Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mediaboy

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2006
Haven't you ever heard that it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission?!?!

That was my motto growing up and it never lead me wrong.

There are MUCH worse things to spend your money on than a laptop.

BTW, I am not sure what you guys did in college, but there is no reason a new MBP can't last him from now till the end of college. (Aside from beer pong)

College for most = word, email, internet, ppt....

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
You made a good move. College isn't far away, and you'll be able to get it next summer with probably this revision and one after.

Agreed. And as others have said, if you want it to last through college, it is best to get it as close to the start of college as you can.

Wise choice OP to wait.

dolphindolphin

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2008
New York
Wow I did not expect this thread to get this big. BTW my bro is in college so I could use his edu discount. My parents said they would get me a comp for college, but they were a bit shady saying if they would let me choose or not.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Wow I did not expect this thread to get this big. BTW my bro is in college so I could use his edu discount. My parents said they would get me a comp for college, but they were a bit shady saying if they would let me choose or not.

Well, if they are getting you a machine, then either convince them to get you a Mac and use the 2100 to help you get a sweet machine or take whatever they give you and sell it to add to your 2100.

And yes, if you are under 18 your parents do control you money if you live in the US. Don't be a spoiled rich suburban brat.... respect your parents.

Sista

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2008
Sydney, Australia.
I think the OP has made the right decision to wait, and agree with one of the posters here who said to tell your parents it was because of them. That'll make them happy.

I'm about to my buy first Mac anytime soon and my parents are leaving laptop brochures in my room, but they're all PCs. I don't blame them. They asked how much I'll be spending on my mac, I murmured/coughed 'around $2000'. And they see PC laptops for sale for $800 and think I'm getting ripped off. But since they don't know that much about computers, thankfully they understand when I tell them 'but macs are different, they do x, y, z and PCs can't do that'.

tMac85

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2007
in a great place
Well, if they are getting you a machine, then either convince them to get you a Mac and use the 2100 to help you get a sweet machine or take whatever they give you and sell it to add to your 2100.

And yes, if you are under 18 your parents do control you money if you live in the US. Don't be a spoiled rich suburban brat.... respect your parents.

yes...take your parents gift, immediately sell it and take the money. Thats not a slap in the face or anything. thats a great way to say THANKS! please.... great advice!

agree with the "respect your parents" though

m1stake

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Philly
You think you can afford stuff now. But ohhhhhh, wait until your second year of college, if not your second semester. Don't spend money unless you need to spend it.

Having a notebook in college is extremely helpful, but you'll definitely want to wait and get one fresh off the press as you ship out. Having a one year old computer doesn't suck when you start college. But it does suck when you're 3 years in. Wait until the last possible moment, and take the student discount which is a godsend.

Delta608

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2007
Tampa Bay
Unless your paying your own way to college, perhaps the best thing to do would be to respect your parents wishes....

You know that sometimes it is better to wish for something than to actually have it...(Spock)

Jatku

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2008
I'll say that it is nice to have people around with their heads on straight to keep you from doing the things you probably really shouldn't. I'll give myself as an example. I had a good amount of money, and bought what I wanted. I ended up needing the money for something that popped up, and now I have a good sized credit card bill. I'm not saying this will happen to you, but maybe later you'll find something else you would have rather spent your money on.

Later on, when your parents decide to get you a computer (I think you said they would), you could see if they will split the cost of a more expensive machine instead of just buying you a POS. If you need more to convince them, say you were considering programming or graphic design or some crap like that. Much easier on you to make them somewhat happy than just saying, "it's my money, and I'll do what I want!"

Artofilm

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
At the end of it all, you should listen to their advice, but not be controlled by them.

You are 17 and your parents have to start treating you like you can make your own decisions whether they think it's right or wrong.

You did the work for the money, buy what you wish with it. Get a buddy to drive you to a store, and just withdraw the money cash you need to buy it.

You can't be 20 and being whipped by your parents. Sometimes the parent is wrong.
It's not the child's job to make the parents happy, if anything, it's the other way around. They should be happy that you are an individual and not a robot.

ManWithhat

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2008
I'd wait . . if not for a better / cheaper price, then just for the educational discount. Also, this may not be true for future MBPs if the pricing changes, but if you join the ADC (Apple Developer Connection) for $100 as a student, it will give you one purchase in the ADC store. MBPs there are $200 cheaper than the educational discount store. So you'll be saving $100.

macrumorsMaster

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2008
I'd hate to be YOUR parents

the child's job to make the parents happy, if anything, it's the other way around.

After all the parent has done for the child, the child doesn't owe anything to the parent??? There's the root of the problem with American society (and why there is the existence of so many nursing homes). Your parents raised you and didn't ask anything from you, except respect and to follow their rules (which helps prepare you to follow societal rules). Is it so hard for a child to think of taking care of their parents in their old age? Or do you just visit them on holidays in the old folks home?

