Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

One of Tim Cook's first acts when he became CEO of Apple was to institute a charitable matching program for employees. Under the program, Apple would match employees' personal contributions to 501(c)(3) charitable organizations up to $10,000 per year. However, the program initially only applied to US-based full-time employees.

Now, it seems Apple has expanded the program to include part-time US employees as well, and covering international workers soon, according to a tweet from the Apple Retail Workers Union twitter account.

aaplretailunion.jpg

As of November 2011, some two months after the program went into effect, Apple had matched $1.3 million in employee contributions, with the $2.6 million dollars donated in total.

Article Link: Part-Time Apple Employees Now Eligible to Participate in Charitable Matching Program

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
1.3 million? Wow! That's almost one ten thousandth of one percent of their last quarter's profits!

sparks05

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2011
Colorado
Impressed

Though there are tax write-offs for charitable donations, I'm still impressed with Tim Cook's fast implementation and focus on creating one of the best charitable donation programs of any company in the world.

----------

1.3 million? Wow! That's almost one ten thousandth of one percent of their last quarter's profits!

Very true, but money is money. In absolute terms this is a generous program. If only Steve Jobs had implemented it earlier.

But I'm more excited about employees receiving $250 off an iPad purchase and $500 off a mac purchase, haha. I guess my "heart is on the wrong place"

scott911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2009
burndesignlab.org would appreciate some APPL loving! :)

I'm not employed by BURN - just think they're awesome.

ericinboston

macrumors 68010
Jan 13, 2008
very nice total for 2+ months of a program.

But for a company with 60,000+ FULL TIME employees, that $2.6 million needs to continue to equate to about $15mill a year in donations....as well as donations from Apple itself. 1.3 million divided by 60,000 employees is $21 per employee for the 2 months...or about $120/year per employee if they continue to give.

Sure, nobody HAS to give anything, but it's the right thing to do as a large corporation in the USA...as well as being a super duper over-performing company.

I think Jobs was a bit of a Scrooge...seems Tim's new policies on employee discounts and company matching are a new chapter in Apple's missing "Giving Back" Chapter of the company's history.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I could gripe about 2.6 mil being a small number compared to....but I won't. It's something, and better than nothing.

More would be nice...but I think any move in the right direction (tax deductible or not) is commendable.:)

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
The number is what it is because it's a match program, dependent upon how much EMPLOYEES contribute. Apple may make other charitable contributions on their own (as does my employer) but how can this number be any higher unless employees *elect* to contribute more?

How much does any one of us elect to give to charity in proportion to our disposable income?

Companies don't have to do a match program. The ones that do are being brand smart and charitable at the same time.

Never look a gift horse in the mouth.

wilfried

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2008
Modest as this is, why did it have to wait for Steve to die to happen? While I admire him for the many things he did achieve, the (apparent) lack of concern for the wider world in which he lived was not among his admirable traits.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I think Jobs was a bit of a Scrooge...seems Tim's new policies on employee discounts and company matching are a new chapter in Apple's missing "Giving Back" Chapter of the company's history.

Apple still has a long way to go before they even make it to piss poor on Giving back. They are WAY WAY behind the rest of the industry in the matching program much less everything else.

iTattoo

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2007
Toronto
Modest as this is, why did it have to wait for Steve to die to happen? While I admire him for the many things he did achieve, the (apparent) lack of concern for the wider world in which he lived was not among his admirable traits.

Steve Jobs was a very private person. We don't know how much he gave to charity. We do know that Tim Cook is a smart guy, and realizes that Apple, even if it gave a way a ton of money, would get negative PR unless people find out about it.

ericinboston

macrumors 68010
Jan 13, 2008
Apple still has a long way to go before they even make it to piss poor on Giving back. They are WAY WAY behind the rest of the industry in the matching program much less everything else.

I've worked for about 6 companies since 1994...ranging from public to private and 60 employees to over 300,000 employees...all have had some kind of matching gift program.

It's very sad that Apple, for decades, never had such a program...especially since the past 10+ years Apple has had nothing but huge success, huge earnings, huge success, and huge profits. Pretty disgusting that Apple has tens of billions of dollars in the bank but can't match (until now) a few million dollars every year (which is also very likely tax deductible or some kind of write-off). THE EMPLOYEES are giving (as we now see) but Apple refused to give. Great job, Apple. Way to set an example.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Though there are tax write-offs for charitable donations, I'm still impressed with Tim Cook's fast implementation and focus on creating one of the best charitable donation programs of any company in the world.

I wouldn't jump too fast to give Tim all the credit. Such programs have too many legal issues to sort through to happen in just a couple of weeks

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

Well if only enough folks apply for a match for that much . . .

----------

Steve Jobs was a student of Buddhism, which believes that announcing your charity is more about your ego than actual charity. He may have given billions and we would never know because his name isn't on it.

dbo789

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2009
Canada
I wouldn't jump too fast to give Tim all the credit. Such programs have too many legal issues to sort through to happen in just a couple of weeks

There's a number of third party companies that help facilitate these types of programs, and in fact often have turnkey solutions. I doubt Apple had to set it up from the ground floor by itself.

anonApple said:
The Apple Retail Workers tweeter sounds a little bitter.

The posts in this thread sound a little bitter.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
There's a number of third party companies that help facilitate these types of programs, and in fact often have turnkey solutions. I doubt Apple had to set it up from the ground floor by itself.

Even then it can't be done in a couple of weeks, making the implication that Jobs retired and the next day Tim had this brilliant idea and blam it's on false

Aussieiphone

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2009
Why?

Are people earning $8/hr donating money?

Shouldn't they be the ones being donated to?

Shouldn't the taxation system be used to fund social programs rather than relaying on the kindness of rich people/corporations?

(fyi these are all rhetorical questions) :)

Ncognito125

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm surprised any apple retail employee can afford to donate...they pay peanuts.

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
I guess non-retail employees are more honestly paid than their counterparts.

Shouldn't they be the ones being donated to?
Aha so true. Most retail employees here are heavily indebted students.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.