seem worth it. Only did this since 8 wouldn't run on Yosemite.
    I purchased Parallels 9 on August 8th. However, it had this in the description

"BONUS: When you upgrade to Parallels Desktop 9 you automatically qualify to get our next version of Parallels Desktop at no additional cost to you. "

So I should get 10 for no more cost. You may want to check on that as well. I upgraded since Parallels 7 which I was running wouldn't work on Yosemite Beta.

12. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

Wow, will you look at the masses.

Whether it's iPhones or third party software you're essentially forced into an annual subscription that you have no way of opting out of, because your purchase implodes on day 366.

:rolleyes:

13. vantelimus macrumors newbie

Except, of course, that it isn't true. I have 7 year old macs that are running 10.6 with software purchased at the time that has been working like a champ with no extra annual fees. Get a grip. You can't expect to pay $50 and expect to have free upgrades for life. If you really care about not paying more, then be happy with what you have and jump off the upgrade train.

14. Liberty. macrumors 6502

Would you still recommend Parallels for running Microsoft Office 2013 and 2-3 other applications? Fusion was slower in every review I read ...

15. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

Hmmm.... sounds tempting.

Can I work from home?

16. Steve121178 macrumors 601

Steve121178

Yes. I use one license on 4 of my Macs.

----------

Complex? It's a hypervisor. Nothing more, nothing less.

I use VMware products all day long at work so Fusion is the obvious choice. Parallels is crap in comparison.

17. Supertaff macrumors member

God I hate to hear all this whinging whenever a new version of software comes out and someone has to pay for it.

Very few of these companies stop patching their previous versions of software, they keep them maintained, they don't stop working when the new one comes out to force you to buy a new version. V9 of Parallels is working fine for me with Yosemite, and I did chose to buy version 10, because I like to stay up to date and it works fine as well.

Every year, Ford brings out a new version of it's car's you don't have to then go out to buy a new Ford, you can still keep using the old one.

Technology is driven by innovation, it moves forwards. If you don't want to move forwards fine, stay running Mountain Lion or Mavericks or something older. You don't have to have Yosemite, you make that choice.

I'm happy to pay for my software, I want innovation, I want things to move forwards, for this to happen, we have to pay people, yes real people, to develop the software, to get their arses out of bed in the morning to go to work and write code. Everyone wants to get their stuff for free these days, get a reality check, you wouldn't go to work for free, so why should you get everything for free.

Taff

18. Liberty. macrumors 6502

Either you explain your opinion or you're just a troll :rolleyes:

19. Steve121178 macrumors 601

Steve121178

You are missing the point. There's no reason why previous versions of Parallels can't work properly on later versions of OS X, they purposely ensure they are incompatible.

For example, imagine if Microsoft ensured Office 2011 didn't work on 10.10 and users had to pay to get a version that was 'supported', there would be outrage.

I choose to pay for all my software, but I ensure I invest in products by companies that are not going to leave me short-changed or in a position whereby they stop supporting a product after only a year or two.

----------

I work for a very large company that had two datacentres. In each datacentre there is a huge virtual environment supporting hundreds of VM's as well as a large VDI infrastructure. Parallels is just a waste of space and useless in the real world. It might be fine for a single user wanting to run Windows 7 or 8 on their Mac, but that's about all it's good for. Unless a new version of OS X comes out of course... ;)

20. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

I've been on the beta test for the last few months. I like Parallels 10 - for me it's a worthwhile upgrade over 8. It's stable, it's fast and the new features are useful in my opinion.

As other have said above, there's no need to upgrade every year. 9 will get patched for Yosemite.

21. Liberty. macrumors 6502

No one advertised Parallels as a Business-solution. Of course you're gonna use VMWare or Hyper-V for that. But I'm currently looking for the best way to virtualize Windows 8.1 on my new Macbook Pro and apart from the ****** price-policy Parallels seems to have the better performance :p

22. Steve121178 macrumors 601

Steve121178

Try Fusion for free:

http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion

I think you get 30 days. I find it excellent for 8.1.

23. c0ppo macrumors 65816

c0ppo

I've bought Parallels 8, and later on an upgrade to version 9. And that's all the money they will get from me. Not using parallels any more.

Probably the best software of its kind on mac, and of course it is pricey. I don't mind the price, I just want the best solution money can buy.

But parallels team... OMG! Support? Forget about it. Good software, worst support. That's what you get with Parallels. Annoying like hell. They are there to sell you their product. After they sell you Parallels, that's it. You can't get any support. Sure, you can post bugs.

Just look at their forum. Look at lists of bugs. None are fixed. None. Most of them are fixed with the next version, so pay for the next version. And of course, that version has new bugs that won't be fixed until next year and next version.

I simply hate when someone treats me like an idiot. So cya parallels for good.
    But if you don't mind lousy support, I would recommend to buy parallels. Otherwise, run from them as far as you can.

24. spazzcat macrumors 68030

spazzcat

25. flipnap macrumors 6502

im absolutely floored with the amount of ignorance and hatred on this thread toward parallels. over 3/4 of the replies here are heated flames about nothing (example needing to pay for an upgrade so it will work with Yosemite - not true). Then there's the whole subscription thing people are raging on about. If they charged you for a yearly subscription it would probably be the same price. I don't understand the witch hunt against a company that actually charges for their work.

Nobody is holding you hostage or making you pay. Im sure the programmers over there would like to feed their families with a paycheck. I could understand if they came out and said "were going to start charging 5 dollars a month if you want to use this". listen, you probably only REALLY need to upgrade about every 2 years. I guess I just don't get the hatred and why everyone is so upset when they announce a new upgrade availability. I would much rather have that, then them be quiet for 4 years and have the application suffering.

I guess people would be more happy with a 5 year old product made for "snow leopard" and cant keep up with Yosemite. but hey, you wouldn't have to pay anymore money for it right? or maybe youd prefer apple not release any more new OS systems so that parallels can keep up. see how silly this all sounds?

from what ive seen, this looks like a pretty significant update, with some great speed improvements. I bought a 3 thousand dollar MacBook, I have a job, and paying 50 dollars every couple of years doesn't rank high on my expense list. get a grip