They should be happy that you are an individual and not a robot.
There's a difference between being a robot and showing respect for your parents wisdom.

Also, unless you're doing heavy video editing or 3-d graphics, a MB will serve you just fine and save you $$ which you can use towards college. Since Dolphin's 17, and hasn't mentioned why he NEEDED the power of a MBP, I can only assume he WANTED the top of the line, but didn't really NEED it.

If you get it through Amazon you can save tax, or get it through the edu store. I'm sure you're parents will look at the MB's price tag as being more reasonable.

brop52

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2007
Michigan
College is just modern society's way to defer responsibility and increase the time of adolescence. If you think you are an adult at age 17 think again. You still live under your parents roof. Even in college, if they pay your tuition and expenses you better believe that they can still dictate what you do with their money. Whether you respect their decisions or not is up to you, and if you do it to an extreme degree you better start working and applying for scholarships, grants, and loans.

In the OPs case, this may be his money, but there are better ways to handle this showing that he can act like an adult with money rather than the defiant child. (Which is the goal of the parents after all).

Long story short: Wait a year and talk it out with your parents. Perhaps you would be able to save some of your money for college when you will really need it for books and other things. If you show that you have respected their decision-making, maybe you can meet your parents half way as a grad present on a good Mac notebook that you can use for your four years of school.

nope7308

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I'm just wrapping up my undergrad now, so looking back, here is what I would recommend.

1) Buy the computer right before school starts. Technology gets obsolete fast, so buy it as late as you can (you really won't benefit from a laptop in the summer anyway). Besides, you'll probably get a free iPod if you buy in Sept. (on top of the edu discount).

2) I would suggest the MB instead of the MBP. Given your typical needs, the MB is more than enough (word, movies, a few games, etc.) and it's much more cost effective. The new models (Oct. 14?) will probably be quite nice, and from your parents perspective, this will be a 'compromise' (they may actually pay for it). A HUGE point is weight! The MB is lighter than the MBP and, from my experience, it is designed perfectly for the college/university student. That is, unless you're doing hardcore video/photo editing, the MBP is overkill.

3) Laptops, although convenient, are in no way necessary for college/university. A desktop would easily do and there are always library computers. If you want a laptop, go ahead and spoil yourself (I did), but don't feel that you have to. The iMac is just as good and will probably last you much longer. There is also the possibility of buying an iMac and a cheap netbook for portability - just something to think about.

Finally, SAVE as much money as you can. Eventually, you'll move out of residence and be responsible for RENT and GROCERIES. Once you factor in the cost of beer, college/university life is really quite expensive.

P.S. Work your ass off for scholarships, then spend the money on booze. I did, and I have absolutely no regrets! Work hard, party hard!

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
I have a powerbook 1.5ghz 15'' which was one of the best laptops in the world in its time, and I have just recently bought a macbook.

I love the macbook, and I'm perfectly happy with it. Advantages of the macbook:

- cheaper to buy and to insure.
- 3 year applecare is cheaper *always buy applecare with laptops*
- less to pay if it gets stolen
- I feel more relaxed about pulling it out in cafes and on the bus.
- ** lighter ** than a MBP (I would pay more for a lighter MBP, but the MB is cheaper AND lighter so it's a win-win) Weight means everything when you are carrying it every day.
- I had some spare cash to spend on putting 4GB of RAM and a 320GB HD in it.

For me, the 4GB is absolutely necessary - it's transformed the MB. I run Final Cut Express on it, which is pretty demanding, and it's fine.

Don't forget you will need college money for vital things like a cheap laser printer, connection to the internet, a carry case for the MB, a backup HD to use with Time Machine (absolutely vital - don't let all your college work vanish in a drop or overnight theft).

If you want to have a strong say in your parent's choice of laptop for you, I suggest offering to pay half of the price. Any parent would be happy to share the cost of an expensive gift with their son or daughter - it shows your maturity, your awareness of the value of money, your willingness to take responsibility, and commitment to making good use and taking good care of their gift.

Hope that helps.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
Alright so here's the deal,

I saved up about 2100 for a new mpb and im obviously waiting for the new release. I told my parents about my intended purchase with great enthusiasm, but they weren't as optimistic. They told me to wait until college, and I responded saying that it was my own money. For some reason they think that they have control of what I do with my own money. I also tried telling them the whole spiel about macs having a better os, specs, more versitile, etc. They still were adamant. Any ideas?

Thanks a bunch,

matt

Matt,

Are you paying for room and board now, clothing, transportation and other expenses? Perhaps you are discounting these things, since your parents "have always" paid for those; but keep in mind that they could just stop paying. Then you would be trying to live on $2100 which would be quite unpleasant. Your parents may be letting you think the $2100 you earned is "your money", but that's only an illusion so that "you can learn some responsibility." If you aren't paying for your living expenses, it really is not your money-- that is just a fiction. So listen to your parents advice-- they appear to have your own interest at heart and seem to have a good sense of priorities.

