Parallels

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by mikecwest, Aug 22, 2013.

1. mikecwest macrumors 6502a

mikecwest

Did anyone else have Parallels get broken with DP6? After installing Parallels, my virtual machines will no longer allow USB devices to be connected, Parallels gives a PID of 471.

I don't think its a parallels issue, as it worked before the upgrade to DP6, and the SAME virtual machines, and backups of those virtual machines, still work with my backup of DP5.

I don't know if its related or not, but there is a new file in /system/extensions/ called BJUSBLOAD.kext, which spams the console about info.plist being missing. I tried to locate this in my DP5 backup, but it is not there.

I tried reinstalling the latest Parallels, using backups of the virtual machines, and pulling out my "clean" virtual machines. (zipped copies of a fresh windows installation.) I also tried reinstalling parallels tools.

2. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

I can confirm this on my end. (WinXP, Win7 & Win8). Unfortunately, I never tried connecting to USB ports prior to DP6.

I've passed this along to the Parallels team along with a link to this thread.

3. Fimeg macrumors regular

I am not experiencing that issue... Parallels is working fine, and I also don't have that spamming my console.

4. vigilant macrumors 6502

vigilant

Which version of Parallels are you having issues with?

I am running the latest beta and I don't think I've had any issues. I can verify though.

5. mikecwest thread starter macrumors 6502a

mikecwest

I'm running Build 8.0.18608, i don't think I am running the beta version.

6. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

As am I.

7. mikecwest thread starter macrumors 6502a

mikecwest

wish I was on the Parallels 9 beta....does anyone know the build number?

8. ironman159 macrumors regular

ironman159

I can confirm on my end that connecting USB devices to the VM is currently not working. I can only hope that this eventually works out, I don't want to buy Parallels 9 *just* to run it under Mavericks. Parallels have horrible update record.

9. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

You won't have to upgrade just to use your USB ports. :D Version 8 will be updated by the time Mavericks is released.

10. Bear macrumors G3

There's no guarantee that they will update 8 to full Mavericks support. They tend to release a new version with the new OS X so they can charge upgrade fees.

11. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

I don't think Parallels will leave version 8 "crippled" and force an upgrade simply because of Mavericks.

If they do... I'm off to VMware.

12. Bear macrumors G3

They've done that in the past with I think it was Parallels 5 to 6 when going to Lion from Snow Leopard.

13. pdjudd macrumors 601

VMWare tends to do that too since it's so version specific they tend to require bigger upgrades. Not to mention implementing specific OS X things

14. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Working USB ports are not "OSX things". :D And I still don't think Parallels will leave version 8 users high and dry.

Ohhhh.... that would really piss off yours truly.

15. Lankyman macrumors 68000

They also did the same with Lion to ML. :mad:

16. Bear macrumors G3

Actually VMware if they've done it, hasn't done it for as many versions of OS X as Parallels has. And the funny thing is, VMware actually costs less.

17. Bear macrumors G3

With Parallels 9 out now, I say you should be ready to get VMware. A new purchase of VMware Fusion costs the same as the Parallels upgrade does. And you can probably get a discount on VMware by buying it at Amazon.

18. vigilant macrumors 6502

vigilant

Anyone should look at their use and see what makes the most sense.

Parallels was horrible for such a long time but now it's easily as stable but better performing then VMWare.

19. Lankyman macrumors 68000

I tried VMWare last year with their try and decide offer for thirty days. In comparison to Parallels I wasn't overly impressed. In fact I rated Virtual Box a better product and that is free.

20. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

I uh... spoke out of frustration. I really don't want Fusion. :eek: But I'll be damned if I'm going to pay a $50 upgrade fee just to get a USB port to work. :mad: I have a week coming up with nothing to do and will SPAM those bastards at Parallels into oblivion.

Look out internets! Bandwidth is about to slow down to a crawl!

21. mikecwest thread starter macrumors 6502a

mikecwest

I'll have to pay $50.00 to upgrade. I bought it in July. :| Two thumbs down for parallels. I tried to submit a free upgrade request, but was already denied.

22. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

" OS X isn't done until Parallels won't run."

23. Lankyman macrumors 68000

Given the outcry over having to upgrade Parallels when ML was released they may well not pull that stunt again. If they do then I will go back to Virtual Box.

24. Kashsystems macrumors 6502

They will only do a couple minor fixes and tell you they have moved up to Parallels 9. Same thing happen with me with Parallels 7 and a dual monitor bug that was fixed in Parallels 8 but not 7.

The problem was I tried VMWare and it was such a poor product compared to Parallels that I basically waited until 9 to upgrade.

25. Lankyman macrumors 68000

I found the same when I tried out VMWare. I was genuinely suprised and disappointed by this product.