Parallels-how does it divide?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Dobiewonkanobie, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Dobiewonkanobie macrumors regular

I'm going to be running Parallels when I get my new MBP. I was wondering how it partitions the harddrive? Evenly, right down the middle? (160gb=80+80). Or is that something that can be adjusted to preference.

Also how does it make use of the memory? (2.4GHz)

When I was last in the store (Leopard hadn't been released yet) they couldn't answer the question either. When I called apple, the girl couldn't answer the question and suggested i talk to someone in the store.

2. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

It does not partition the drive. It will create a virtual hard drive image. Thats the wonderful world of the VM.

You can set up Parallels to use as much of the CPU and RAM as you like.

Apple CSRs and retail employees will not be the best people to ask. You should contact Parallels.

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Parallels uses virtual partitions (unless you're using a Bootcamp partition). It just creates a file that looks like a Windows harddrive (like a DMG in OS-X).

4. sarah3585 macrumors regular

sarah3585

I have parallels installed. I also have bootcamp so it's used all that data to set up. Where do my saved files go? The XP hard drive has disappeared off my OSX desktop.

5. iBunny macrumors 65816

I dont want to get OT, but.... VM Ware Fusion is superior to Parallels.

6. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

That really is bad.

Working in Apple retail, these people should be knowledgeable about this kind of thing. (Besides.... TBO if you do work in Apple retail, playing around and gathering info about these "toys" should be kind of a hobby too....)
    Especially as potential switcher-buyers will probably want info about Boot Camp, Parallels and VMware before purchasing a Mac.

7. user13 macrumors regular

user13

Maybe it is, whatever. But people are discussing particular problems of a particular program (Parallels Desktop) here. There are other topics to speak about differences between Parallels and Fusion on this forum. Personally, I wouldn't like each Parallels-related topic turn into argument about what's better...