Buy the way, I noticed you said you've "saved" $2100, not "earned" it. Where did this come from-- birthday presents?

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
At the end of it all, you should listen to their advice, but not be controlled by them.

You are 17 and your parents have to start treating you like you can make your own decisions whether they think it's right or wrong.

You did the work for the money, buy what you wish with it. Get a buddy to drive you to a store, and just withdraw the money cash you need to buy it.

You can't be 20 and being whipped by your parents. Sometimes the parent is wrong.
It's not the child's job to make the parents happy, if anything, it's the other way around. They should be happy that you are an individual and not a robot.

You sound as though you are maybe 20 and know everything. Unfortunately a 17 year old is more likely to take advice from someone your age, rather than from an actual adult.

jbrenn

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
mbp

you do not need a laptop the first two years. most of the freshmen classes the teachers will not allow laptops anyway. you just need access to a computer. i would wait tell revision 3 comes out it would be about a year and a half. then you get the education discount right now it is $200 which covers most of applecare and you get a discount on that as well. if you wait you will get a much better computer and most of the bugs will be fixed.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
As a parent (mind you, of much younger kids), I can see their point. I'd hang on. They're probably trying to ensure you get the most money for your value by waiting. Better mbp's will be out then and as silly as it sounds, it might be better suited for when you're in school at that time.

Also, if they're paying for your education, I wouldn't go against them. Just hang in there. Let your money grow in the bank and keep saving. If you have a computer at home now, then there's no need for a laptop.

good luck,
Keebler

fteter

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2008
To the OP:

I'm a parent of several kids...some in college, some graduated, and some who passed on college altogether. I won't get into the aspects of whether or not you have a right to spend your own money in a way you see fit...every home has different rules and the rules in your home are none of my business. However, I think some tips for obtaining the support of your folks may be helpful here.

If one of my children came to me wanting to purchase a new computer (yes, even with their own money at age 17), I'd be much more likely to support that purchase if the child had an important or value-added purpose in mind for that computer. The computer (and may Steve Jobs have mercy on my soul for saying this :p) is a means to an end, not an end unto itself.

For example, one of our younger sons (at about age 17, as I recall) came to us about three years ago with exactly the same request: wanted to buy a laptop computer. However, he did not start the discussion with the need for a computer. He began by explaining he wanted to start a custom T-shirt business during his senior year of high school. He then laid out a business plan for the operation (a project from a business class taken in his junior year). Then he brought up the need for the computer to fill design needs (company logo, T-shirt designs, that sort of thing). He already had the computer picked out and explained why that particular computer was the best choice for his needs. He sold me...to the point that I bought the computer and suggested he keep his money to fund other areas of his startup. BTW, the business did great for a year - he wrapped it up when he left for school.

Shortly afterwards, one of his sisters approached me with a request for a computer. Her basis was "I want to surf the web, manage photos, burn some CDs...and, besides, it's only fair because you just bought one for Joe". No sale. When she came back in another year with more compelling and urgent needs, I supported her computer purchase as well. See the difference?

Your folks are just trying to do what they think is best for you, so don't be too harsh on 'em. Sometime we parents get it right and sometimes we get it wrong (wish children came with user manuals), but we usually have good intentions at heart. If you think out your compelling needs for a computer and lay out a well-thought-out request in front of your folks, they're more likely to support you in your purchase...regardless of when you decided to buy.

Hope this helps!

reidconti

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2008
Uh... if you're going to college next year, you really should wait. Four years pushes it on the life of a computer anyway. That machine probably won't be able to do what you want it to in five years when you're still in school...

Nah. When I started college, the Powerbooks were G4's (800mhz maybe?) and the iBook line had a 500mhz G3 and a 600mhz G3. I bought a 600mhz G3 and used it for 5 years no problem.

If he buys a brand-new MacBook Pro after the refresh, it'll be more than fine.

davbeck

macrumors regular
May 16, 2008
Reno, NV
do you really want a MBP?

As a college student with a MacBook Pro, I would not advise you to get a MBP for college.

The company I work for bought my computer, and didn't give me much choice. Don't get me wrong, the MBP is what I need for my job and is a great machine. But if I was paying for a computer, I would go with the MB.

the only difference between the top MacBook and the low MBP is 2" and $500. that 2" can be very anoying, and the weight too. Desks in college are tiny. I have trouble balancing my MBP on them.

It is true that you don't really need a laptop in college. A computer yes, but not a laptop. If you can stand it, go with an iMac. they have huge screens, and are much faster.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.